Disappointed with Sovereign of Seas

Just back from our 3 day cruise and I have to say I am truly disappointed with the ship. I had lowered my expectations prior to leaving based on the fact that it was indeed a ship from 1988, but expected it to be better than it was since it had gone through major refurbishment just two years ago. Apparently RCI knows this too since one of their "TV" channels plays a continuous video of the refurbishment the entire cruise. It looks like it is in need of a major fix up, not having just had one. The walls of our superior ocean view cabin had large deep scratch marks that had been painted over in a different color of white. Looked like a large animal had been caged in there LOL! All parts of the ship needed help. Lots of toilet problems, odd smells, noises, etc.

On a happier note...I couldn't say enough wonderful things about the crew. They were fabulous as always!!!! They always make it a wonderful day!

Sadly even the cruise director felt the need on the last night to remind people that this was the oldest ship in the fleet and it had seen better days having been once the largest ship in RCI's fleet. I will go back to the newer bigger ships I have always loved. The ports were great as well.

wow sounds different from my cruise on her .We went MARCH 24-27 was very awesome.Been on her 8 times and always great.We brought our brother and sister in law as an anniversary gift and they had no complaints either.Sorry you did not like the ship.

I have the same opionion as jphc318, we loved the Sovereign both times and it was pre-refurbish ('97 and '98). We had a big group in 98 and there were no complaints at all.

BUT, I understand how all people are different. I remember back in 02 when I got off the NCL Norway, I had posted at CC that I had the worst time onboard. So many things went wrong. Didn't like the ship, a man was beating his wife in the cabin next to us and we literally thought he was trying to kill her on 1 or 2 nights, the kids club for the 2-3 year olds was in a room the size of my closet, the adult bars had MANY underage drinkers that weren't a day over 15.

Anyway, after posting that I got slammed by the throngs of people who absolutly loved the Norway and would give their last dying breath saying how wonderful the ship was. So lesson learned. Everyone has a different cruise experience, each should be respected.

Sorry you didn't have the same experience we had on Sovereign.

I wouldn’t have a problem with the visual wear and tear, but smells are another issue. Does this ship only do short itineraries now?

Im not sure, but I think it just does the 3-4 day trips.

I don't think we found any real bad smells; there was an occasional smell; but we were also on a lower deck with a cheaper room.

If it's going to CoCoCay, I can go gamble if I catch a smell.

Sorry that the SOS did not meet your standards. Does not sound like the ship that I cruised on twice last year. I will be checking her out again in June. She is one of my favorites.

One thing that everyone needs to keep in mind. The ships that do the three and four night cruises have to do a turn around twice a week and the ships take a beating. That is why the cruise lines use their older tonnage for the short trips.

I am almost afraid of the same happening to us on the Grandeur. My first cruise ever was on the Serenade and I had no complaints. This ship is much older, getting refurb next year, and just don't know what to think or expect. I like the ports so...I will go into it open minded.

We just booked another for next year on Carnival (to give it a try) but we are excited as it is a newer ship and we got the exact room we wanted but still don't know what to expect.

Hopefully your next cruise will be what you are looking for. Better luck next time.:rolleyes:

I was so glad to hear some positive feedback on the Sovereign as I am about to go on my first cruise on her in May. I keep reading alot of negative post and I start getting leary, because I talked my husband, son and his wife into this. And we are all so excited.:D

We've sailed the Sovereign (and her sister ship, Majesty) many times, and have never had a problem. Even though they don't have all the bells and whistles of the new mega ships, there's something about these two that is special....a quiet elegance. The crew on both ships have been together for a long time, and they are extraordinary. Have a wonderful, relaxing time!!

Michele

Sovereign was the very first RCCL ship I sailed on (Carnival 3 times prior) in 1989 and I was floored at how beautiful she was. Last March we sailed on it again and it is still breath taking to me. We love the quick get a way cruise and use either Sovereign or Majesty. Sorry you didn't experience the same.

Archived