Reading through my ticket contract...

Undrhil

In section 4(b) the contract says "No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others, jewelry, money, cameras, documents ... shall be carried except under and subject to the terms of a special written contract or Bill of Lading entered into with Carnival prior to embarkation upon application of the Guest."

So, we aren't allowed to take cameras, jewelry, etc. in our luggage? Well, that just seems not-right. Has anyone else read this part of their contract and thought this section was odd?

Undrhil

Hmmm, it is a bit tricky isn't it? This part "No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others" I get. The rest of it must refer to something other than your own personal property (or possibly items in bulk) and another section of the contract. We all take those things aboard. Okay, maybe not presents, but the jewelry, cameras, money and documents are all something pretty much expected.

If you read the entire section in total, I believe they mean "checked baggage", and if you do and it is lost or stolen they are not responsible.

In everyday english - "bring your valuables in your carry-on".

Maybe it just means put your valuables in your carry on so you don't lose them if your luggage goes missing or gets ransacked. I mean it is left outside of your room until you pick it up.

:)

I can understand that, but why don't they expressly say that in the contract then? I mean, it would make things much clearer for those of us who don't normally read legal-ese. :)

Undrhil

Household items must be packed in carry on? How am I ever going to get my crock pot, iron and coffee pot in 1 carry on bag? :rolleyes:

Technically, they don't define what size a carry-on bag can be, so I guess as long as you can carry it on the ship, it's a carry-on. :)

Undrhil

Technically, they don't define what size a carry-on bag can be, so I guess as long as you can carry it on the ship, it's a carry-on. :)

Undrhil

Carry on should be no bigger then 11x17 but the website also includes 24x16 in the Security section.

For security purposes, Carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 11"X 17" which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similar to those at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 11"X 17" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter. Once on the ship, the luggage will be delivered to the guests' stateroom by 7:00pm that night.

X-Ray Security Machines for security purposes, carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 24"X 16", which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similarto those used at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 24"X 16" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

Go here to view what not to pack: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

I know what you mean about the contradictory nature of Carnival's fine print. I've been following the threads regarding children booked in their own cabin. (Not to mention having discussed this at length w/ my PVP.) Here's what I found in the contract:

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

And this is what is in the FAQ section:

How old do you have to be to travel alone?

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

So, I guess if they have it both ways, either way they'll be covered?! Sheesh, I wish they'd make up their minds! LOL

Household items must be packed in carry on? How am I ever going to get my crock pot, iron and coffee pot in 1 carry on bag? :rolleyes:

I know this poster was being sarcastic and kidding, but...OK, I gotta ask....

I have read the crock pot thing before on here. Don't tell me that someone actually brought a crock pot on board:rolleyes: . What ever for????

The OP is taking the contract out of context. Of course you can bring cameras, etc... you just can't *work* as a photographer, or as anything else that may compete with Carnival, or infringe on the enjoyment of others. And for liability reasons, first and foremost.

Carnival does not want passengers working on the ship, and that is the only purpose of that statement. Bringing cameras or other "tools" is fine as long as you are not making money with them on the ship.

The OP is taking the contract out of context. Of course you can bring cameras, etc... you just can't *work* as a photographer, or as anything else that may compete with Carnival, or infringe on the enjoyment of others. And for liability reasons, first and foremost.

Carnival does not want passengers working on the ship, and that is the only purpose of that statement. Bringing cameras or other "tools" is fine as long as you are not making money with them on the ship.

No, that was not taken out of context. There is another clause which talks about soliciting commercial or professional services while on-board, which would cover the aspect of working on the ship without approval from Carnival. I'm thinking that the paragraph I quoted was trying to remove liability from Carnival in the event that my luggage had been ransacked and my valuables removed. If I put these things in my luggage and someone steals them, Carnival can just say "We told you so." So, I'll be packing my camera in my carry-on bag and my laptop will be a second carry-on bag. :)

Undrhil

I know this poster was being sarcastic and kidding, but...OK, I gotta ask....

I have read the crock pot thing before on here. Don't tell me that someone actually brought a crock pot on board:rolleyes: . What ever for????

As I understand it, there was a post at one time by a first-time cruiser asking if they could bring a crock pot to save money on meals.

I never saw this myself, so whether it is truth or urban legend, I cannot say. Perhaps one of the 10k+ posters can say for sure?

Yep! Hi Jo..........

That thread has been here a few times over the years......its always a joke though. Kinda like, don't forget your George Foreman barbecue for the balcony thread....never serious.

Yep! Hi Jo..........

That thread has been here a few times over the years......its always a joke though. Kinda like, don't forget your George Foreman barbecue for the balcony thread....never serious.

:eek: <boinking self in head>

Poolgal - thanks for clarifying. No wonder my steward looked at me funny when I complained about the lack of counter space for my grill, blender, toaster, and turkey roaster!;)

"No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others" other than your own personal property . quote]:rolleyes:

Key word is property of Others.. What their saying is you cannot bring goods of trade or comerce on board to sell or trade on the ship or in another port without a contract with carnival for transport and a bill of laden.

you can bring your on personal items, camera's, jewerly etc. on board with you for your on personal use.

if you read most airline contracts, you will find a similar statement...

also other cruise lines have same or similar disclaimers

Archived