Random refund after MSC cruise

Haljo1935

Less than a month after returning from my first MSC cruise I received a random, unexpected refund of $63. That amount doesn't match any amount on my cruise docs and I was at a zero balance when I disembarked.

I did cash for the week and cashed out very late the final night; booked and paid through TA, so MSC never had my cc number.

Any idea what this would be for?

I was status matched to Diamond and didn't use the specialty dining or the 1 hour spa benefits, but pretty sure they wouldn't have paid me not to, lol.

2 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Missed port (refund of port charges)?

No itinerary changes or missed ports; we overnighted at Ocean Cay and spent a day in Nassau. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Less than a month after returning from my first MSC cruise I received a random, unexpected refund of $63. That amount doesn't match any amount on my cruise docs and I was at a zero balance when I disembarked.

I did cash for the week and cashed out very late the final night; booked and paid through TA, so MSC never had my cc number.

I was status matched to Diamond and didn't use the specialty dining or the 1 hour spa benefits, but pretty sure they wouldn't have paid me not to, lol.

Was it a check in the mail?  If you are any roll calls....did you ask anyone else if they got $$$?

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Woo Hoo....not often one gets a gift especially from MSC! 

Buy that tank of gas or a "few" items from the grocery store! Congrats!!! 😆

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Was it a check in the mail?  If you are any roll calls....did you ask anyone else if they got $$$?

It was a cc refund, not a check. I'll pop onto some recent roll calls...

35 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

It was a cc refund, not a check. I'll pop onto some recent roll calls...

If they never had your cc number...how could they issue a refund.   Is it possible that it's from some other company?  Or does the description say "MSC cruises"?

• Like 1

Your TA generally will use your credit card in the MSC system so they probably did have it. When you paid, did the transaction say your agent's company name or MSC? If it said MSC, then MSC has your card info. 

7 minutes ago, Spudd said:

Your TA generally will use your credit card in the MSC system so they probably did have it. When you paid, did the transaction say your agent's company name or MSC? If it said MSC, then MSC has your card info. 

..wow.. I have never heard that any company uses credit card information of customers for transactions with another party.

I am curious ..

Does a TA have all information of the customer’s credit card (number, expiration date, CVV/CVC number)?

How are they keeping this data safe ?

Payments are usually handled by Point-of-sale or online credit card systems. The merchant has no access to the full credit card information but can refund the customer via the same credit card system.

I don’t know since I have not used a TA since the internet was released to the public (30+ years ago).

The cc number was used to pay for the original booking through my TA - it was not transferred to them.

The transaction shows as "MSC Cruises"

Screenshot_20240915_164044_NavyFederal.thumb.jpg.01b1b9218c5dbf10f3004f0d20dc2da6.jpg

and the full details have their phone number. It was auto assigned to "travel" I did not do that.

Screenshot_20240915_164120_NavyFederal.thumb.jpg.8e0f16ff26eed9c0498f9634ebcaa402.jpg

13 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Maybe the refund was for overpayment.

Have you checked the price of the booking and the amount initially charged to your credit card ?

No, I didn't think of that.

22 minutes ago, Dock B said:

As 63 is evenly divisible by 9, there may have been a transposition error on your final payment. So if you overpaid due to that transposition, MSC has refunded the error.

👍🏻

Transposed numbers resulting in 63

70 ~ 07

81 ~ 18

92 ~ 29

.. maybe just a typo of the TA ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2024 at 7:14 AM, Haljo1935 said:

Didn't you have to register your cc on board for incidentals? Maybe that's how they have your cc info.

1 minute ago, dns20 said:

Didn't you have to register your cc on board for incidentals? Maybe that's how they have your cc info.

No, as I mentioned, I did cash deposit onboard. 

So, it's curious about them having my cc details, but I assumed that was through the TA booking.

More interested in why I received a refund.🤷‍♀️

3 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

It's possible the so-called "port charges" at either of the ports went down so MSC refunded those reduced charges back to you.

Could be. $63 is a high port fee for 2 ports, especially since 1 is their private island. 

But no idea what else it could be if the cruise fare was charged correctly.