DV4 cabins do you hear noise from 2 floors down

bobolz

I have been reading past comments about noise from Torshavn and theater for those who are in staterooms directly above those venues (Floor 3) but wondering if anyone  has experienced noise on floor 4 rooms from those same venues. We are in rooms 4056 and 4054 which appear to be 2 floors above Torshavn . Wondering if 4 th floor rooms above the atrium experience any noise since there are no floor 3 staterooms below. I feel for anyone in the 3rd floor rooms that have to experience any unwanted sounds    As a result of elevated noise from these public areas and am hoping it’s not that bad for them, but each of us have different tolerance levels, so maybe the noise only bothers some

I would welcome any experience others may have had with 4th floor rooms as mentioned above.

thanks in advance 

I agree with @Peregrina651 re the tenders.

Personal experience after more than 7 or 8 Viking Ocean Cruises, where we have always been on Deck 3 but mid-ship to mid-ship Aft, we have never had noise issues.  We are up before tenders are being launched.

When we did have noise issues was deck 3 forward.  You can hear rehearsal in the Star Theatre in the afternoon, and the show until it is done, but we never heard anything from Torshavn

Edited by CDNPolar

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I agree with @Peregrina651 re the tenders.

Personal experience after more than 7 or 8 Viking Ocean Cruises, where we have always been on Deck 3 but mid-ship to mid-ship Aft, we have never had noise issues.  We are up before tenders are being launched.

When we did have noise issues was deck 3 forward.  You can hear rehearsal in the Star Theatre in the afternoon, and the show until it is done, but we never heard anything from Torshavn

Noise after you are up is still noise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, duquephart said:

Noise after you are up is still noise.

Quite right.  However, we are rarely in the cabin unless we are sleeping, showering, or changing.  I know that everyone has their cabin needs, but we are rarely there.  If we are awake, then noise is noise and it is okay with us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Quite right.  However, we are rarely in the cabin unless we are sleeping, showering, or changing.  I know that everyone has their cabin needs, but we are rarely there.  If we are awake, then noise is noise and it is okay with us.

Interesting perspective and highlights differences which isn't a bad thing. 

I hate hearing noises (neighbors, performers, diners, etc.) when in my cabin, no matter the time of day or how infrequently I'm there.  That's the main factor in our cabin selection - even above cabin size/category.

Thanks for the replies so far. I expect noise from tender or anchor operations as well as the thrusters when they are docking/undocking  especially staying in lower level rooms.we have been pretty lucky with avoiding noise from neighbors or infrequent hallway chatter. However I am sensitive to loud music with base and constant chatter from a public space especially during sleeping hours. 

from the responses so far, I think we will be ok where we are on deck 4 and not moving to above the atrium. Unless others have time to chime in. 

. Thanks again 

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I just accept that noise on a ship is part of cruising.  From hangers rattling, to whatever is squeaking and creaking as you sail. 

Lol

On our last cruise we heard banging in the stateroom next door. Then we noticed furniture on the veranda and end tables in the hallway. We asked our steward about it and he told us they were replacing the carpet in the room due to a bad stain. Personally I think it had to be some sort of hazmat situation such as blood or sewage. I smelled no sewage so it had to be something extreme to cause them to change the carpeting mid voyage. I didn’t even know this was an option.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

31 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

.....it had to be something extreme to cause them to change the carpeting mid voyage. I didn’t even know this was an option.

On our Far East Voyage on Orion, they replaced some of the carpet in the Explorer's Lounge and all of the carpet in front of the staterooms on deck 7.

2 hours ago, millybess said:

On our Far East Voyage on Orion, they replaced some of the carpet in the Explorer's Lounge and all of the carpet in front of the staterooms on deck 7.

As well as both the hallway and actual cabin carpets (below you in “steerage”) ☹️. It was done in under 4 hours, unfortunately the outgassing lasted many days. You chose wisely to be higher up! 🍺🥌

8 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

As well as both the hallway and actual cabin carpets (below you in “steerage”) ☹️. It was done in under 4 hours, unfortunately the outgassing lasted many days. You chose wisely to be higher up! 🍺🥌

We were doing laundry on 5 and we thought we could smell glue on the stairs and beyond. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

Gawd I hope they don’t do this on one of our cruises! Migraine city said the kitty! 🙀🙀🙀🙀

I have to admit, it did give me a headache, but it quickly went away once I got some fresh air outside. 

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Lol

On our last cruise we heard banging in the stateroom next door. Then we noticed furniture on the veranda and end tables in the hallway. We asked our steward about it and he told us they were replacing the carpet in the room due to a bad stain. Personally I think it had to be some sort of hazmat situation such as blood or sewage. I smelled no sewage so it had to be something extreme to cause them to change the carpeting mid voyage. I didn’t even know this was an option.

On one of our Viking Ocean cruises, the steward bringing our morning pot of coffee tripped when he entered the room on his way to our coffee table.  Coffee drenched the carpet. When we came back after an excursion later in the day, the carpet had been steam cleaned, but the stain was still there. The next afternoon, when we returned from an excursion, the stained part of the carpeting had been replaced. You could barely detect a difference because the pattern of the carpeting fools the eye. We were amazed that they decided to replace it so quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Australia08 said:

On one of our Viking Ocean cruises, the steward bringing our morning pot of coffee tripped when he entered the room on his way to our coffee table.  Coffee drenched the carpet. When we came back after an excursion later in the day, the carpet had been steam cleaned, but the stain was still there. The next afternoon, when we returned from an excursion, the stained part of the carpeting had been replaced. You could barely detect a difference because the pattern of the carpeting fools the eye. We were amazed that they decided to replace it so quickly. 

And we had no odor from the carpet change. 

I have watched many shorts and YouTubes where cruise lines can change things out during a cruise.  They are well stocked to do this and have to be because the ship cannot just head back to a dock to have renos done.

11 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Gawd I hope they don’t do this on one of our cruises! Migraine city said the kitty! 🙀🙀🙀🙀

They did ask/inform us a few days before. I’ve no idea what alternate arrangements they might have suggested if we had objected, but if you encounter the situation, be sure to ask. 

We found it very difficult for several days, but felt worse for the stewards, who spent countless extra hours vacuuming to try and reduce the problem - and who took to wearing masks in an attempt to minimize the impact. At least we could leave the area. 

It didn’t ruin the trip, but I’d be more recalcitrant another time. 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1