Travel Insurance Question

Annie34

I just cancelled a cruised for next February that I had booked with a huge online internet agency. We'll call it agency EX. (DH and I decided to go with a different Carnival ship and cabin type, and wanted to book directly with Carnival to avoid the middle-man.) I had purchased the travel insurance, as I've found it valuable in the past when my hubby had a medical issue onboard.

When I cancelled the cruise I was told that not only do they keep the $15.00 booking fee, (which I'd expected,) but they cannot refund the $178.00 for the travel insurance. They told me to contact the insurer to see if they will give me a refund, but they are not open until Monday. I read through what I have of the policy, and there is nothing that states that the premium is non-refundable, so maybe I'll have a shot. I will never again book anything with this agency, and I told them as much. Is this standard practice? Or should I push harder? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

I just cancelled a cruised for next February that I had booked with a huge online internet agency. We'll call it agency EX. (DH and I decided to go with a different Carnival ship and cabin type, and wanted to book directly with Carnival to avoid the middle-man.) I had purchased the travel insurance, as I've found it valuable in the past when my hubby had a medical issue onboard.

When I cancelled the cruise I was told that not only do they keep the $15.00 booking fee, (which I'd expected,) but they cannot refund the $178.00 for the travel insurance. They told me to contact the insurer to see if they will give me a refund, but they are not open until Monday. I read through what I have of the policy, and there is nothing that states that the premium is non-refundable, so maybe I'll have a shot. I will never again book anything with this agency, and I told them as much. Is this standard practice? Or should I push harder? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

When you call the insurance place Monday ask if you can just transfer the insurance to you new cruise. There might be a fee but it would better than losing out on you money all together.:)

Why will you not use the agency again? Because of their policy on the insurance? What if the policy is the same at every other agency, including booking directly with Carnival?

I think the advice is correct that you will need to take up the issue with the insurance company. Seems like you should not have to lose the entire premium since the cruise is obviously not into the penalty period yet.

I don't have the answers you are looking for, I just found it odd that you are blaming this on the agency.

Typically insurance premiums through outside suppliers are NOT refundable; that's why I always advise clients to get the insurance at final payment...because that is when they would need it, if they have to cancel. There are insurers that even cover pre-existing medical conditions if you buy the insurance within 24 hours of final payment (CSA, to be exact).

It's really unfortunate that you booked with a company that not only had a FEE for cancelling (many TAs do not) but who did not advise you that your deposit would have been FULLY refundable (with no additional fees at many agencies) up until final payment was due (or the day before). It's at THAT point, when you have something to LOSE monetarily, that trip insurance makes sense.

Before that time, if you cancel and you have trip insurance through an outside supplier, you will get your deposit back but NOT your trip insurance premium.

Hope that helps to explain a bit. :)

Don't know why you want to eliminate the middle man since my TA always, 100% of the time beats Carnivals prices and gives perfect service. You have your reasons, I don't need to know.

About the insurance: From the instant you purchased your insurance, your were covered for all that is in the policy. If you had a claim situation one minute after purchase, you were covered. In others words the insurance company did deliver the product and you used it. The online agency cannot make a refund on a used product that they did not provide.

However, as stated above, the insurance co. will probably be willing to transfer the coverage to your new cruise. If it is more, they will probably want additional prem. if less there will probably not be any partial refunds.

Don't blame the online travel agency for this.

Dan

I have to say THANK YOU for your post. A lot of us will learn from your hard lesson.

I think Dan40 has explained it best. The insurance company did provide you with the service you bought starting the minute you gave them money.

Having said that, I would think it only resonable that the insurance allow you to transfer to a different booking.

If the insurance company doesn't transfer, I'd get my pound of flesh. File a claim for the cancelation fee. While the $15 isn't really worth it, it will cost the insurance company money to process the claim.:D

...If the insurance company doesn't transfer, I'd get my pound of flesh. File a claim for the cancelation fee. While the $15 isn't really worth it, it will cost the insurance company money to process the claim.:D

I don't think the insurance company would cover the $15 cancellation fee, because they didn't cancel for a covered reason. They just felt like cancelling.

Typically insurance premiums through outside suppliers are NOT refundable; that's why I always advise clients to get the insurance at final payment...because that is when they would need it, if they have to cancel. There are insurers that even cover pre-existing medical conditions if you buy the insurance within 24 hours of final payment (CSA, to be exact).

I've never felt comfortable waiting until the final payment to buy CSA travel insurance, because CSA could change their policy at any time and require the trip insurance to be purchased within a timeframe similar to other policies (to waive pre-existing conditions.)

I don't think the insurance company would cover the $15 cancellation fee, because they didn't cancel for a covered reason. They just felt like cancelling.

I'd still make them go through the paperwork just to get my pound of flesh:D

I've been in this situation a couple of times, and have been able to xfer my insurance to the new cruise I booked. They adjusted the price of the insurance accordingly. I think the company I use told me I had a year (or something like that) to apply it to another cruise.

As a TA and as much as I am not crazy over on line agencies; in this case they are correct. You purchase the insurance throw us but we then pay an inusrance company and No, we do not get the money back. I do not understand why you couldn't transfer it to another cruise though. At least give them a call and suggest it or maybe they will give you a break. I haven't ever had this happen. Please let us know what takes place, but do not blame the TA, this isn't their fault. Good luck,

NMNita

If your home burned down would you expect to get the insurrance you paid in back, I would think not. You paid for a service and you received it. Its rediculous to think you would get a refund for the insurance.

As far as the fees, I have dealt with online agencies that charge these and it clearly states they are non refunable even if you cancel. this has just been my experience.

If your home burned down would you expect to get the insurrance you paid in back, I would think not. You paid for a service and you received it. Its rediculous to think you would get a refund for the insurance.
I think you are coming across a little too strong on this one. All they are doing is changing from one cruise to another and it is way before sailing time. Though I do not think she will get it back I do understand her asking. NMnita

Two thing I would do...

1) Try to get a refund directly from the insurance company

OR

2) Just have the policy transfered to the new cruise. I changed the date on my cruise and Travelex gladly changed the policy dates (I faxed the request to them with my signiture).

I bought 4 policies, then cnceled the cruise. I found out two things:

1. You have a set amount of time w/ the insurance to cancel (like 10 days)

2. if you ever buy insurance, do not buy it through your TA, buy it on your own.

Through MUCH hassle, and after being told the insurance would not be transferable (bcs of buying thru the TA and re-bookiing wiht another), I finally got the insurance transfered to the new cruise.

This makes no sense. :confused: Your homeowner's insurance would cover the cost of the damage, according to the terms of your policy. No doubt you'd be getting much more out of that policy than you'd put in. Not a good comparison.

This makes no sense. :confused: Your homeowner's insurance would cover the cost of the damage, according to the terms of your policy. No doubt you'd be getting much more out of that policy than you'd put in. Not a good comparison.
An excellent comparison. If your house *didn't* burn down, do you think you could get a refund on your insurance premium?

Just because the OP didn't make a claim under the insurnace doesn't mean they should expect a refund. As others have said, their best option is to transfer the insurace.

An excellent comparison. If your house *didn't* burn down, do you think you could get a refund on your insurance premium?
Heck no, but that's not how the original statement was worded. It said if your house burned down . . .

I didn't even address the OP's cruise insurance issue. I cannot imagine that they will or should get a refund, but I would think they may be able to transfer it to their new cruise (just like when you buy a car, house, etc -- not the same thing by a long shot, but it may work).

We decided to change our booking through an online TA a couple of years ago. Were booked on the 7 night Inspiration and changed to the Glory. We had purchased our own travel insurance and were able to get the policy transferred to the new ship, as we were still going on the same cruiseline and our existing funds just went toward the new booking. Good luck.

Joanne

I recently booked a CC group cruise 18 months from now on the new Carnival Freedom. CC uses a particuar agent for the group cruises. I was impressed at how he handled the insurance question.

He asked is either DW or I had any pre-existing condition that could cause us to cancel the cruise. I told him we did not have any such condition.

He told us to wait and not buy insurance until close to the time of the final payment, when the penalties kick in. You don't need insurance if you can just call and cancel and get a full refund, right?

HOWEVER, if you have a pre-existing condition, you must buy the cruise insurance at the time of booking or very soon thereafter (like 10 days or something) or the insurance will not cover your pre-existing condition. That is what I was told. I will get the insurance next summer sometime.

Sorry it has taken so long to respond to all of your posts. Life kind of got in the way of my cruisecritic habit!

As the OP, I apologize for the tone I used in the post...In my heightened state of frustration I forgot to mention that the person I dealt with on the phone at the agency was not helpful at all, bordering on downright rude, which just made me lose my cool a little. It was the tone that was used by the agent that makes me not want to use them again. It came off as, "Too bad. Not my problem, nothing I can do." Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of the person at the time.

I will call the insurer on Monday to see what they can do about transferring it to the new cruise. It's a 7-day vs. a 6, but I'd be willing to pay the extra to keep the insurance and not lose what I've spent so far.

I do wish that there was some kind of information about changes in the fine print of the policy, but I have not found anything.

I purchased the insurance immediately for a couple of reasons. 1) Because the agent who helped us with our last cruise said it had to be done within 15 days of booking, (or something like that,) and being somewhat new to cruising (and admittedly a little naive and uninformed,) figured there must be a reason, 2) as someone else mentioned, I wasn't sure if it would necessarily be available for later purchase, especially if DH were to have additional health issues crop up between now and purchase time that might be considered pre-existing. From now on I will probably wait until final payment to obtain and pay for the insurance. Lesson learned.

I appreciate all of the input and experiences you've shared. Thank you!

I purchased the insurance immediately for a couple of reasons. 1) Because the agent who helped us with our last cruise said it had to be done within 15 days of booking, (or something like that,) and being somewhat new to cruising (and admittedly a little naive and uninformed,) figured there must be a reason,

The "15-day item" [the exact number of days varies with the insurance you buy] would add coverage for many "pre-existing medical conditions" that are currently stable...but might force you to cancel a cruise at the last minute. In most cases, that "rider" would pay any penalty that occurs if you cancel.

If you are going on another cruise, at the same time only a diffrent supplier,

switch you supplier on the insurance policy, I have done this. Call your insurance provider Monday. I know Travelex will do this,you are covering your self not the Cruise name.

Ok, so here's the update.....

I spoke with someone from the travel agency's customer service department, (who was very friendly by the way,) and was first told that it could be done by them if the new cruise was booked within 24 hours. It had only been about 18 hours at that point. She placed me on hold and came back to tell me that there was unfortunately nothing they could do as far as a transfer goes. It was up to the insurance company, and dependent upon their policies.

I spoke with the insurer this morning, and they said that it is not something that they do...it's an AGENCY policy not to transfer, so I'll need to talk with the agency again too see what can be done.

I also found out that the agency has a $50 cancellation fee and along with losing out on the travel insurance, and the booking fee, that's a grand total of a $243.00 loss on this cruise which I'm not taking and doesn't set sail for 10 more months. :(

As far as the "wanting something for nothing" -type comments, my opinion differs a little. I'm not trying to light a fire here, but I feel that the insurance company has not provided a service for me at this point. Until final payment has been made, any deposit monies are returned anyway, regardless of whether or not insurance was purchased. It is after the final payment has been made where I feel the insurance is able to do it's job. Until then, it's pointless, just sitting there with it's hands tied. It is for that reason from now on I will wait until final payment time to purchase, as many have suggested.

On the up-side, we're still sailing next February, just on a different Carnival ship. And I can't wait! :D

I think if you take up the time of a TA and then take the business elsewhere because you find a better cruise, a reasonable penalty in appropriate. You took their time, they get nothing from the lost booking, so some compensation is in order.

About the insurance, maybe next time you won't pay for it so far out. You only need to buy it when you are near the penalty period. Live and learn!

Archived