How much cash to bring?

btregoning

If you tip your cabin steward with USD, I figure they'll consolidate with the other tips they get, and convert them to Euros or Philippine pesos or whatever when they get home.  The extra hassle for them is much better than no tip at all, which is the alternative if you have no other cash.  For good or bad, the Yankee Greenback is used all over the world, and holds value better than other currency.

My only new piece of advice I haven't seen mentioned is always have them charge you in the local currency.  The card machine can have this option to be charged the home currency of your card, or local currency.  It is sometimes worded poorly.  The difference is that paying local currency your bank sets the exchange rate, otherwise it is the local merchant/owner of the ATM getting a nice conversion fee.  Some places can be pretty annoying with this. and tell you they are doing you a favor.  They're not.

A better explanation:  

https://www.investopedia.com/dynamic-currency-conversion-dcc-term-4769305

In years past over our many trips to the USA my DH made sure he had a sufficiency of dollar bills and when I joined him it was one of his first priorities to ensure I had the same. So no problem Asia to a certain extent the same but in whatever local tender. Although I agree that Europe can for regular tippers be somewhat problematical. To tip or not to tip that is the question whether it be safer to do so and therefore avoid embarrassment or to do so and throw caution to the winds. U.K. don’t worry unless it’s the doorman at say Claridge’s  Hotel  London note the position of his hand it’s a clue. Most restaurants have a service charge and any server if asked ‘do you get an included tip’ will answer. Although these days the youngsters are very happy to accept recognition for good service and I for one don’t blame them. Most people these days earn a living wage, tipping came about because this was not always the case. 
Wherever your traveling to in this world Europe included a few pennies in the local money is most probably a sensible precaution if not used put it in a safe place to be used or not on your next visit across the pond.