MDR & jeans

Hobar

On 10/15/2024 at 3:41 AM, markham said:

Hahahaha ha.

The “designer” in “designer jeans” is a con. They we/are just blue jeans with faux “I need this” fashion statement provenance. Most of us remember the brand that started it all in NY; it started with the letter J and they claimed to “have the look”, for all you Trivia mavens. And surely it’s become very profitable for those merchandisers and investors in the business. You betcha.

So now they’re in the mainstream vocabulary. Just as dockers and hiking pants are. But they’re nothing more than mass market leisurewear. Nothing to do with elegance at all, nor are those who wear them for dinner in the MDR. 

Works for camping, painting, gardening, farming and barbecues though every time, as I am sure we can all agree.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I only apply my personal clothing standards to self and husband lol. I cannot for the life of me understand how what someone I dont know is wearing  in the dining room ruins my cruise. Do people not go out at home, or are they just hankering for the standards of the past to be applied by Seabourn?

• Like 7

On 10/16/2024 at 8:59 PM, lincslady said:

It is just that you don't see them much out and about in the UK these days.  When a man wears a jacket - a 'casual' one rather than a suit, it is more likely to be tweed, or a plain fabric, like linen,  than a blazer.  I think most Brits. would agree with me on that one.  And now much more likely to be chino type trousers, not grey flannels which were almost de rigueur.

I agree, the blazer combo isnt seen much nowadays. I do find some terms like pants, pant suit rather strange in the UK nowadays....I always think unsderwear lol

It is intriguing, when do trousers become chinos, when do chinos become jeans. Do the same standards apply to women?

I have always thought it was more embarrassing to overdress than underdress a little!

20 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

I agree, the blazer combo isnt seen much nowadays. I do find some terms like pants, pant suit rather strange in the UK nowadays....I always think unsderwear lol

It is intriguing, when do trousers become chinos, when do chinos become jeans. Do the same standards apply to women?

I have always thought it was more embarrassing to overdress than underdress a little!

Chinos which we call Khaki pants in the US are made from a twill fabric, not a denim fabric like jeans.  Some are dry clean only and are akin to dress pants.  Remember, we have a different dress culture in the US from you in the UK.  Different terminology and somewhat different dress cultures.  That doesn't make either of them wrong.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Chinos which we call Khaki pants in the US are made from a twill fabric, not a denim fabric like jeans.  Some are dry clean only and are akin to dress pants.  Remember, we have a different dress culture in the US from you in the UK.  Different terminology and somewhat different dress cultures.  That doesn't make either of them wrong.  

I do agree that dress terminology and standards vary considerably in different cultures. I guess thats why a single standard must be difficult to understand, never mind enforce!

In the UK Chinos are a lighter  cotton fabric for summer wear generally. They come in a wide range of colours and are often in a western jean style. They range in quality from supermarket brands upwards like most clothing. I'd refer to the type of trouser you describe as trousers!

Vive la difference!

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

The interesting thing to me is noticing the differences in mode of dress among passengers on different legs of a Seabourn cruise.  This last summer we had three different legs on our cruise--two of 7 days each and then a 14 day leg.  The second seven day leg had the "best dressed" or dressiest passengers.  So many of them dressed beautifully for dinner in the MDR.  I had not seen that in a while on a SB cruise.  

What did you infer/conclude from this? Was the second leg from a more fashion-conscious (whatever that means!) country/locale?

7 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

I do agree that dress terminology and standards vary considerably in different cultures. I guess thats why a single standard must be difficult to understand, never mind enforce!

In the UK Chinos are a lighter  cotton fabric for summer wear generally. They come in a wide range of colours and are often in a western jean style. They range in quality from supermarket brands upwards like most clothing. I'd refer to the type of trouser you describe as trousers!

Vive la difference!

Chinos/Khakis in the US are not a jeans cut, they are a trouser cut.  And not just for summer--especially if you live in Texas!  We have a very different climate.  We can have 85 degrees Fahrenheit at the end of November.  We are almost a tropical climate.  We have a thing called tropical weight wool.  When we talk about Khakis here---we are only talking about a range of khaki colored trousers.  And the term pants and trousers are pretty much used in every day speech interchangeably.  Trousers are the proper word of course, but they are so often called pants.  Our supermarkets don't usually sell clothing, but yes, there are inexpensive brands of khakis on up to $200 and higher for higher quality.  They can have cuffs or no cuffs.   No wonder people from the UK sometimes disapprove of how Americans dress.  And we are shocked by the idea of red and green pants on men from the UK!  By the way, one of our sons lived in London for three plus years (got married there) and I remember he had some red(ish)  pants!  

3 hours ago, Mahogany said:

What did you infer/conclude from this? Was the second leg from a more fashion-conscious (whatever that means!) country/locale?

It was just another group of passengers--pointing out that no two cruises are alike in terms of who is onboard.  The first seven day group was somewhat dour.  Just my totally subjective observations.  

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Chinos/Khakis in the US are not a jeans cut, they are a trouser cut.  And not just for summer--especially if you live in Texas!  We have a very different climate.  We can have 85 degrees Fahrenheit at the end of November.  We are almost a tropical climate.  We have a thing called tropical weight wool.  When we talk about Khakis here---we are only talking about a range of khaki colored trousers.  And the term pants and trousers are pretty much used in every day speech interchangeably.  Trousers are the proper word of course, but they are so often called pants.  Our supermarkets don't usually sell clothing, but yes, there are inexpensive brands of khakis on up to $200 and higher for higher quality.  They can have cuffs or no cuffs.   No wonder people from the UK sometimes disapprove of how Americans dress.  And we are shocked by the idea of red and green pants on men from the UK!  By the way, one of our sons lived in London for three plus years (got married there) and I remember he had some red(ish)  pants!  

We do have red pants in the US… Nantucket Reds!  It’s a wonderful color. 

Reds are worn predominantly by summer residents of Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Cape Cod in place of khakis or chinos. Because both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are popular vacation destinations for wealthy north easterners, reds have become associated with northeastern preppy style and culture.

1 minute ago, OilPainter2020 said:

We do have red pants in the US… Nantucket Reds!  It’s a wonderful color. 

Reds are worn predominantly by summer residents of Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Cape Cod in place of khakis or chinos. Because both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are popular vacation destinations for wealthy north easterners, reds have become associated with northeastern preppy style and culture.

Oh yes!  I forgot about Nantucket red pants!!  Good catch.  They are not worn in our part of the country unless people bring them from Nantucket!

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

Our supermarkets don't usually sell clothing, but yes, there are inexpensive brands of khakis on up to $200 and higher for higher quality.  

This is exactly my issue when I hear people complain about jeans.  It seems many will criticize jeans while seemingly being fine with a pair of khaki painter's pants (work pants) because the material isn't denim.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Breckski said:

This is exactly my issue when I hear people complain about jeans.  It seems many will criticize jeans while seemingly being fine with a pair of khaki painter's pants (work pants) because the material isn't denim.  

The trousers I am talking about are not work pants and not painter's pants.  There are all kinds of khaki colored pants/trousers.  We are talking about high end trousers.  Lots of miscommunication here.  Here's one example:  https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/zanella-mens-parker-twill-trousers-prod275430124?childItemId=NMNCJ2S_2A&msid=4889722&position=1

And I am not one of the complainers about jeans.  

Edited by SLSD

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The trousers I am talking about are not work pants and not painter's pants.  There are all kinds of khaki colored pants/trousers.  We are talking about high end trousers.  Lots of miscommunication here.  Here's one example:  https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/zanella-mens-parker-twill-trousers-prod275430124?childItemId=NMNCJ2S_2A&msid=4889722&position=1

And I am not one of the complainers about jeans.  

I understand but you originally said from inexpensive up to $200.  I'm talking about the inexpensive ones that are like the workers pants.  They meet the restaurant requirements on most lines but are never criticized.  I know there are nicer khakis, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I've seen many people wearing painter's pants or very similar on cruises and never see people complain about them on this forum, but constant criticism of jean.  I'm simply pointing out what I view as hypocrisy.  Or my favorite hiking pants the zip off legs - but they are not made of denim.

2 minutes ago, whirldcruzrs said:

I am amazed at how much time and passion some people have on this topic. Seriously, who cares - except for a handful of posters?! 

I agree.  Only a few people are upset about jeans and I am not one of them.  I was just trying to explain to people in the UK about dressier khaki trousers that can be worn with navy sports coats.  Obviously we have no control over what kind of trousers/pants/jeans grown men choose to wear.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I agree.  Only a few people are upset about jeans and I am not one of them.  I was just trying to explain to people in the UK about dressier khaki trousers that can be worn with navy sports coats.  Obviously we have no control over what kind of trousers/pants/jeans grown men choose to wear.  

Thank you for the information it was very illuminating. What the debate exposes I guess is that it would be almost impossible to impose a standard based on clothing (with the exception of swimwear etc) because of the different nationalities, regions, age groups etc,

I'm more interested in what's inside than the wrapping!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

Well, I learnt something.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I think most of us in the UK already know what kind of trousers can/should  be worn with a navy jacket/blazer.  Certainly those who can afford to cruise.

You would think so, but one never knows. I do think that some in the UK may not understand why men in the US don't always wear wool tweed sports coats.  We love them, but they are not practical in some climates and the US is a large country with quite a few different climate areas.  .    

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SLSD said:

Oh yes!  I forgot about Nantucket red pants!!  Good catch.  They are not worn in our part of the country unless people bring them from Nantucket!

I always pack my husband's Nantucket Reds when we vacation/cruise.  We live in Arizona, so I like to call them Adobe Brick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony UK said:

Thank you for the information it was very illuminating. What the debate exposes I guess is that it would be almost impossible to impose a standard based on clothing (with the exception of swimwear etc) because of the different nationalities, regions, age groups etc,

I'm more interested in what's inside than the wrapping!!

Speaking of swimwear: you're right, there isn't a distinction that I know of. IMHO speedo-type swimwear should be outlawed if your belly hangs over the fabric! And bikinis look fabulous on fabulous bodies (which I unfortunately never had!).