Pre-Paid Gratuities

cruisemate2007

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

At least you called it what it is. Am I the only one to realize that "prepaid gratuities" is a contradiction in terms?

Reminds me of the new trend these days with the purchase of just about anything by credit card in the USA - and the merchants all "blame" the processing apps.   Where you buy something, usually food or services, at a counter and you have to pay for it ahead of time.  Many of the new apps immediately force you to make a pre-paid tip decision (in front of the cashier) before any service of any kind has been made.   And if you find that hidden link that says "no tip", then they know it and can give you bad service.  Ahh  what this world is coming to!

It would be interesting to try an experiment on Viking.  Cancel the automatic tip and pay what you want, and then see if the next cruise you take you get poor service (assuming they now recorded that on your profile for the staff to see ahead of time).

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

It would be interesting to try an experiment on Viking.  Cancel the automatic tip and pay what you want, and then see if the next cruise you take you get poor service (assuming they now recorded that on your profile for the staff to see ahead of time).

I have removed the full gratuity before and not had bad service on the next cruise.

This would be similar to issuing Uber Start ratings to the guests and I think that could be a long dangerous slippery slope for Viking if they did something like that.

My belief is that Viking crew are trained and expected to give excellent service regardless of who you are.

My husband and I disagree on this whole subject which is why to keep the peace we (I)  just pay the gratuity.

I would rather NOT have the gratuity added and pay hand tips to those I want to.  I know that they are the people that are public facing like servers and cabin stewards, but that is the service industry.  These are the people that typically get tips.  I also know that Viking really does not want cash floating all over the ship going into the hands of some people.  This would create conflict I am sure in the ranks.

I am not demeaning the position, but if you take a job as a laundry worker, you are a laundry worker and you should be paid market rate for your job.  Your job should not be based on anonymous tips from people you never see or interact with.

In North America I wish that they would either be included in the fare, or just taken away and allow us to decide at the end of the cruise.  I have asked Viking in writing in verbally for an explanation of how the tips are distributed and they are vague at best with their answer.

I recently abandoned an online order with a company that I had never used before that at checkout put a tip screen on for the "behind the scenes workers" that help to get my package out.  What?  This is a warehouse pick and pack and shipping operation.  Now you want me to add a tip to this "service".  Nope.  I bought a similar product elsewhere.  I could have said NO, but, I decided that I did not like the suggestion that I should tip in this kind of situation, so they lost my sale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1