Oosterdam SS Rooms-Bed next to wall?

stargazers

Hello all. I'm looking forward to our trip on the Oosterdam and have a quick question. The diagram makes it look like the bed is pushed up against the wall when made up in the queen size configuration. Is this true? Can it be changed at all? I always hate having to climb over hubby to get into my side (I tend to sit up and read later than he does....:) ).

Thanks for your help.

Kristy :)

Stargazers,

If you're in a regular SS room (other than aft, on the wake), your headboard will be against the wall. There are night tables on either side and enough room to get out of bed on your side. There are separate reading lights for each person on the headboard. You can control all your room lights from there. The SS cabins are a good size approx 350 sq ft so everything in the room will be very accessible.

You could probably curl up on the sofa with a pillow and blanket if you don't want to disturb him.

GN

Here are two photos of what an SS looks like with the beds made up into a Queen sized bed:

sscabin6.jpg

sscabin4.jpg

While you might not be able to really see it, the bed does NOT cram up against the wall. There is a 1.5 foot space between the side of the bed and the wall. It's wide enough to get out of bed and walk out to the foot of the bed. it's NOT side enough for two people, though, so don't try dancing there ... you will find plenty of room to dance in front of the closets:

sscabin5.jpg

and on the Balcony ....

sscabin1.jpg

Standing at the foot of the bed the left side or wall side is "my side" of the bed. I am a size 14 and have no problem getting in, out, lounging, etc. on my side of the bed.

You will love this stateroom. Have a wonderful time.

Holly

Thank you everyone! I feel much better now! I've been looking forward to this room and when I was going over all my information I got a little panicked when I looked at the diagram, and couldn't tell much from the pictures I had. I teach kindergarten and am going over Spring Break...and I really need this break!

RevNeal, Thanks for your pictures. Your earlier reviews of the Oosterdam have really helped to fuel my excitement for this trip (Like I need any help to get excited about cruising!). This is our first time on HAL and from everything I have heard, this will be fabulous. It will be nice to sail from our home port of San Diego. They sail from here during the school year so this is the only time we can go. Pesky job, it just keeps getting in the way!

Thanks again everyone. CCers are the best!

Kristy :)

My husband and I are taking my 90-year-old dad to see Alaska for the first time :) , and we need to book all three of us in one room for financial reasons. (We want a verandah, and two of them are too expensive. There are not a lot of options left for two close rooms, either, since we are [unavoidably] booking so late. :eek: )

I have a hold on an SY Superior Verandah suite on the Oosterdam 5/20 sailing. Do you think there is enough room for all three of us and our stuff? I looked at a Veranda Outside, because the special price was really a bargain, but it just looked too small for all of us.

Also, is the sofa bed comfortable enough for an elderly man? Or will I need to take the sofa bed and use the twins so Papa can have a better bed? :confused:

He has always wanted to see Alaska! I am excited to be able to take him.

Moogy

How great that you're taking your dad to Alaska. You'll all have a wonderful time.

I'm sure you'll do fine in your SS cabin. The bed should do your dad nicely. If you find out it's not, then your cabin steward can help you come up with a solution. (Either another bed, or split your bed into two so your dad can have one of those.)

I agree that a regular verandah cabin just wouldn't work for the three of you. The SS bathroom is much bigger, has two sinks and a separate shower stall. You'll love it!

We were in a SB on Oosterdam. That couch converts to a twin bed rather than the queen size in the SA cabins. My daughter, who's hated the foldaways on the other cruise lines we've been on, loved "her bed" and was so comfortable she was complaining she'd miss it tonight! And I never heard anyone all week complaining about the sofa bed so I think you're in good shape, even if you decide to sleep on it yourself. :)

It's the same setup in standard outside cabins.

The beds are made in a queen size, and still plenty of room left with the nightstands on either side. But the 'headboard' will be the portholes or window.

That's one of the best things about HAL ships ... no matter what cabin type you get, they all seem bigger than the rest that's out there.

That's one of the best things about HAL ships ... no matter what cabin type you get, they all seem bigger than the rest that's out there.

In my personal opinion, the very best thing is that, no matter what type of cabin you get, YOU'RE ABOARD SHIP!!!!!!!!! :D

Archived