HAL, Nieuw Amerstedsm, room +

RetiredTravelered

We just reserved our room for July 13, D6C, northbound, out of Vancouver, 2 nites in Denali. We will be on the Nieuw Amersterdam. We are very excited, and very thankful to everyone who has replied to our questions. It's all been very helpful. 

We have a Veranda room on the 6th deck. Very excited. But we have one question. 

We have read that Veranda rooms are preferred. And we have heard that MID ship is preferred. Yet, on the Nieuw Amerstedsm, on the 6th Deck for sure - and I think 7th also, all MID section rooms are Suites (SS). 

We are totally fine with our room. And we would not want to pay for a Suite. But it seems like there are no MID section  Veranda rooms. Surely, we are overlooking something?

Edited by RetiredTravelered

They aren't really "suites" - they are essentially veranda rooms that have been named Vista Suites.  Over the years the names have changed.  Very confusing.  Once upon a time on the "Penthouse" cabins were called "suites" and even what is now a Pinnacle Suite was just called a "Deluxe Veranda" -  So try not to worry too much about the name.  It's all location, location, location, when it comes to cabins that are the same size - they charge more for "preferable" locations and might even change the names.  "Veranda" is a fancy word for "balcony" and sometimes "suite" just means located in a spot that commands a larger fare. ******So, all "suites" have "verandas" but not all veranda rooms are called "suites!!"******  Sigh..   Just take a cabin you like that fits your budget.  One thing you MIGHT want to keep in mind is that certain suites give you more credits toward mariner status, but seeing as this is your first cruise, I think my former advice is sufficient. Enjoy!  Planning and being excited is half the journey!!

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moriah said:

They aren't really "suites" - they are essentially veranda rooms that have been named Vista Suites.

Incorrect.....Nieuw Amsterdam does not have Vista Suites.  Deck 6 mid ships is SS Signature Suites and Deck 8 has SY Signature Suites.  The suites on Deck 7 are Neptune Suites.  Mid ship Vista Suites are on Pinnacle Class ships on decks 4~8.

@RetiredTravelered you are not 'missing anything'.  Generalisation is that mid ship rooms have less movement than rooms forward or aft.  But if the ship doesn't have them in that position then you have to select the next best.  There are mid ship Verandah cabins on Deck 5 (may or may not be already sold), or select a verandah room as close to the mid ship area as possible.

Look at the full deck plans.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/NA/pdf/hal-na-deckplan-01222024.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RetiredTravelered said:

We just reserved our room for July 13, D6C, northbound, out of Vancouver

8 hours ago, RetiredTravelered said:

We have a Veranda room on the 6th deck

I have cruised on NA in Alaska from Vancouver several times and I believe that any veranda on deck six (other than in the very forward few cabins) will be great! Deck 6 is my preferred location on NA!

~Nancy