Table etiquette question

AZ TRAVEL

When seated in the dining room for dinner is it appropriate to sit in the exact same seat at your assigned table each night or does it matter?

Bill

Doesnt Matter, because on my Pride cruise, we sat with 10 people and I think on day 3 they all switched up on us, I was like ok LOL, These guys were alot older and fun nice people, so I took it as a learning experience.

Fred

That's up to you and your tablemates. Most humans are creatures of habit and go back to the same seat they take the first night. If you want to mix it up a bit, ask your tablemates if they mind if you switch seats from time to time. Hopefully you'll get people who have the same preference as you do...whether that is mix and mingle or stay in the same seats. There is no set "right" way to do it, just be courteous with whatever your tablemates prefer. :)

When seated in the dining room for dinner is it appropriate to sit in the exact same seat at your assigned table each night or does it matter?

Only if you are at a table for 2..! Then it's 'switching sides' only...:rolleyes:

I think the waitstaff expects you to keep same seats because they do their best to remember which seat gets iced tea each night, or coffee during dinner or whatever preferences you make known on your first day. Also, we cruised with a family group and to be funny one night half the family got to the dinning room before the other half and switched seats. It really did confuse the waitstaff which of course was not what they intended to do.

When seated in the dining room for dinner is it appropriate to sit in the exact same seat at your assigned table each night or does it matter? Bill

We make it a point to switch it around, especially when four of us are traveling together and sitting with 4 others at a table for eight. Even when my wife and I are traveling alone, we switch around.

That way you get to chat with all of your tablemates. The waiters will remember who is who. :D

I was just thinking about that and its so weird, come to think of it, everytime we would sit at the same seat, it was not planned it just happened that way.

I guess we really are creatures of habit.

I purposefully try and get the same seat every time but I have a reason for it. I prefer large tables where I can meet people, but I also have a hearing problem so unless I'm seated in the middle of the table, I'm only going to be able to get to know the people right next to me. So I always get there early and stake out my seat.

We have switched and we have stayed in the same ones. I agree with the poster about it depends on your table mates. It really makes no difference to us, so we usually just let everyone else sit and take whats left.

Interesting question!

On our first cruise, we had a table of eight, at the window, and a threesome had taken that half of the table. We never dreamed or thought of sitting in "their" seats.

On some subsequent cruises, we made sure we were there first to "claim" our seats. I remember being a little startled on night two, on one cruise, arriving and our table mates were in "our" seats. Never said a word. Made me wonder if my thinking was right or wrong.

It's been a long time since I've had a window seat.

It is interesting in watching surrounding tables of fours, though. Not sure if my thinking is right, but I would have thought that the "couple" would sit on one side of the table.

I have lately quite often walked past these tables where the couples are face to face.

So, it begs to wonder, what is the proper ettiquette for all these situations?

I personally am not thrilled with the long tables in the dining room or the small "bench" type tables for four and six. Four of us "Valor Vampires" sat at the table for 8 with our spouses and we purposely switched around so the conversation would be more interesting. We have been in the bench type arrangement and I personally would prefer to have my spouse across the table from me because that's how we eat dinner at home. When he sits next to me I can't see his face when I talk to him. Don't know if I'm making any sense at all.

Only one time were we at a round large table for breakfast and actually met very interesting people and were able to converse with the entire table.

If I had a choice I would pick a table for 2 OR a large round table for 8 or 10, and continue to rotate seats around the table.

If I had a choice I would pick a table for 2 OR a large round table for 8 or 10, and continue to rotate seats around the table.

I believe it is called Permutations ...

If a table for 10

10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2=3,628,800 different ways 10 people can sit at the table.

At formal dinners with assigned seating, spouces are not normally seated across from each other to promote conversation with others. If that were the case, you would honor your host's wishes and sit in the assigned seat.

In this case, you do not have a host; you have a service provider, so sit where you are comfortable and however you and the your tablemates sort it out. I don't think there are "rules" about it, but I in my opinion, it would be rude to sit at a large table and not converse with others seated there.

For those who are not comfortable with conversation with strangers, you might request a table for two.

You shouldn't switch seats until after you order each night.

Switching seats between courses is fine too!

Keep 'em on their toes!

We have always gone to the same seats, except on our last cruise - it was with a large group from my wifes work, and one night, some of the upper muckity-mucks switched tables to chat with everyone.

While I don't know if there are any real 'rules'.... When I was F&B Director at hotels (and we had formal dinners for 100-1500 folks), I worked with many event planners. Most seemed to arrange seating as...

Round tops of 8-10, couples were seated next to each other.

Rectangles of 8-12, couples were seated across from each other.

OK, back to cruise ships.:D As a solo cruiser, I try to be seated at a round 8 or 10 top. Diners can see each other without turning much, and better conversation can be held. Folks really should keep their their original seats (in my opinion), to make things easier for the waiters.

If I'm traveling with someone, I'd prefer to sit across from them if seated at a rectangular table.

And I DO like having the same chair every evening.:)

On the Ryndam last summer, travelling with extended family, MIL sat in the same seat evey night, while the rest of us (party of 10) switched seats every night. To, uh, share the honor of sitting next to MIL. Yeah, that's the ticket. Yep, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D

When we sat at a table in the middle of the dining room we stayed in the same seats each night.. But we had window seats on 3 cruises and we switched up. WOuld kinda suck if we always had the view and the table mates not. It worked out well for us each time. I think almost everyone at the table got a window at least once during the week

Serene56: That's very considerate. On one of our Alaskan cruises we had a table by the windows. A family of 3 took both of the window seats, and never offered to switch. (They switched among themselves to give each other chances to enjoy the views, though.) I thought it was not very nice at the time, and here I am years later still feeling a little annoyed! It's nice to at least offer to switch some nights if you're in the most desirable seats.

A lot to think about. First, your are assigned a table not a seat, so you should be able to switch seats IF you wish. Waiters are intelligent, if they are efficient, they will know who you are and your preferences, if they are not effcient, it doesn't matter where you are, they won't remember anyway.

Most rules depend on when you arrive.

On long eight and ten-tops, the first to arrive should start at the back and fill forward. That way no one has to crawl around back of seat to get to the empty chairs. Very rude to not do so.

On round eight and ten-tops fill around the first couple seated-not leaving gaps. Use boy/girl rule (and see if those that follow you-get it). If your a single, you set next to the opposite sex of the couple already seated.

On four-tops the couple should be seated next to each other so you can see both members of other party.

Six-tops are more difficult, if three couple, one will have to set opposite thier spouse. Usually the last arriving couple would do so. They should also fill those last two opposites by boy/girl rule.

And tip the matre'd:)

I enjoy mixing it up... gives you a chance to talk to a few table mates without talking too loudly across the table...

And in our case on one cruise......to give the four of us the relief....... of not having one person always get stuck having to sit next to the obnoxious guy......:) We took turns.

Archived