Golden Princess, in Scotland

Shogun

Very gracious of you - thanks. We are arriving in Scotland for a pre-cruise visit. Spending 3 days in Aberdeen (where my parents come from), then taking the train down from there to Edinburgh just for the day, then back to Aberdeen that night. Will be "short and sweet", but better than nothing. I thought the best way to see the highlights would be on the hop on/off tour bus, but if you have another idea, please feel free. You can either post or e-mail me at jackiereid19@hotmail.com.

Thanks again!

Hi There,

Greenock is an old industrial area with a deep sea port, so nothing much to do in Greenock so you need to go on tour either by yourself or through Princess.

The problem is you have so many great things to see and do within an hours drive is picking what you want to do.

Edinburgh has so much to offer, if you are going there only for a few hours, I wouls say take a short open top bus tour to get an idea of the city, try and get an hour to see the castle, paliment building, may be the Palace as well. There are plentry of places of interest to see in around this area of Edinburgh. The shops in Princess street are a must, however running behind the full length of Princess street is another very good street that many tourists never see.

If I had only a few hours to see Scotland I would take the Lochs tour,

it is a few hours by bus but you will get a chance to see some of Scotland, you should get to go to a woolen mill, see the Sheep dog, school, a trip on an old steam paddle boat, lunch in a big old house and some great views of Scotland.

Glasgow is closer and offers many great things to see and do.

I was on the Golden last year when she came to Greenock, while a live only a few miles away it was very intersting to see how we would be treated as a tourist.

Now having sailed in and out of many ports around the world I could not beleave at the send off the ship got from the locals, bag pipes, high dancers, the quay side lined for a mile with folk waving flags, and loads of little boats following out to sea. Plus the ships hooting at us and the captain answering back.

yours

Shogun

Hi there,

I only know of one , that is Kens garage, as I understand it they will bring the car to the dock for you and you can return the car to the dock.

phone is +44 1862 842266

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

If anyone is coming to Scotland and wants any info on what to do etc, will be glad to give ideas.

yours

Shogun

Thanks Shogun,

We are on the Golden on the Aug 20 sailing which stops in Scotland.

How hard would it be to go see Stirling and Loch Lomond in the same day??

Do you know of any tour company's that do this???

All of us are big fans of the movie "Braveheart" and thought it might be fun to go there.

The the Stirling tour from Princess is only offered when it stops near Edinburgh.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi There,

Lived in Stirling for years now life just out side,

I would think you may need to hire a car.

From Greenock 30 minute drive over Erskine Bridge will take you to Balloch, Loch Lomond visitor centre here worth stopping at.

From there head for Stirling 40 minutes drive very nice scenery.

You will enter Stirling on the Castle side you will see castle from miles away as you approach city.

Go to top of Old town, visit Castle, Argyll Lodings and Old Jail all side by side.

Walk into town centre art things museums etc etc Good places for Lunch.

Used to be video shows at castle about days of old.

The to Wallace monument climb all the steps to the top amazing views.

Then head for motorway stop at Bannockburn Centre see robert The Bruce more video etc.

The motorway to Greenock could do it on a good day in an hour I would give youself 2 to 2.5 hours to get back as you need to go through Glasgow which has a very good motorway but one accident.

If you need phone numbers, times or prices let me know and will see what I can find for you.

yours Shogun

Hi There,

If I had only a few hours to see Scotland I would take the Lochs tour,

it is a few hours by bus but you will get a chance to see some of Scotland, you should get to go to a woolen mill, see the Sheep dog, school, a trip on an old steam paddle boat, lunch in a big old house and some great views of Scotland.

Princess lists two tours of the Lochs. The one you're describing and another that goes to a castle. I was a little put off by the shopping aspect of the one you went on. Princess seems to like to stop at places that sell things. In any event, which would you recommend to a probably only time visitor?

Shogun, how very kind of you! Our family was on the Western European capitals cruise last summer and we all loved Scotland the most. I would have to say that the people were the friendliest and kindest in your country. We loved talking with a gentleman playing his bagpipe who had his Lab sitting right beside him. Of course, it only made me miss our Lab all the more:( but the man was so sweet and we will never forget his kindness.

Linda

Hi There

Can you give me details of other tour and will see if I can give you idea of what you will see.

The one I did, has very little shopping time and goes to no big towns.

Some folk complained about lack of shopping time.

However its not ment as a shopping trip.

It breaks down into a bus tour, with a stop for photos when required,

with a

a stop in the morning for the sheep dogs, Lunch at a very nice hotel on the banks of a Loch, then an afternoon trip down a Loch in a steam boat.

The main thing I recall from the trip was the sheep dogs it was great fun,

if you are not into dogs etc I could see this being of little interest, however there was also birds of prey at the centre where you could hold one and have a photo taken. If you did not want to spend to much time with the dogs the village it is in would be a good shopping trip.

yours Shogun

Hi There

Can you give me details of other tour and will see if I can give you idea of what you will see.

Here are the details from the Princess description:

WHAT YOU VISIT

Inveraray Castle - One of the earliest examples of Gothic Revival and Scots Baronial architecture, the castle, which dates from 1770, is the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, head of the Campbell clan. The highlights of your tour include the collection of family portraits, tapestries, and the Armory Hall, which alone contains 1,300 pieces of art, and finely appointed rooms boasting an exquisite collection of French 18th-century furniture, English china, family artifacts and objects d’ art.

Luss - This pretty village sits on the west shore of Loch Lomond. In Gaelic, "lus" means plant or herb; the village in spring and summer is a riot of color from roses and wildflowers. Stroll the village and view the stone cottages, or walk out onto the pier for a closer look at Loch Lomond. The loch’s "bonny banks" are famed in song and legend.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Cross Erskine Bridge with distant views of Glasgow as you travel to Loch Lomond. The loch’s wide, southern end is dotted with small islands, and its northern end narrows to resemble a fjord. From Loch Lomond, you will drive through Glen Croe and Glen Kinglas. The road twists and turns through the highlands, offering both mountain and glen views. Descend to Loch Fyne and Inveraray. Return to the ship, traveling along Loch Eck and Holy Loch to Hunters Quay, where you take a ferry across the River Clyde and then drive to Greenock.

Thank you very much for your advice.

This quite hard, as both tours are good, one has more history to it while one has a bit more of a fun side ie. dogs and old steam boat.

Again if the weather was bad the castle is indoors, while the steam boat is not full enclosed.

Both avoid bing shopping areas.

It will depend on what things you like, I picked the dogs etc because I was looking for a fun day out.

However there is nothing in USA that compares to the castle, its collections of things are outstanding.

I will post a link for you.

yours Shogun

Glasgow is closer and offers many great things to see and do.

The Transport Museum in Glasgow is wonderful, especially for one who loves ship. The huge ship model room with models of Scottish-built ships (some of the most famous ships ever) is fantastic.

Now having sailed in and out of many ports around the world I could not beleave at the send off the ship got from the locals, bag pipes, high dancers, the quay side lined for a mile with folk waving flags, and loads of little boats following out to sea. Plus the ships hooting at us and the captain answering back.

Not surprising, as the Scots are amongst the friendliest and kindest people anywhere.

Hi Folks,

Found this picture of the Golden Princess in Greenock on a fine Scottish Summers day.

Do not worry it only rains 364 days a year it will be sunny the day you come to visit us.

yours

Shogun

Thanks Shogun for the picture. Who cares about rain.......that's one of the many things that makes the Scots a hardy breed.........my wee grandmother who hailed from Inverness lived to almost 100 years old......just five months shy of her birthdate. Also, the dales and highlands would never be as beautiful as they are without all that rain to keep them green. All of us North Americans will just have to tough it out...........gee that's going to be so hard! I can hardly wait!

Pat

Archived