Barcelona or Naples for embarkation?

SnowshoeCat

I'm looking at a Med cruise for January.  MSC sells the round trip cruise from multiple cities as the ship makes it way around the route. Barcelona and Naples would be the best options for me considering the dates and flight schedules. Which of these seem a better option with regards to convenience and efficiency? It seems Barcelona is more of an embark/disembark port, so might be better set up? Naples has more flights, plus Rome is an option. I've been to both of these cities and don't need any extra sightseeing time, besides flying in a day early.

Also, never having sailed the Med in January - or with MSC - what's the demographic like?  Families? Retirees? A mix of nationalities? Thanks for any insight.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

hi, take Barcelona to embark/disembark. The Airport is only a ride of approx 30 Minutes right to the ship, everything is priperly organized there. 

Cruisin' the med in january is nice, it's not overcrowded, folks are mixed nationalitys and ages, less children, ships almost not full, neither the excursion targets. And the cruisefares are low.... weather is mostly ok and not as cold as one could think.

• Like 1

Since MSC doesn’t embark everyone at the same port, embarkation is not such a cluster as if they did.  I think more people ‘embark in Barcelona, so it would be busier.  Cabin availability will vary, as a certain number of cabins are allotted for each port you you might take into consideration what is available in making your choice.  EM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Since MSC doesn’t embark everyone at the same port, embarkation is not such a cluster as if they did.  I think more people ‘embark in Barcelona, so it would be busier.  Cabin availability will vary, as a certain number of cabins are allotted for each port you you might take into consideration what is available in making your choice.  EM

Capacity in Barcelona is much higher than in Naples or even civittavecchia. Also the Italian facilitys aren't as good organized as the spanish ones. Italy is nice, but allways a little more chaotic.

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

1 minute ago, Mezqal said:

Capacity in Barcelona is much higher than in Naples or even civittavecchia. Also the Italian facilitys aren't as good organized as the spanish ones. Italy is nice, but allways a little more chaotic.

These were exactly my thoughts. Barcelona may be busier, but maybe more organized. Cabin availability is similar, prices slightly different, but so is the airfare. And even though the order of stops is obviously the same, the Naples itinerary puts the one sea day in the middle which is a nice break. The Barcelona itinerary has my most anticipated ports at the end, so something to look forward to. Yes, I overthink things.

Definitely Naples. The airport bus brings you basically on the ship for 5 euro. And the port is in the middle of the town. Even you don't need any extra sightseeing time (i don´t believe you), if you fly the night before, a pizza and a bottle of wine in Naples is always excellent. Barcelona you will just separate you from your money (much more money than in Naples) and give not much in exchange. And Naples you can choose a hotel in walking distance to the ship. And boarding is much more relaxed than Barcelona and Genoa. 

Just if you get a very cheap early morning flight on the day of the cruise to Barcelona, than it can be considered. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnowshoeCat said:

I'm looking at a Med cruise for January.  MSC sells the round trip cruise from multiple cities as the ship makes it way around the route. Barcelona and Naples would be the best options for me considering the dates and flight schedules. Which of these seem a better option with regards to convenience and efficiency? It seems Barcelona is more of an embark/disembark port, so might be better set up? Naples has more flights, plus Rome is an option. I've been to both of these cities and don't need any extra sightseeing time, besides flying in a day early.

Also, never having sailed the Med in January - or with MSC - what's the demographic like?  Families? Retirees? A mix of nationalities? Thanks for any insight.

Naples airport bus is 5€ to cruise terminal, with just one other stop at railway station, should take less than 30 mins.  There's a smart hotel right in the cruise terminal if coming in night before.

For Rome airport you can do direct transfer with MSC or travel independently using trains, taxis, public transport and shuttle buses.  Much simpler to do the former.

MSC Med cruise will have a dozen different European nationalities onboard, mid January is low season, cooler and school time, so less children and more retirees is likely.

2 hours ago, mvh said:

Barcelona is much better to visit if you are going a day early (highly recommended). IMO Naples is the arm pit of Italy and my least favorite city in Europe. Although, the pizza is actually amazing.

Naples was the port where I was planning to stay on board to enjoy the ship, with one small excursion to get pizza.

Thanks for everyone's input. The poll seems to be tied 🙂

Flying in from North America, I'll definitely come in a day early.

Anything else I should know about MSC? I know it's "different", but how different? I just want to sail around, do some sightseeing, relax and eat.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

14 minutes ago, SnowshoeCat said:

Naples was the port where I was planning to stay on board to enjoy the ship, with one small excursion to get pizza.

Thanks for everyone's input. The poll seems to be tied 🙂

Flying in from North America, I'll definitely come in a day early.

Anything else I should know about MSC? I know it's "different", but how different? I just want to sail around, do some sightseeing, relax and eat.

I loved both Naples and Barcelona, but Naples has the best food plus you can ferry to Capri or you are about a hour from Pompeii which is amazing. My pick is Naples.

4 hours ago, Mezqal said:

We boarded our first MSC cruise in Naples and I would agree it did seem a bit chaotic, but once they got things opened up and staffed the embarkation was fine. Just don't show up early!

3 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Definitely Naples. The airport bus brings you basically on the ship for 5 euro. And the port is in the middle of the town. Even you don't need any extra sightseeing time (i don´t believe you), if you fly the night before, a pizza and a bottle of wine in Naples is always excellent. Barcelona you will just separate you from your money (much more money than in Naples) and give not much in exchange. And Naples you can choose a hotel in walking distance to the ship. And boarding is much more relaxed than Barcelona and Genoa. 

Just if you get a very cheap early morning flight on the day of the cruise to Barcelona, than it can be considered. 

We got into Naples the day before and stayed at a hostel that was across the street from the port. It was an easy (I had help with my bags-kids) walk to the port. We were surprised on our ride from the airport to the hostel with the amount of graffiti. I had watched an Anthony Bourdain episode where he described Naples as "gritty" and he wasn't wrong. I kind of liked it though and knew that going in. Pizza was wonderful and we had a fun experience at a restaurant the night before because I ordered swordfish, but the waiter took my outside to their fresh catch fish, basically picked one for me and sent it back to the chef. I had no idea how it would be prepared, but it was really good!

We were in a family group of six on the ship and it wasn't too long after the restart, so I didn't intermingle a lot, but I'd say most of the passengers were European. Our kids enjoyed that a lot when they went to the club in the evenings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

I loved both Naples and Barcelona, but Naples has the best food plus you can ferry to Capri or you are about a hour from Pompeii which is amazing. My pick is Naples.

If you think the food is better in Naples than Barcelona you are mistaken .

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, steve thfc said:

If you think the food is better in Naples than Barcelona you are mistaken .

We will have to disagree, nothing wrong with food in Barcelona but I will take Naples food any day over that. 

I loved first episode of Stanley Tucci - searching for Italy where he explores Naples cuisine including the restaurant we went to,

Edited by George C

9 hours ago, SnowshoeCat said:

The main difference to me is that all ship announcements are made in at least 6-7 languages. I personally love it but admit it can get annoying at times when they have to repeat things in all the different languages. I've heard people here on CC say that the service on MSC in Europe isn't as friendly. That might have been true at one time but my experience has been the opposite. Just don't be the "ugly American".

• Like 3

6 hours ago, George C said:

We will have to disagree, nothing wrong with food in Barcelona but I will take Naples food any day over that. 

Oh yes! Maybe it is true for fine dining, but when it comes to "simple" local food and street food, certainly Naples (and probably all other Italian cities😄) stand way over Barcelona. 

9 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

The main difference to me is that all ship announcements are made in at least 6-7 languages. I personally love it but admit it can get annoying at times when they have to repeat things in all the different languages. I've heard people here on CC say that the service on MSC in Europe isn't as friendly. That might have been true at one time but my experience has been the opposite. Just don't be the "ugly American".

That's fine with me. I sometimes don't like the overly friendly service. I'm polite, I'll chat, and I don't think I'm demanding (I sometimes want to tell the room stewards to not bother cleaning - just make up my bed nice and neat).

7 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Oh yes! Maybe it is true for fine dining, but when it comes to "simple" local food and street food, certainly Naples (and probably all other Italian cities😄) stand way over Barcelona. 

I didn't mean to start a food war! You described it well. I don't usually "dine out" when I'm wandering around. Good simple food is what I like. Pizza, gelato, coffee - I'm set for the afternoon. I often just go into a grocery store and buy some provisions.

I'm leaning towards Naples. The flights are slightly better and I can take the train to Rome and fly out the next day with better connections.

On 10/2/2024 at 8:40 AM, SnowshoeCat said:

Haven’t read through all replies - our choice would be Barcelona as it was so easy to catch a taxi to hotel on route to port (we did not tour Barcelona as almost everyone does, a night in a hotel was good for us to deal with time change) and then another to port in the morning. Have never experienced Naples. Would not choose Rome, did it last year, we did not fly in a day early and thankfully that worked out, but overall seemed more complicated for us, airport to cruise port a distance.

50 minutes ago, SnowshoeCat said:

I'm leaning towards Naples. The flights are slightly better and I can take the train to Rome and fly out the next day with better connections.

We have done exactly this before. End the cruise in Naples, take the train to Rome, fly to Malaysia 🙂 The trains are so fast and so cheap (if booked in advance), I could not believe. 

• Like 1