QE out of Seattle next year… a question

buchanan101

57 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Hotel booked. Close to Pike Market. Hilton points coming in useful... not a lot left, 350+ days out... LHR car parking I guess, and the cat at the cattery...

I *can* wait as when it happens I'm a year older and a year closer to... ☹️

I'm still waiting to hear which flights I'm on but I have booked my LHR hotel based on assuming it will be BA and Terminal 5.  Is that correct for your flight?

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm still waiting to hear which flights I'm on but I have booked my LHR hotel based on assuming it will be BA and Terminal 5.  Is that correct for your flight?

Most (almost all) BA are out of T5 and I think all intercontinental are (?).  My flight next year is from T5. Are you BA because Virgin and Delta at least also do Seattle. They WON’T be T5 as that’s almost entirely if not entirely BA. 

only one hotel on site at T5. Stayed there once. Can be reasonably priced depending…

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Most (almost all) BA are out of T5 and I think all intercontinental are (?).  My flight next year is from T5. Are you BA because Virgin and Delta at least also do Seattle. They WON’T be T5 as that’s almost entirely if not entirely BA. 

only one hotel on site at T5. Stayed there once. Can be reasonably priced depending…

I am almost certain it will be BA as my TA generally uses them as she has an arrangement to use them if possible.  I have booked the Sofitel as I had a deal available for booking another London property.  It was a reasonable price and I wanted a hotel where I did not need to rely on taxi/bus to get there.  I will be using public transport to get there - train to Woking and then the rail bus. 

23 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I am almost certain it will be BA as my TA generally uses them as she has an arrangement to use them if possible.  I have booked the Sofitel as I had a deal available for booking another London property.  It was a reasonable price and I wanted a hotel where I did not need to rely on taxi/bus to get there.  I will be using public transport to get there - train to Woking and then the rail bus. 

The Sofitel is rubbish for bed side sockets…why do they design hotels like that these days. 

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

The Sofitel is rubbish for bed side sockets…why do they design hotels like that these days. 

I think I'll cope! I only carry my mobile, the less electronic stuff the better in my case. 

Surprised it was opened in 2008 so older than we might think.

Edited by Megabear2

8 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

Absolutely! It's one of my favourite parts of going on holiday.

My planning spreadsheets are epic. You should have seen what I produced for two months in New Zealand.

I am with you and @buchanan101. I feel very proud and find it a blast to research and plan a trip. June 2023’s five days in London/five days driving around Bath/Cotswolds/Wales, then taking the QM2 home was a perfect trip. Plus, I received great help from fellow Cunard CC members about getting around and driving (for the first time) in the UK. Same with Vancouver/QE/Alaska this year. These land/sea combos suit me very well. 

• Like 1

@NE John How was the driving? Assume you hired an automatic? I wouldn’t go back to a manual now though my Alfa has flappy paddles for manual changes..

Cotswolds are lovely but full of tourists 😉. Bourton on the Water especially 

Yes, most of Seattle/Alaska booked. Year after is NYC/QM2 to Quebec/Montreal. Too early to book anything unfortunately but it’s planned in my head… Virgin points used to NYC, BA Avios back from Montreal…

2027? Who knows…

6 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

@NE John How was the driving? Assume you hired an automatic? I wouldn’t go back to a manual now though my Alfa has flappy paddles for manual changes..

Cotswolds are lovely but full of tourists 😉. Bourton on the Water especially 

Yes, most of Seattle/Alaska booked. Year after is NYC/QM2 to Quebec/Montreal. Too early to book anything unfortunately but it’s planned in my head… Virgin points used to NYC, BA Avios back from Montreal…

2027? Who knows…

I grew up with a manual transmission so I drove in Britain with a manual. It took about 10 minutes to get the hang of driving in Britain. Some B roads were a challenge by squeezing between hedgerows on one side and lorries on the other and DW holding on for dear life. No road rage that I saw, unlike in the US. Loved it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NE John said:

I grew up with a manual transmission so I drove in Britain with a manual. It took about 10 minutes to get the hang of driving in Britain. Some B roads were a challenge by squeezing between hedgerows on one side and lorries on the other and DW holding on for dear life. No road rage that I saw, unlike in the US. Loved it. 

There can be road rage, but in general I think we are fairly considerate drivers (though with varying levels of competence); the UK roads are the safest (or joint safest with Sweden) roads in Europe. Our road deaths per capita are a fifth of the US - a stat I find quite staggering (1,600/year v 42,000) - and you guys drive tanks... maybe it's because we are always stuck in traffic..

• Haha 1

QE will dock at terminal 91 at the north end of the bay I assume since that is where all Carnival Ships dock. The downtown terminal has Norwegian.  Tons of cabs. I see people walking from downtown to the terminal. Just don’t do it! It looks like a short route but there are lots of twists and turns.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, techteach said:

QE will dock at terminal 91 at the north end of the bay I assume since that is where all Carnival Ships dock. The downtown terminal has Norwegian.  Tons of cabs. I see people walking from downtown to the terminal. Just don’t do it! It looks like a short route but there are lots of twists and turns.

Thanks for getting back on topic…I thought this was the topic from the first time Cunard pax going to London and doing the QM2. 

• Haha 2