Possible Pilots Strike On Delta - Anyone Else Concerned?

cal101

I'm concerned, too. We're using Princess Air to get us from Detroit to Tahiti on 4/29. They put us on Delta from Detroit to LAX, and from LAX to Detroit on the way back. I'm really only worried about getting THERE!! Luckily, on the TP trip, you arrive and board one day, but the ship doesn't depart until the next day at 5 p.m. They must do that to allow for flight delays.

I know they're responsible for getting us there, but we're already routed through Cincinnati on the way there, Atlanta on the way back. Where will they have to route us if a strike occurs close to departure? As it is, we leave at 10 a.m. 4/29, get into LAX, have 2 hours connect time, then leave for Tahiti and arrive late at night the 29th. Doesn't leave much room for changes...

It was reported earlier today that nationwide Delta pilots have been ordered by their union to clean out their lockers in preparation of a strike. Not great news for those of us booked to fly on Delta in the near future.

The gov't always steps in to avoid mass chaos in the skies - if it were me I wouldn't lose sleep over this worry. I'm sure you all will make your sailings just fine w/o xtra cost or delay. As for me' date=' I'm flying Northwest to China in a slight 39 days and we all have read about NWA problems. oh well, it's an adventure. I travel for adventure - flying certainly is that these days.;)[/quote']

Yes, sometimes the govt will step in and prevent the strike or at least postpone it but that does not stop the pilots from an illegal sick-out. This happened to us on American back in 1999 and fortunately it was resolved a week or so before our flight but the pilots wreaked havoc by calling in sick. There were 1000s of flights cancelled over many days.

We were booked to fly to San Francisco for our Dawn cruise which leaves 4/19. I just paid $454 to change our tickets to leave Atlanta from the 18th (possible strike date) to the 17th. What a pain. We've been loyal Delta customers in the past, but will have to think hard about ever booking with them again. At least until they show some signs of stability.

KD Cruiser....

Sorry to hear you felt forced to rebook at such a great expense. It almost makes the cruise less fun, but hopefully you'll have a wonderful time.

I live in Atlanta and know some of the Delta pilots, they are a cocky bunch that have been used to making the most money of any commercial pilots in the US, but economics of the industry seem to be against them now. I just don't think a strike is in their best interest now, maybe they should take the pay cut in exchange for an equity stake in the airline...then if Delta does come back, they would make out.

Here is another issue for anyone using freq flyer miles... We had Delta FF tickets from London back to Florida for next month and the fact is that since they are effectively free tickets, they have no value on another airline. Only if Delta agreed to pay for the new tickets would they do us any good and in a bankrupcy sit that may not be possible...

We went back and got Delta to get us FF tickets on a partner just in case. Those tickets will still be good once issued....

While everyone is saying how unlikely a strike is, the pilots unions have demonstrated on many occations in the last 10-15 years an almost suicidal disregard for reality. In this case, reality is the days of 200k plus salaries are done and most will have to live with the same 100-125k cap that most upper middle managers in the US live with. Between stupid short sighted airline management and these unions going for quick cash over a solid buisness model, I am amazing that one of the big guys has not already folded. Because I live in Orlando, I would pref it not be Delta, but one of them is going to have a remake of the Eastern Airlines fiasco before they wake up and get it together.

For myself, I would not risk them right now... Looks like the pilots are letting the union do their thinking for them and the guys calling the shots are not the ones that will not be on the street if Delta folds...

We are flying on the 29th.......and we booked another airline....not Delta.

Not a good idea to book an airline in bankruptsy.......with a stock price under a buck.....with a possible pilot strike......;)

What an enlightening article. Thanks custompcsys. My wife and I are booked on a May 6 cruise from LA to Vancouver. We live in Atlanta and I booked our flights several months back on Delta mainly because they are the only airline that has a nonstop flight from Vancouver to Atlanta. We paid with a credit card, so at this point I am not planning on rebooking on another airline, taking a wait and see attitude.

We may get lucky if the strike happens in mid to late April because it would hopefully be settled by early May, but I just can't fathom that Delta management or the arbitrators will be foolish enough to allow the pilots to strike. It would surely mean the end of the airline and for me personally would be very painful since I have lived in Atlanta for 50 years and Delta has been an outstanding company and a great airline and I know several people that work there that just love their jobs.

KD Cruiser....

Sorry to hear you felt forced to rebook at such a great expense. It almost makes the cruise less fun, but hopefully you'll have a wonderful time.

I live in Atlanta and know some of the Delta pilots, they are a cocky bunch that have been used to making the most money of any commercial pilots in the US, but economics of the industry seem to be against them now. I just don't think a strike is in their best interest now, maybe they should take the pay cut in exchange for an equity stake in the airline...then if Delta does come back, they would make out.

Blame this one on the judge in the United bankruptcy case. I think that the Delta pilots have looked long and hard at what happened to the United Pilots and they are trying to get to a position that protects more pension and retiree health care and that doesn't allow Delta management to walk away with the kind of money that the bankruptcy court judge just allowed United management to take after demolishing the retiree health care and benefits. United employees who got stock in the previous give back saw that stock become worthless in the bankruptcy, so that doesn't look like such a good option. I doubt that any of them think that it is possible to have business as usual, but a strike threat is the only leverage they have to get management agreement on some of these other issues where the airline does have some flexibility.

I just spoke to a FF representative at Delta, trying to get the 2 legs out of 6 on my itinerary that are on Delta changed to a partner airline. Unfortunately, there was nothing available, but I took a moment to speak to her about their situation.

She, and according to what she said her co-workers also, are quite nervous, because they understand that anything but a very short strike would likely put Delta under and force their liquidation. That would of course put everyone out of a job, not just the pilots. Her statement was that she can't believe the pilots would do that to all of them, including themselves, because the other airlines couldn't absorb all of the pilots who would then be unemployed as well.

Kind of makes my problem seem small in comparison.

You might see what it would cost to do an air deviation and pick your own flights. It may or may not be worth it. It doesn't cost to ask. If they can't get you what you want then don't pay the deviation. FYI if the cost of the flights are more then you will also have to pay the diff. You could see what kind of flights you can get yourself from Mich-Lax and spend the night in LAX. I recommend spending the night in LAX to rest up before getting back on a long flight. You won't have any energy left. Also you might see if with a deviation if it is possible to take the ATN out of N.Y. and get your own air to N.Y.

Just some ideas.

Just got off the phone with my brother, an employee of the Hollywood/FLL airport.......says the baggage claim area is mobbed with complaints of lost luggage off the Delta flights. The Broward County sherrifs office has police watching over it all. That's what worries me, I'll just take extra in my carry on. Oy!

I'm concerned, too. We're using Princess Air to get us from Detroit to Tahiti on 4/29. They put us on Delta from Detroit to LAX, and from LAX to Detroit on the way back. I'm really only worried about getting THERE!! Luckily, on the TP trip, you arrive and board one day, but the ship doesn't depart until the next day at 5 p.m. They must do that to allow for flight delays.

I know they're responsible for getting us there, but we're already routed through Cincinnati on the way there, Atlanta on the way back. Where will they have to route us if a strike occurs close to departure? As it is, we leave at 10 a.m. 4/29, get into LAX, have 2 hours connect time, then leave for Tahiti and arrive late at night the 29th. Doesn't leave much room for changes...

Delta has two Skyteam Alliance partners that fly from Detroit to LAX - Continental and Northwest. NW has 1 nonstop in the morning, 9:22 arr 11:17am and a nonstop at 12:07 arr 2:02pm. CO has a connecting flight thru Cleveland that leaves earlier and arrives earlier -- 7:15am arriving 10:48am. I wonder if those flights will sell out if the pilots strike. Can you pay the deviation fee now, and change your flights to be safe?

There has been little information in the newspapers the last two days. I hope they are quietly working on a settlement to this big mess. Even though I changed our tickets to leave April 17th, I'm still nervous that "something" could happen to mess up our plans.

[quote name='bhopal21']There has been a tentative agreement reached by Delta and its pilots this morning avoiding a strike. Details are sketchy; but good news for you folks traveling soon.

Happy Cruising!

Mike:)[/quote]
Yay! Its on the wire services as well, AP carried the story. No details, I would assume those will come out later today. Bottom line is for now, those of us on Delta for the next couple of months would appear to be ok - I hope!:)

Archived