A Not To Miss Halifax Event

If any of you happen to be docked in Halifx from July 1-8, you have a chance to see what is considered to be one of the most spectacular shows in the world, The Halifax International Tattoo. Musical and performing groups from around the world take part in this show that has, literally, a cast of thousands. There are weekend matinees and evening performances at the Metro Centre, which is walking distance from the piers. . On July 1, Canada Day, Halifax has one of the most unusal parades you will see, consisting of the cast of the tattoo. When I was there there were, In addition to military bands from throughout Canada, the King's Guard of Norway, A showband from the Netherlands, The German Airforce Band, the Berlin Police motorcyle stunt team, the biggest massed pipe band I've ever seen and more. Also, during the week, participants in the show give free performances throught the city, many of them outdoors near the piers. Thiose are listed in a free newpaper you can pick up anywhere. For more information and a preview video log on to www.nstattoo.ca. It may not be everybody's taste, but you may want to take part if you're there that week.

I agree. I'm originally from Halifax and have since moved away (don't ask why). I still visit Halifax as often as possible and take in the Tattoo whenever possible. I've yet to find anyone who did not enjoy it. Anyone who is interested should buy tickets well in advance as the shows usually sell out quickly.

• 1 month later...
If any of you happen to be docked in Halifx from July 1-8, ..., during the week, participants in the show give free performances throught the city, many of them outdoors near the piers. Thiose are listed in a free newpaper you can pick up anywhere. ...

We will be there on the 4th, but the ship leaves at 6PM, which is before the performance that evening. Can you tell me if there is anywhere I can get specific information about the daytime performances - in advance? Will there be any special performances on the 4th, considering it's the USA Independence Day? Most importantly is that I would need to know if there would be anything scheduled during the day.

We were going to do a tour of Halifax and Peggy's Cove, but if we can find out about a Tattoo performance, we might scrap that idea and work our sightseeing around the Tattoo show. We get to Halifax at 9 AM. Our ship leaves at 6PM, so we'd have to be back onboard by 5PM. I really would like to be able to find info about any shows that day before we leave. If we chance it, there may not be a Tattoo performance we could see and we'd also miss out on the tour we wanted too. That would be a real let-down.

I hope you have more information. I looked on the site, but only saw the official schedule of performances during the evening for the ticketed shows. It would be great if there were a show near the pier we could watch during our day there!

Bands and other groups from the Tattoo put on free performances all week, usually around midday. Most of the locations are near the docks, and one stage is actually on the pier. In addition to military bands from around Canada, Here is a list of some other participants:

Band Of The Royal Air Force Of Oman with pipes and dancers

East Sea Band of the German Navy

Parc & Dare Band (Wales)

Aberdeen University OTC Pipes and Drums

Morlais Male Choir

Queen's Colour Squadron of the RAF

Club Piruett (Estonia) and the Orchestra of the Estonian Defense Forces

Several gym teams from Germany and Switzerland

Etc.

Most of these groups will perform at one time or other during the week. The schedule is published in a special free newspaper during tattoo week which is available all over town and, most likely, at the tourist information center at the pier. You might get to see two or three of these groups while in town.

hvsteve1, thank you for the information. I was also dismayed when I learned the Tattoo peformance would begin after we've departed. We now plan to spend a good part of the day near the pier (visiting Pier 21 Immigration Museum and Maritime Museum), so it will be a great treat if we happen across a concert.

cruzzza, we will be on your cruise. There's a thread on the Roll Call board, so please feel free to join. :)

I mean no offense but Halifax is in Canada. Our holiday is July 1st. Canada Day.

I know Halifax is in Canada. No offense taken, but I wouldn't be surprised if a visiting Canadian band put on a special performance in the USA on a Canadian holiday, so I thought it might be just as possible that a USA band visiting Canada might do something special on our holiday. Seems logical to me.

hsteve1: thanks for that bit of info

The problem is, the Pentagon has been making lame excuses in recent years for not sending a band to the tattoo. A tattoo committe member told me the reason was they could not spare anyone over the July Fourth weekend. This did not stop them, in past years, from sending groups such as the Quantico Marine Band, but there has not been a US band there in the past five or six years. In 2002, the first act finale was a salute to New York after 9/11. There were more than a thousand musicians and singers and music associated with New York from over the centuries. A giant screen showed pictures of the city. At the climax, the screen showed photos of 9/11 as a soloist sang "I'll Walk With God". The number ended with a soprano (from Norway) singing "America The Beautiful" as girls carried a giant,horizontal American Flag onto the floor. There were American and Canadian flags on display all over the arena. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. And not one American group participated because the US government refused to send anyone. At the outset, the narrator paid tribute to Canadians (some from Nova Scotia) who had recently died in Afghanastan. He gracefully did not point out the fact they were killed by US friendly fire. A year later, our politicians were calling the Canadians cowards. That is why you won't see a US band playing in Canada on our holiday. Forgive me if this sounds political but, after sitting through that salute to America twice, I'm angry about how crass we must appear.

Archived