Booking your next cruise onboard

Hi-I apologize if this subject already has a topic thread. The Cruise Critic search engine does not seem to work (at least when I have tried). We are on the Ruby Princess Coastal 10/26 sailing. I have a couple of cruises I am looking into. What are the pros and cons of booking my next cruise while on my current one? Travel agents have perks (and Costco has the Costco Shop Card gift)! Any thoughts are appreciated.

Really no perks other then maybe getting a cabin you want.

You can always transfer to a travel agent later.

You can also buy future cruise deposits which entitles you to some extra on board credit. Credit depends on cabin type.

Edited by waltd

They have fill the ship drop and go sailings you can get a huge discount on, usually 60 days or less to sail. Much less than website or any TA can give you.

For the last year and half, we've been enjoying the $30 a day Plus "glitch" when booking onboard, but that is now gone. 

Coincidentally, I was on the Ruby last week for the little 3 day jaunt from Vancouver to SF and got a smoking deal on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise coming up in January.  It doesn’t hurt to inquire with the future cruise folks to see what deals can be had, if your open to something in the fairly near term. 

• Like 2

Usually no special deals for future cruises. I purchase future cruise deposits (FCDs). They are $100 each and fully refundable. They can be used anytime up to one year from purchase and are the full deposit for the booked cruise (world cruises excepted). When used OBC is added to your booking. Amounts depend on the length of the cruise and the category of cabin. FCDs are individual. If you are a couple you have to purchase one or more in each name. 

If you do book on board you can:

a) receive the same benefits as an FCD

b) Can have your booking transferred to a T.A.

c) They do sometimes have good pricing on specific voyages. It does not hurt to ask.

I do prefer to just purchase the FCDs and then wait until I am home to search out the trips when I am not on a cruise high. 

Edited by skynight