Princess Photography

JessH

I have heard that on other ships people take pictures of the professional ones so they dont need to pay the high prices for the real ones.

Does anyone know if this is possible on the Caribbean Princess?

Guest caribcruzin

...that you would think about stooping so low to do somthing like that. How crude and cheap you must be:confused: :mad:

First, the photos are posted in a busy public hallway with photo people almost always around, so you could never do this unobserved. Second, the odds of your pirated photos coming out well is very small. Third, it's both illegal and dishonest.

The best thing is to wait until the very end of your cruise and then pick out what you can afford, and pay for them. While they are pricey, they are not unreasonable, certainly no more than similair ones at WalMart, etc. . The large, formal portraits are $19.95, the small 5x7s are $9.95. Plan on one formal as a "treat" for yourself and maybe one small one as a nice souvenier.( I like the embarkation one with the map of your cruise as a backdrop.)

If you truly feel you can't afford them, then take your own. There are tons of venues on the ship where you can take a photo with the same background the pros will use. Just ask someone friendly-looking to take a photo of you and your spouse, family, whatever. Just don't be dishonest and hate yourself in the morning.

And if you can't afford the 8 x 10s, ask the photo department on your Princess ship to reprint it in a 6 x 9 or 5 x 7. They'll make you pay for it upon ordering, but sometimes we get too many 8 x 10s, so we ask that some of the shots be reduced. They are more than happy to oblige. The Island Princess photographers were EXCELLENT and really got know us and work with us on formal nights.

...that you would think about stooping so low to do somthing like that. How crude and cheap you must be:confused: :mad:

You don't have to be so rude, I was just asking.

They have signs up everywhere saying that there pictures are protected by copywrite laws. That is a polite way of saying not to do that. I have to say we just returned and they have leisure photos now.. I think that is what they are called and they are so much fun to take. We were two couples and the photographers asked the men to lay on the floor on their belly's and then for us girls to get on top of them. Some people they asked the girls to jump on their backs... tickle them,,, It was fun to watch as well as have them taken. We were laughing so hard. I agree with the other poster.. wait till the last day and then get your photos all together then take them in and tell them the ones you really want and see what kind of a package you can get. besides....it's only money... they make it everyday.

Jessica.

I would not. However, I have seen people trying to accomplish this.

The photo's are pretty darn good quality and the prices are reasonable considering what you might pay for a professional photographers fees on land.

I hope that has been helpful.:)

I observed people using their digital cameras to take pictures of their photos on the Sapphire. I can't imagine that they got satisfactory reproductions having one person hold the photo and another snapping a photo (with flash). Have you ever tried to take a photo of a photo? Getting good results is difficult.

The Princess photographers do a good job with the time and resources available to them. They do not deserve to have their efforts ripped off.

We always consider one 8X10 an inexpensive souvenir of our cruise. We did as suggested above. Wait until the last night and pick out the best one.

Jess,

I think that caribcruzin did not understand your question. I took your question to be that the pics taken on the cruise are of professional quality at a lower price than having professional pics taken on land.

The pics they took in my opinion were great to the tune of $280.00 that I spent. :D I loved them all and bought all of them. My next cruise I will not being doing that.

Yes! Thank you.

I will wait until the end and choose the ones I want.:)

If you take a photo of a photo, the quality of your photo will be poor. It is difficult to get the focus and exposuse correct without elaborate duplicating equipment an a good close up lens.

For those of you who think this is a good idea, practice it and see what poor quality you get......;)

Listen.... if anyone wants FREE PROFESSIONAL cruise photographs, all you have to do is be onboard a ship when there's a fire. They will be giving them away for nothing. ;)

(I was on the Star.)

Listen.... if anyone wants FREE PROFESSIONAL cruise photographs, all you have to do is be onboard a ship when there's a fire. They will be giving them away for nothing. ;)

(I was on the Star.)

Thanks for the advice...I think I'll pass on that one. ;) Instead, I think I'd rather hand my camera to someone standing in line to have their formal pictures taken too...maybe return the favor for them. That way my pictures have a good chance of coming out similar to the professional's.

Thanks for the advice...I think I'll pass on that one. ;) Instead, I think I'd rather hand my camera to someone standing in line to have their formal pictures taken too...maybe return the favor for them. That way my pictures have a good chance of coming out similar to the professional's.

We did that, hand our camera to have the same picture taken while they were taking a photo....and we were curtly told not to do it. They have the set up and they don't like you to use it.....and it holds up the line and interrupts there procedure.

We just go to a nice location on the ship....such as next to flowers...and take our own photos.

We've just returned from our first cruise on the Grand. We followed the advice gven on previous threads to wait until the end and choose only the best ones. They are pricey, but I assume you help pay for all those pictures taken and not purchased and you also have to pay for the photo staff on board. Perhaps some kind of computer program that would allow you to preview pictures and then have only the ones you want printed with the border you desire could work at a better price. The question would be how many computers are needed to accommodate 2600 passengers.

We ended up with 6 pictures for the price of 5 at week's end. We also purchased the scrapbook for a reasonable $20.00 which included some great professional pictures of the ship's interior and exterior. They are much better than any I could have taken.

The only time I thought that the picture taking got in the way was during the champagne waterfall. Very little waterfall and lots of pictures being taken. I thought the picture taking really lessened the experience of the waterfall for a first time cruiser.

You don't have to be so rude, I was just asking.

although this board is the best cruise board on the web, i do not know why there are so many self righteous and rude posters. while we have never done so, and do not condone it (because we think it a bit tacky), it is possible to take pictures of the pictures. i question how well they would come out. a suspect it is conceivable that a princess photo rep might ask you not to photograph the photos, but i doubt it. i have seen people do it several times without objection. it is not "illegal". your personal photos are your own property, per intellectual property standards, much as they would be if you went to a art museum and took pictures of the paintings. as an attorney i can tell you folks give bad legal advice on these threads all the time. by the way, i am sure the people who are telling you how wrong and illegal taking a picture of those photos is, never drive over the speed limit.

To copy a professional photogragh and not buy it from the photographer is no different than shoplifting in a store. You see an image that you like and you try to take it without paying. That photographer makes his living selling these photos. You are stealing from him. I am sure you did not think of it that way but from my position behind the camera, believe me it is a growing problem. I agree with the advice to decide which shot is your favorite. Pay for it and have a professional quality picture with no guilt attached.

Peggy

it is not "illegal". your personal photos are your own property, per intellectual property standards, much as they would be if you went to a art museum and took pictures of the paintings. as an attorney i can tell you folks give bad legal advice on these threads all the time. QUOTE]

And you went to law school where? Missed that class on copyright law did we? (Not to mention the one on ethics). BTW, taking photos in an art museum is also illegal.

it is not "illegal". your personal photos are your own property, per intellectual property standards,

So...this is good to know.....I can go to a studio, sit for my portrait. and when they show me their results.....I can say.....those are my personal property....please turn them over to me......or let me copy them without compensation to you........:rolleyes:

it is not "illegal". your personal photos are your own property, per intellectual property standards, much as they would be if you went to a art museum and took pictures of the paintings. as an attorney i can tell you folks give bad legal advice on these threads all the time. QUOTE]

And you went to law school where? Missed that class on copyright law did we? (Not to mention the one on ethics). BTW, taking photos in an art museum is also illegal.

Come on don't you remember the IPS chapter in class. :eek:

"copyright" protects against the publication or distribution of writings or works of art. taking your own pictures of someone else's photos (particularly pics of your own family) is permissible as long as you are not distributing them or otherwise profiting from the pictures. has anyone ever taped a tv show or movie? of course you have. illegal? of course not; unless you are redistributing the tape, or profiting from it. it is ridiculous to even suggest it is illegal to take pictures of the paintings at a museum. perhaps you should read your copyright primer. and by the way, copyright was not a required class at my law school; but intellectual property law was an elective class, and i took it ( got an "a"). i am not an intellectual property lawyer; i am a general practice attorney, and have been for the past 14 years. clearly, you are not an authority on this subject.

All You Need Is A Digital Camera. Taking Pictures Of Pictures And Or Whatever Else Is Ones Choice. Call It What You May. We Took Several And They All Came Out Super Great. Same With Taking Pictures Of The Ship, Food, Entertainments, And All Else In General. All In All Over 600 Pictures Taken. The Pro's Pictures Are Expensive So Whats To Say About Saving A Few Dollars Here And There.

Archived