Steaks -- Cooked to Order?

frchteaze

For those of us who love our steaks well-done, does anyone know if Celebrity is good about getting them cooked to order? (Those of us who love well-done steaks know it is often difficult to find chefs who will actually cook it right the first time.)

I only ask because it seems like the higher quality the restaurant, the harder it is to get a well-done steak. And with everyone's reviews of X food being "higher quality" than some other lines, I'm concerned I might run into chef ego on my upcoming cruise.:eek:

And let's please not spin off into a debate on the proper doneness of a steak. I actually like my meat a little dry and chewy. :cool:

Of course they will do their best: one thing to remember, the thicker the steak and the better the cut the harder it is to get them well done and still leave flavor. A good thick steak is cooked on a very hot grill so the outside will be crisp and inside moist. The longer it cooks the more the moisture disappears. The cheaper cuts of meat that we cook slowly gain flavor with cooking; they also become more tender as opposed to top cuts get tougher as they cook. Good luck, NMNita

As I recall, my wife had no problem getting them grey right through first time out... I'll take mine medium/medium rare, but I've come to realize that I good steak is a good steak however cooked.

I've got to chuckle though recalling the "oh so knowledgeable" waiter at a fine restaurant that really wouldn't allow her to order Kobe beef well done. After all the hoy polloy, she finally said "What if I don't want it that way? If its as good as you say, I'm sure it will be just fine COOKED through thank you."

Thanks for the info.

I'll be with a large group and many of us like our steaks well-done or close to it. I always avoid the filet mignon and thick cuts and even offer to let them butterfly it when they cook it, but first-hand experience helps ease the steaklovers' minds. ;)

Thanks for the info.

I'll be with a large group and many of us like our steaks well-done or close to it. I always avoid the filet mignon and thick cuts and even offer to let them butterfly it when they cook it, but first-hand experience helps ease the steaklovers' minds. ;)

Butterfly the meat: that's the best way to keep it moist and tastey and still well done. NMNita

That's kind of a funny question. Most folks complain that they can't get rare or medium rare due to knee-jerk reactions to health concerns which arise from time to time and usually only last a week or so. If you want it well done, you can get it well done (especially if you send it back if it isn't). In any event, I haven't been on a Celebrity or Princess ship yet where I couldn't get a steak cooked to my approval.

Problems with rare and medium are with hamburgers - the meat has been ground, mixed and touched by human hands. Steaks are still intact, there is no chance of bacteria in the interior. "Fine dining" establishments are notorious for not wishing to ruin a steak by overcooking - my mother remembers drawing the ire of the chef at the Officer's Club at the Presidio in the 1950's by daring to ask for her steak well-done. Steaks at my house were always well-done, and that's how I always ordered them until I got tired of sending them back and learned to like medium. :rolleyes:

Problems with rare and medium are with hamburgers - the meat has been ground, mixed and touched by human hands. Steaks are still intact, there is no chance of bacteria in the interior. "Fine dining" establishments are notorious for not wishing to ruin a steak by overcooking - my mother remembers drawing the ire of the chef at the Officer's Club at the Presidio in the 1950's by daring to ask for her steak well-done. Steaks at my house were always well-done, and that's how I always ordered them until I got tired of sending them back and learned to like medium. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I was about to point the same thing out. I don't know how many people reaslize it is only ground beef we need to worry about.

You should have no problem, it's the rare and medium rare that are difficult to get sometimes.

Not in my experience - I'm a "well done" person myself and I've had far more incidents of having to send my steak back because it's undercooked than of it coming cooked properly the first time. I find this to be the case ever more in "better" restaurants which annoys me to no end.

It's good to hear that this shouldn't be a problem on Celebrity!

I personally prefer my steaks "charred rare", and usually am able to get them cooked the way I like on 1st go around.

Bro-in-law, who likes his meat very well done, also has had good luck getting it the way he wants.

If it is not done to your satisfaction - send it back!

Archived