Question about excursions

DeLosLibros

My family will be taking their first cruise on the Elation, 6/18/06, and we were wondering if it's better to book excursions through Carnival, or to find an independent excursion once we get there. We wouldn't want anything too over the top, snorkeling would be as adventuresome as we get.

My suggestion...book excursions through the cruise line. Granted, it will probably be more expensive than doing so independently. But this is your first cruise. Better to sacrifice a few dollars for the convenience of all things being provided for you.

If you like the "cruise experience", book independently on future cruises. Once you're more familiar with how cruises [and excursions] work.

On Elation you will be going to HMC and Grand Turk, in addition to San Juan and St. Thomas.

HMC is a provate island and I do not think you have any option but to book through Carnival there. Grand Turk is a new port, if it is like the rest of the Turks and Caicos, except for scuba and snorkeling there is not a lot else to do, so that is probably another good one to book through Carnival.

San Juan and St. Thomas are well developed with a great tourist infrastructure. At those two places you can do an either or especially in St. Thomas since that is scheduled as a 12 hour stop.

We're going on the same cruise!:) It will also be our first cruise, and we are just 2 excited!! We figure with the cruise leaving out on Father's Day, that is his treat, and on my birthday, we will be on the islands of St.Thomas/St.John! (my treat) Then we are gonna carry over the birthday celebration in San Juan, what better place than a rum distillery with a sample here and a sample there to celebrate:D Seriously, hope you guys enjoy your 1st cruise! I know we are all gonna do our level best to enjoy ours. We've decided though, to try booking everything through Carnival with it being our first cruise. We decided not to take any unnecessary chances. I could see us getting left behind because my daughter was wrapped up in the culture:eek: scary thought. Whatever you decide to do have fun:D

My family will be taking their first cruise on the Elation, 6/18/06, and we were wondering if it's better to book excursions through Carnival, or to find an independent excursion once we get there. We wouldn't want anything too over the top, snorkeling would be as adventuresome as we get.

One of the headline articles on CC's home page today is on this very subject. If you go by the articles' recommendations, you're a candidate for the cruise line's excursions and I would agree. BTW, HMC is a private island and (as a previous poster mentioned) I think you can only book excursions on HMC through Carnival.

Archived