Rookie ?: Are gratuities included when one books a suite on NCL (Sun to be specific)?

dlh015

I hadn't noticed that in the literature...but when I received my 'confirmation of amenities' email, it had an entry in it:

PSCSHS     Prepaid Service Charge for Suites & The Haven       Day 1 in cabin     0.00

Note that this was an upgrade I decided to do....from a balcony to a front facing suite (surprise for DW on her 74th...).

If it is included, I will need to make an adjustment as I prepaid grats when I made the original booking... 

TIA

dlh015

You’ve chosen a lovely upgrade to a Suite on the Sun to surprise DW on her birthday!  So very thoughtful.  I’m sure she’ll love it 😊

Unfortunately, I can’t see much of anything you posted after “TIA” (may just be me?). 

I can’t help you with your actual question since I’ve never had an upgrade like this.  (Perhaps your TA or NCL can help??) 

If you let the ship staff know in advance that your DW is celebrating a birthday, they will likely be able to provide decorations (or something) to mark her special day, 

Wishing you both a wonderful cruise!

Leets

• Thanks 1

unless you specifically check the box gratuities are never included, you get billed at the end of the cruise. also, remember that the gratuity fees on a haven suite are $25 per person per day,

and do not include any gratuities for your butler or concierge. these are separate, should you choose to tip them. IMHO, it doesnt hurt to slip the maitre d an extra $20, especially if your ship has a haven restaurant.

Dont mind me, though, we tend to tip everyone that performs a service for us

you steward will also make up your cabin twice per day rather than once, so an additional gratuity should also go to him/her

• Like 1

@dlh015

My reading of what I see is that you have NOT paid any DSC/PSC for your suite.

Firstly what does your Confirmation Email actually show?

A recent one for us 

Doc3.docx

Note that there are Zero figures for the Bev Ser Chg and the Din Ser Chg as they are built into our fare here in NZ.   If you have Free at Sea and are not in NZ or Aus you may well have actual figures for those items.

Then we have a charge for "Prepaid Service Charge" to show that we have paid the PSV along with our fare.   You should have something similar if you have paid the PSV    (Our next cruises don't even show the DSC but have 2 x Australia Service Charge Balconies and Below in the "Add-ons" and so they are built in the actual fare too.)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dlh015 said:

I hadn't noticed that in the literature...but when I received my 'confirmation of amenities' email, it had an entry in it:

PSCSHS     Prepaid Service Charge for Suites & The Haven       Day 1 in cabin     0.00

Note that this was an upgrade I decided to do....from a balcony to a front facing suite (surprise for DW on her 74th...).

If it is included, I will need to make an adjustment as I prepaid grats when I made the original booking... 

TIA

If you prepaid gratuities on your original booking, then they should have transferred over on your upgrade. Check your confirmation on the upgrade and give NCL a call to confirm.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dlh015 said:

TIA

You mention that you prepaid the grats.

The daily service charge, not to be confused with gratuities, is $20 pp/pd in a balcony. It is $25 pp/pd in a suite. You may need to pay an additional $5pp/pd since you are in a suite. This is what you prepaid.

Be aware that the butlers and concierge do not participate in the daily service charge distribution and you should give a gratuity separately if you use their services. 

Sorry for butchering the wording...I prepaid the DSC...and paid the extra $5/pdpp when I upgraded to a suite. 

I am aware that the butler and concierge are not included in that. I always tip them separately.

When I make changes (like to a different category SR) I get two emails from NCL. One is the booking confirmation with all the details...the other one is an  'Amenity Confirmation.'

The amenity one has the line I posted in my OP. Not sure why that is there as I paid for the DSC...don't see how it is now an amenity?? But I assume that is the way NCL bookkeeping works?

The DSC is listed in my Booking Confirmation. It is paid. (the suite rate)

I suppose I should just have asked:

Are Pre-Paid service charges (the DSC) ever a perk given to Suite passengers on NCL?

I just want to make sure I'm not paying for something that was a perk for a Suite. (the DSC) 

On 9/16/2024 at 9:51 PM, dlh015 said:

TIA

Hello Tia welcome to CC.  NCL does not charge gratuities other than on certain add on items (such as the drink packages).  You pay those whether you purchase the package or get it as part of the FAS.  Read the FAQ in the NCL page for details.

NCL does charge a daily service charge.  It is described in the FAQ as well.  From time-to*time they will offer the DSC as part of the FAS but it is not included in any cabin type by default.  To know exactly what is included in your booking call your PCC.

It also depends on the country you are booking with as some countries include the DSC with the fare. There are also travel agents who will also pay it for you.

However in a suite you have butlers and the concierge who are not part of the DSC pool and need to be tipped accordingly.