Pricing 25 and 26 absurd.

steve thfc

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

I truly appreciate people feeling priced out, but this is happening on almost every cruise line, not just Virgin.

Did you see the recent  Carnival Corp report? They earned one billion dollars more year over year, and last year was their record. It was a 60% revenue increase.

Many lines are claiming more than 50% of their 2025 berths are already sold, and when I look at finding space for clients, I believe them. Especially Alaska.

I can't tell you how many people I have worked with who said "I'm going elsewhere" and then they price out similar sailings on other lines and they get more sticker shock. Then they say "OK I'm booking a land vacation" and then they say "Oops cruising is a better value."  Not too long ago I priced a very mediocre hotel in Frankfurt for 6 nights for a client--$2,000. No meals, no entertainment, no transportation.

It truly feels bad that the days of the really cheap cruise and piling up tons of OBC, but those days are gone...for now.  Some deals are still out there, but you got to really know where to look, and be willing to make compromises.

If enough people don't cruise, prices will come down.

This is very well said, and I think it's also a reminder that while emotion can play a part in how people view the value of a cruise, it isn't a good guide to decision making. If people are angry and upset that prices are rising (and they don't feel they're getting anything more for the higher prices), their emotional reaction may be "well, that's it, I'm done with this line, I'm taking my money elsewhere." And then, as @Gretchendz rightly points out, they soon find out that many other lines are doing the same. MSC was pretty cheap in the beginning, but their prices have risen, too (including Yacht Club). We had a cruise on NCL booked for June 2025 to Norway and Iceland, and then they cancelled it due to a charter (and we got our deposits back), but then they re-offered the same cruise a couple of weeks earlier than the first itinerary, but, lo and behold, the same itinerary cost more the second time around. This isn't uncommon. We just deal with it, because where we live, everything costs more than it did a year ago. I'm not sure why some people think cruising should be immune from inflation, but it isn't.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 2

Between the Loot and Bar Tab, I've really enjoyed leaving the VV ships with little or no charge to my credit card.  However, the current prices are more than I'm willing to pay for what amounts to something I've done several times with them.

I can't say that I love the price structure on other lines, but the overall costs are no worse than VV at this point.  My family is booked on one cruise in 2025, on a line we haven't tried before.--I think it will be our 7th line in the almost 30 years we've been cruising.  That's down from our normal 2 or even 3 per year, but it will satisfy the "cruise bug."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, steve thfc said:

6800 for sea terrace is too much. With no credit the drinks bill another 600+ at least. 

That's over 900 a night. Makes no sense when not a luxury product 

Right, we get it, prices have gotten too high for you. I think you've made your point, no need to keep belaboring it. By contrast, we paid just under $3,300 for a 7-night cruise in a regular Sea Terrace cabin and got $400 in Bar Tab, so we're pretty stoked. 🙂 

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

Would you mind sharing which line?

NCL in Alaska.  It wasn't our first choice, but  are traveling with others.  Total slightly under $4K for a week including the "Free at Sea" package (you pay the tips that would have been charged if it wasn't "free.")

We've done Alaska on Celebrity and Princess, but this is really about going with friends.

• Thanks 1

I am also a virgin voyager who benefited from great opening deals, partly boosted by incentives from cancellations, up until now I got Greek Island Glow for £1100, Irresistible Med rockstar corner for £3000, 17 nights from Cape Town £1600. Things definitely look more expensive and I don't blame them in a way because people rave about virgin so are probably prepared to pay.

There's still some good offers. There are Caribbean itineraries next year which are good value I think, I'm on a great itinerary from San Juan for £2600 total and the LA to Vancouver in 2026 is also great value. 

• Like 2

FWIW, I think VV is moving in the right direction, at least for folks like me. The prices for 2025 really aren't that much more than I've paid for recent sailings on Royal and VV's experience/product intrigues me a lot more. The itineraries did keep me away in the past, but with the new ones they've introduced, they are now offering long enough sailings to be worth the travel (5 days ain't gonna do it) and several options visiting ports we haven't seen. I'm sure there are some prices that are really out there, but there are perfectly reasonable prices too. I was even able to find an option in 2026 that meets the needs of the more budget-conscious friends we plan to cruise with.I doubt VV is ever the clear winner on value (agree Yacht Club is hard to beat there) and certainly if you're expecting $3300 for rockstar you'll probably be disappointed, but with a bit of flexibility VV can certainly be competitive and, if we like our first cruise on VV, we may just end up back in early 2026.

• Like 3

In 2023 they had a very hard time selling Med cruises, I ended up getting a "free" Med cruise with credit card points, the sailing was maybe at 50% capacity.

In January 2024 I was looking again at their 2024 Med cruises and the price was crazy, over time it continued to decrease as I'm assuming it was not selling. 

I ended up doing another credit card points offer for the 2024 Med cruise.  I obviously stopped looking at the prices, but it ended up being sold out.  When talking to fellow passengers on board many were on the cruise for pretty cheap.  Seems a bit backwards to price the cruises crazy high, just to do fire sales weeks/months before the sailing to fill the ship.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, cantgetin said:

We've done Alaska on Celebrity and Princess, but this is really about going with friends

I'll ask you this again (after NCL) but a hint now would be fun. Which Alaska one was your favorite?

Edited by Cloud9 Bob
  • Like 1

Just now, Cloud9 Bob said:

I'll ask you this again (after NCL) but a hint now would be fun. Which one was your favorite?

Hard to answer.  We got a complimentary upgrade to a "window suite" on Princess which include all the suite perks. There was a special area of the dining room for suite guests only which included one or more special items each night, seating as "just us" unless requested otherwise, etc.   We also did some great excursions.  But Princess is Princess--nothing special about the ship, etc.  It was one of their older ships from the late 1990s, and needed some "love." It has since been sold to another line and they have a new ship with the same name. They made a big deal about "Puppies in the Piazza" which amounted to standing in line for a long time for a 30 second pet and photo op with sled dog puppies.  We also did a B2B, so going up and back gave us a lot more excursion options.  We saw more because we went out of Vancouver.

Celebrity, the ship, in general was better--better food, better entertainment on board.  We did private excursions on this one.  Dinner seating was a table for 6 which was less than optimal. Same age ship within a year or two, but better maintained. They had the worst looking "characters" I've ever seen at each port--it looked like the actors were wearing bath mats.  On the other hand, when we returned to the ship at each stop, we were greeted with hot chocolate and a warm wash cloth--very nice touch.

The thing is that for us, Alaska is about the scenery, wildlife, and the people we are with a whole lot more than the ship itself.  I would cruise Princess again only if it was an itinerary that I couldn't get elsewhere.  We also did them in Japan--great trip, nothing to do with the ship or line.  I would do Celebrity again, all things considered.  BUT in fairness, both of these trips were  slightly pre-covid, and there have been a lot of changes since then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2024 at 1:37 PM, steve thfc said:

7 day Portsmouth, zebrugge, amsterdam, le verdon

7 day nyc Halifax, Boston etc. Brilliant lady .

Prices were identical. No drinks included, no obc. 500 discount if paid in full.

I'm sailing on the European itinerary- September 2025 on Scarlet. Booked in January. It was $4000 with $950 Sailor Loot and $300 bar tab for a XL sea terrace. Not cheap, but I think it's well worth it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It doesnt surprise me that prices went up. 1. Travel has recovered and people have a willingness to spend and

2.. Most important IMO,,,is that demand, specficially for VV is insane since "word has spread". We sailed for the first time in May Adriatic 7 nights and EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE who was new to the line were sold on their product. 1. no kids. 2. Classier crowd 2. The FOOD, the FOOD!... so many times I heard " VV has ruinied other lines for us". These were mainly Americans too who have sailed many other lines. 

I get many who repeat VV, find the enterainment repetetive. ( same with other lines you repeat) but everyforum, board or group I am in  are raving about VV especially their dining concept. the food is great compared to other lines and the no money grabbing for tips or upsells.  

I have been looking at May25 sailings and its double for what we are looking at. 

I get many here are saying VV is not a luxury line, but charging lux prices.. well so does Disney.. I see VV kinda like DCL.. it has a niche.. instead of charging double because of a mouse, you have VV charging double becuase you dont have annoying kids who like a mouse. 

Edited by mousefan73
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Swells1 said:

I'm sailing on the European itinerary- September 2025 on Scarlet. Booked in January. It was $4000 with $950 Sailor Loot and $300 bar tab for a XL sea terrace. Not cheap, but I think it's well worth it.

That is a good deal. I'd happily pay that again. 

• Like 1

Having followed this thread through, I found it all very interesting.

Prices have gone up, and some of the "once in a lifetime" type voyages have become very high, but generally, for what they are charging on other voyages, all still in a sound "happy point" for me. 

As we have noted before, the people in VV have changed from the 2021/2022 sailings to a different type of sailor. What was (generally) pretty full, happy people up for fun, trying new things and experiences, to now a crowd who often sit stoney-faced in shows, saying it is "not for us" and wanting more drinks for less money. Some people have also been pretty political on their views when, in a show, there may be an LGBT+ kiss or hug. 

Not all lines are meant for all people. If people do not like the pricing, booking the restaurants or not having free booze on demand, just change lines and move on. Life is hard, and so is paying for the good stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lustate said:

Some people have also been pretty political on their views when, in a show, there may be an LGBT+ kiss or hug. 

Really? Why on earth would anyone with that political persuasion or a tedious bible basher (usually both) opt for a Virgin cruise? There are plenty of much more conservative lines out there.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Really? Why on earth would anyone with that political persuasion or a tedious bible basher (usually both) opt for a Virgin cruise? 

Once to us at Test Kitchen we saw a couple get seated along the bar type seats to our side. We heard a bit of chatting (as they were hardly quiet), and they asked to be moved from us as "that couple are putting us off eating here". which is a lovely little bit of homophobia. Lucky for us the waiter moved them to the other side so they did not have to risk "catching the gay". lol

A cheap trip, with little research, can mean people just "chance it" and find they are not the type of people the rest of the virgin sailors would expect to be on board. 

Edited by Lustate
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see whether VV changes its personality to suit some of the different types of people who sail with them. I hope not, because I like variety, but in a for-profit industry like cruising, there's also what I like to call the California phenomenon: people from California move to other states to get away from Cali and then proceed to transform their new state into their old one. What if VV gets tons of complaints from the easily-offended and then decides to tone things down? Open question here....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lustate said:

Having followed this thread through, I found it all very interesting.

Prices have gone up, and some of the "once in a lifetime" type voyages have become very high, but generally, for what they are charging on other voyages, all still in a sound "happy point" for me. 

As we have noted before, the people in VV have changed from the 2021/2022 sailings to a different type of sailor. What was (generally) pretty full, happy people up for fun, trying new things and experiences, to now a crowd who often sit stoney-faced in shows, saying it is "not for us" and wanting more drinks for less money. Some people have also been pretty political on their views when, in a show, there may be an LGBT+ kiss or hug. 

Not all lines are meant for all people. If people do not like the pricing, booking the restaurants or not having free booze on demand, just change lines and move on. Life is hard, and so is paying for the good stuff. 

No issue with the entertainment. Open minded. To each their own.

Don't expect to pay nearly 7k for regular sea terrace. Was expressing my opinion. Not a big deal. Will try msc yacht club.. if virgin lowers prices will try again. 

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

It will be interesting to see whether VV changes its personality to suit some of the different types of people who sail with them. I hope not, because I like variety, but in a for-profit industry like cruising, there's also what I like to call the California phenomenon: people from California move to other states to get away from Cali and then proceed to transform their new state into their old one. What if VV gets tons of complaints from the easily-offended and then decides to tone things down? Open question here....

It's was all pg13 rated. No issue with anything I've seen or board. To each their own. 

6 hours ago, Lustate said:

Once to us at Test Kitchen we saw a couple get seated along the bar type seats to our side. We heard a bit of chatting (as they were hardly quiet), and they asked to be moved from us as "that couple are putting us off eating here". which is a lovely little bit of homophobia. Lucky for us the waiter moved them to the other side so they did not have to risk "catching the gay". lol

A cheap trip, with little research, can mean people just "chance it" and find they are not the type of people the rest of the virgin sailors would expect to be on board. 

You shouldn't have to deal with the ignorance. 

6 hours ago, Lustate said:

6 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

Really? Why on earth would anyone with that political persuasion or a tedious bible basher (usually both) opt for a Virgin cruise? There are plenty of much more conservative lines out there.

Yeah Holland America lol.