Satellite Service Onboard in South America?

Saga Ruby

Throughout your cruises around Cape Horn, did you consistently have satellite service for phones, internet service, television and radio service?

I recently cruised to polar North and, after we crossed the Arctic Circle, our television channels went out and internet service was a random event. We all wound up rushing to the Library onboard and checking out DVD movies for in-room entertainment. This condition persisted until we were almost back south to the Arctic Circle.

Also - is there radio service in the cabins? Is it thru the TV? So if the TV channels are out, there would be no radio? I'll pack a CD player depending on your answers. Thanks.

Ruby

We almost always had satelite TV, with some freezes and the like, the internet was very very spotty on our sailing in the extreme southern extremes. Several times I logged on and couldn't get a single page to load.

jc

We went down to Antarctica in January and we did lose CNN and TV coverage for a few days. We thought that we would lose the internet but we were able to post every day which was great. Once we came back to civilization - Ushuaia - we once again had all coverage.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

Sailed from Buenos Aires around the cape up through the panama canal to FLL. Yes our cruise had many days with no Internet connection while out at sea. But there were people that found internet cafés. My friend had her Satellite phone with her and could not get it to work. Some of the crew said they never could get their sat. phones to work at sea. We lost some TV reception also. But this cruise was great and as far as I was concerned I couldn't care less there was less TV or computer use.

Archived