P.O.A. Rental car Inquiry

LobsterStalker

First time to Hawaii , and first time on P.O.A. coming up fast in 3 weeks

Looking for port specific Info regarding renting cars at all 4 stops; Kahului, Hilo ,Kona ,As well as Nawiliwili .

Are there multiple agencies ?

How far are the rental agencies from the port ?

What are the transportation options to agencies ? Cab/Uber/Walking distance ?

Anyone with a working knowledge of any of these , or recent experience willing to take the time to share would be greatly appreciated

Thx in advance

Cheers

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

First time to Hawaii , and first time on P.O.A. coming up fast in 3 weeks

Looking for port specific Info regarding renting cars at all 4 stops; Kahului, Hilo ,Kona ,As well as Nawiliwili .

Are there multiple agencies ?

How far are the rental agencies from the port ?

Anyone with a working knowledge of any of these , or recent experience willing to take the time to share would be greatly appreciated

Thx in advance

Cheers

Hello @LobsterStalker

To help you out, your new thread was off topic where posted and has been moved to the Ports of Call - Hawaii forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that live there or have been there frequent this forum and provide feedback. Browse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

13 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

It's a broad question in that every island is a little different. There are countless threads about this-- I would encourage you to look through the Hawaii section and search under rentals. There is a wealth of recent information. 

13 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

The only places you can reliably count on Uber/Lyft is in Honolulu and Kahului. Otherwise it's local taxis and shuttles (when available). Again, this is well outlined in several recent posts and would encourage you to take a look as the collected info is extensive. 

• Like 1

Princeton123211 is correct. Lots of recent posts on this topic.

i, myself recently posted of my rental experience when we were on the POA 2 weeks ago.

In a nutshell here’s what I reported.

All of the rental companies are at the airports. None are in walking distance. I think only one has a shuttle. Ours did not ( Hertz)

We rented cars in each port except Kona, and had no trouble finding cabs to the airports. We did not use Uber, but others did.

From a previous experience, I see no reason to rent in Kona. It’s a tender port and time is short. If you go to VNP while in Hilo, there’s not much else to see.

If renting a car, purchase and download the Guide Along app for the Hawaiian Islands for directions and commentary. It is invaluable.

Finally,  if you are going in 3 weeks, I wouldn’t wait any longer to secure a rental car.

Cruise season has just started in Hawaii with the other Lines.