How much extra to tip for really excellent service, at end of Princess cruise?

Jetswdo

On 9/24/2024 at 9:37 PM, Bgwest said:

Identifying staff you want to commend in the post cruise survey, and naming names (very important) is, I've been told, far more important to the individual crew member than cash. 

Of course, one can always do both!

But only if you complete the survey within 48 hours or so.  Otherwise, the crew mentions are disregarded, which is ludicrous and disrespectful to crew and guests alike. 

As for additional tips, our rule of thumb on 10-night cruises which we did a lot of for years was an extra $10 per day for each of us spread among steward, waiters, head waiter and bar staff. If we were doing a series of B2B cruises, I only distributed extra tips every second cruise, because I wrote a thank you each time for each person, highlighting something special they had done, and that takes a lot of time.  Laundry personnel always got a thank you note and a huge bag of snack sized candy, usually M&Ms, before we disembarked at the end. 

I’m sure that was more than some, less than others but it felt right to us and I believe that, in the end, the crew knew how much they meant to our vacation and that they were much appreciated.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

But only if you complete the survey within 48 hours or so.  Otherwise, the crew mentions are disregarded, which is ludicrous and disrespectful to crew and guests alike. 

As for additional tips, our rule of thumb on 10-night cruises which we did a lot of for years was an extra $10 per day for each of us spread among steward, waiters, head waiter and bar staff. If we were doing a series of B2B cruises, I only distributed extra tips every second cruise, because I wrote a thank you each time for each person, highlighting something special they had done, and that takes a lot of time.  Laundry personnel always got a thank you note and a huge bag of snack sized candy, usually M&Ms, before we disembarked at the end. 

I’m sure that was more than some, less than others but it felt right to us and I believe that, in the end, the crew knew how much they meant to our vacation and that they were much appreciated.

Basic note what I said to start. Tipping is an individual decision. No One should another person that they are tipping too much or too little. I do have an issue with folks who remove the CA saying they make too much anyway or say it’s not my culture. If you are sailing from an area where tipping is a norm you should abide by the that. When I travel to areas where tipping is not not normal then I follow that practice

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Never heard this before now. Are you absolutely certain about this?

16 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Never heard this before now. Are you absolutely certain about this?

It was discussed here a few months ago with a few people agreeing that they had gotten this info from HGM or someone who should know. I’m still a little salty about it, considering how much time I’ve spent over the years singing crew praises on the survey, but usually at least a week after we disembarked. 

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

It was discussed here a few months ago with a few people agreeing that they had gotten this info from HGM or someone who should know. I’m still a little salty about it, considering how much time I’ve spent over the years singing crew praises on the survey, but usually at least a week after we disembarked. 

Dang. Sounds legit. The information, that is. The policy sounds despicable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Basic note what I said to start. Tipping is an individual decision. No One should another person that they are tipping too much or too little. I do have an issue with folks who remove the CA saying they make too much anyway or say it’s not my culture. If you are sailing from an area where tipping is a norm you should abide by the that. When I travel to areas where tipping is not not normal then I follow that practice

You start off starting Tipping is an individual decision.  Then having an issue with someone doesn't agree with "tipping is a norm".  Who's to say what a norm is?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rideev said:

You start off starting Tipping is an individual decision.  Then having an issue with someone doesn't agree with "tipping is a norm".  Who's to say what a norm is?

I believe people should adhere to the norms where they are. I tip around 20% in the US for meals. In parts of Europe almost no tipping. I follow the norm where I am. I have always said that

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

I believe people should adhere to the norms where they are. I tip around 20% in the US for meals. In parts of Europe almost no tipping. I follow the norm where I am. I have always said that

The norms may or may not be what's best.  It depends on who is claiming it to be a norm. As a previous delivery driver, once 40 years ago, and then again for a couple of years just a year ago, not many people tipped what most people called "the norm.". Most didn't come close, and I drove all over the country.  

I like your first comment where tipping is an individual decision.  And that is the correct answer. 

Currently staying in a hotel getting ready to get on a ship and they add 20% gratuity to every restaurant bill.  There is a line for additional gratuity.  Nope.  I'm gonna leave that blank.  But you do you.

• Like 1