Scandinavia on your Own

We will be on a Princess cruise which indludes Amsterdam, Oslo, Copenhagen and Helsinborg. Has anyone had any experience or suggestions regarding non princess excursions in any of these locations?

Thanks!!!:)

We haven't been to Helsinborg, but Amsterdam, Oslo, and Copenhagen are very easy to do on your own.

Get some guide books, surf the net, and you'll find lots of information.

Though I'm not generally a big fan of Rick Steves, I think he does a good job of what to do if you're in a town for only one day from a cruise.

He probably has a good book on Scandinavia.

Though I'm not generally a big fan of Rick Steves, I think he does a good job of what to do if you're in a town for only one day from a cruise.

He probably has a good book on Scandinavia.

We were on a Baltic cruise last summer on Jewel of the Seas, and Rick Steves' Scandinavia book covered all our ports, except St. Petersburg.

Visit the Baltic Ports board for lots of helpful info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

We did what sounds like the same itinerary on Sea Princess in July 2005. Helsingborg was a tender port and, unfortunately, a "short port" - we sailed in the early afternoon. As a result we didn't have enough time to see and do everything we would have liked to include.

People are very friendly and helpful. The old town is interesting to walk around (and has a great chocolate shop) and the seafront is scenic. Their Fredrikstal Open Air Museum sounds interesting and, with more time, we would have walked up to see it and would also like to have done a walk on the paths they have along the shore of the Oresund.

We would like to go back and have more time to spend there.

FWIW, we didn't get any SEK because our itinerary was limited to just this one morning in Sweden, but our Danish currency was accepted in a nice little sidewalk cafe with no problem - clerk told us they were used to taking it because so many Danes come over on the ferry.

The cruiseterminal in Amsterdam is very close to city-center. Walk or take the tram and see a.o. Ann Franks house (be there early to skip long lines!)

Rijksmuseum, Van Goghmuseum, absolutely make a canalboattour of about 1 hr. --best way to see the town.

check also this link:http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

Archived