Amsterdam flight post cruise day

The airport is relatively quick and easy to get to, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The airport itself is another challenge altogether.  For whatever reason, our two recent trips leaving from AMS (2023 and 2024) have been just slow and stressful messes.  We've flown United both times, so they may be a bit of the issue - slow gate/luggage check in process and totally understaffed up there.  But even if United was perfect, the security line and process seemed interminable vs most other airports we fly through.  I gave them security a "pass" last month because at least they had the excuse of having just pulled a knife out of some guy's carry on, and that triggered super cautious carry on bag screening starting just about as we were getting scanned. 😞. 30+ mins standing around while ONE agent searches each carry-on is a SLOW process.  The time in 2023 seemed to be almost as bad, but for no obvious reason.

IOW, I'd build a little wiggle room into the flight times and consider arriving 3hrs before the minimum as a firm rule.

Our last cruise ended in Rotterdam, and that was an insanely quick and easy disembarkation. Not sure how Amsterdam compares, though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

The airport is relatively quick and easy to get to, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The airport itself is another challenge altogether.  For whatever reason, our two recent trips leaving from AMS (2023 and 2024) have been just slow and stressful messes.  We've flown United both times, so they may be a bit of the issue - slow gate/luggage check in process and totally understaffed up there.  But even if United was perfect, the security line and process seemed interminable vs most other airports we fly through.  I gave them security a "pass" last month because at least they had the excuse of having just pulled a knife out of some guy's carry on, and that triggered super cautious carry on bag screening starting just about as we were getting scanned. 😞. 30+ mins standing around while ONE agent searches each carry-on is a SLOW process.  The time in 2023 seemed to be almost as bad, but for no obvious reason.

IOW, I'd build a little wiggle room into the flight times and consider arriving 3hrs before the minimum as a firm rule.

Our last cruise ended in Rotterdam, and that was an insanely quick and easy disembarkation. Not sure how Amsterdam compares, though.

We flew out of Amsterdam this past July and echo your statements.  The airport is interesting.  You would think it should be easy, but tedious is a good way to describe it.  
Our flight departured at 3pm and we had plenty of time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happy2bee said:

What would be a safe time to book a flight from Amsterdam after disembarking?

Howdy @happy2bee from a fellow Texan!

To help you out, your new thread was off topic where posted and has been moved to the Ports of Call - Europe - British Isles/Western Europe forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have flown from there after debarking frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you have posted! Please click here Cruise Critic Community for all our various discussion forum categories. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this thread. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 2

3 hours ago, morfred said:

I look forward to any answers here. We have a 1pm flight back to the US. I am not sure if that will be enough time.

I think 1 pm is good.   If you ship docks at 7, and you self carry luggage you should be off by 8.    The airport is less than an hour away, but say 1 hour to be safe.  You are still at AMS by 9 am - 4 hours before flight.

• Like 1