More "Geezers" on TransAtlantic or Hawaii cruises?

kimanjo

Question: are there more "geezers" on TransAtlantic sailings or Hawaii cruises in April/November?

My sister read a review of a Hawaii cruise (LAX to Hawaii and back to LAX, 2 weeks) and the reviewer said that over 90% of the cruisers were over age 70, and many were sick and infirm.

Sister contends that this is because there was no air required, the "geezers" could just drive (or be driven) to port and board the ship.

Whereas a TransAtlantic cruise requires a long flight and the elderly and infirm "geezers" won't have the wherewithall to make the flight and take the cruise, nor would an airline allow an infirm passenger (with an oxygen tank) to board the airplane.

Therefore, Sister feels that a TransAtlantic cruise would be more lively and with a younger group of passengers. She hasn't read any TransAtlantic reviews that mention a 90% "geezer" population. In both cases, we realize, there would be few, if any children, as the cruises happen in April and early November.

Any feedback on this? Thanks so much! (and no offense to "geezers" intended--my dad's a geezer and yet he constantly cuts down the other geezers for being geezers!)

Unless they live in or near LA, then there would be airline travel involved. This geezer is sailing out of LA in January. She and the geezer she'd married to definitely won't be driving from Florida to California to catch the ship.

I think you'll find more retired and/or empty-nesters on cruises of longer than a week, the more days longer than a week, the more retired and/or empty-nesters are liable to be on board. Personally, I'd expect to find an older crowd on a trans-atlantic than on a Hawaii cruise because a trans-atlantic is much more relaxing with only one or two ports of call.

As far as the "geezer" thing, no offense taken. I've been quite enjoying my geezerhood.

Not to geezerhood yet, but on the edge of "dirty old man". Another year or so and I'll be fully qualified.

One thing you have to remember is that old age and treachery beats youth and talent a good percentage of the time.

You'll probably won't find too many families on the Hawaiian RT cruises in November. Maybe some in April (spring break plus a week off from school) but still not that many. There were about 250 kids on our cruise in late December/early January and only 31 listed for the Jan. 6 cruise. And many other people under 60 without kids. I guess for the other times it just depends on how many people with a two-week block of vacation are going.

I do not think that has anything to do with it-where the cruise is going from-because where ever people from other areas would need to fly in-it has more to do with vacation time and if people who even have enough vacation time can leave work that long at one time.

I know my friend was unable to go with her husband and his family on a 10 day cruise because she can only take only one Mon. thru Fri together at one time with her job. She gets 3 weeks vacation a year but she has to spread out her vacation time. Alot of people are in the same boat with their jobs.

So any cruise over 7 days will have lots of "geezers" as you put it and with people retiring older and older now a days it will be more so.

You could fly into Europe or fly into Hawaii and take just a 7 day cruise with possibly a couple days of a land vacation-if you really mind older people I do beleive that is the only way around it.

I agree that the length of the cruise is one of the bigger determinations. We did a 17 day Panama Canal cruise on the Norwegian Sun last April/May and the average age on the full ship was 63. Very few children. I did notice that the various lounges did not stay open as long as they did on our recently completed Dawn 11 day cruise which had a wider age mix :). Being a geezer myself, I was happy with both :p.

I totally agree with the length of the cruise being the determining factor, where 7 days or less you will have a younger crowd, but in addition to that, I think the number of ports has something to do with it. My husband and myself (no kids) being in our early 40's would NEVER do a transatlantic, or a cruise where there were more than 2 sea days in a row. We'd just get too bored. We need the excitement of the islands and ports. I think the transatlantic and trans-pacific cruises with only one or two ports really caters more to the "I love to sit on the deck and read a book crowd" thus generally an older crowd. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you are looking for in a vacation. We prefer to go, go, go and see,see,see and snorkel and mingle and party, and eat local cuisine, shop and hike, etc. I don't think the age of the passengers, though will make or break a cruise. It's how much fun you make it yourselves. We've had wonderful times with some of the older crowds onboard some of our cruises. You'd be surprised how much fun some "old geezers" will have!

Mrsfuzzmo

Kimango - You really like using that word, don't you?:p Many of us who have reached senior status (and perhaps invested our money wisely) enjoy cruising as well as other forms of vacation.

Sorry, dear, but I DO take offense at references you made a coupla dozen times. A little half-hearted apology at the end doesn't justify your remarks. I suppose we should be happy sitting at home knitting what's left of our life away? I'd suggest you take it a little easier on us golden oldies - we enjoy life just as much as you, maybe in a nicer, more genteel way.

I had to have my Dad read this. He is a 78 year old Geezer that has more energy than most 30 and 40 year olds. He travels all the tilme. Goes to the gym 3 times a week as well as the pool every day. He has been on every cruise possible and normally is loved by all. He competes in all the contest on board the ship and performs if they have the passengers entertained by such. I am 55 and don't really consider myself a "Geezer",however, I hope when I do I am just like my Dad.

Just remember everyone will be there some day if you are lucky.

According to the Oxford dictionary, a "GEEZER" is an old man. So what does that make us older ladies? ??GEEZERETTES???

Geezer seems to have negative, therefore degrading, connotations.

I'm believe that because I'm older, I'm also better and more experienced in life, so your terminology is offensive and offending.

I may be older, but I love to travel, especially cruising. I love meeting new people and visiting new places. I am physically active, exercise daily, and love to be "on the go". If I would have to travel in a wheelchair and/or using oxygen, I would still love going places, meeting new people, and visiting places I've never seen before.

It really would be nice if you would find a more positive term for defining us senior travelers. We really are a great group of people.

Sister must not travel much if she thinks the elderly aren't allowed to fly.:rolleyes:

It's not the location of the port so much as the length of the cruise that will determine how many seasoned seniors are on board. The airlines are not going to refuse passage to an old fart because he or she is "infirm," which doesn't necessarily mean travelling with oxygen, BTW. And today's ancient wonders have plenty of "wherewithal" to pay for the flights, not to mention hiring drivers to take them to the airport (todays grannies & grampses are going to be responsible for the largest intergenerational wealth transfer in history). Any of those terms work for anybody?

I'm reading between the lines that Sister wants to cruise with people closer to whatever your age is, i.e. few children and few over 70. I don't think she's going to have much luck.

Flamomo, I think the proper term would be "geezettes" or "geezelles." ;)

Can't say I care for either one of the "G" names.

Seasoned Seniors is certainly kinder.

Grannies and Grampses are a tiny bit more respectful than the "G" words.

Ancient Wonders isn't comfortable, at least to me. I may be a Wonder, but ancient doesn't apply till at least 90. If I make it that long, I'll be a Proud Wonder.

"Old Fart" is rather rude, unless said in jest.

As far as the "Wealth", must be why past 65'ers are sometimes referred to as Golden Agers.

However, I'll be any of the above as long as it means I can continue to cruise!

is a wonderful term. That is what I am at the ripe old age of 55 and when my grandchildren say, "Granny I sure do love you " it makes my heart pitter patter just like those little feet use to do when my children were young. It is a shame that Sister does not want to ge around the children, which I presume she once was nor the "G" grannies which hopefully one day she may be blessed. Life revolves around everyone not just Sister and her "group".

It's the length not the itinerary that is a problem. I'm in my late 20s and on my 10-night Panama Canal cruise (during spring break times) there maybe 100 people under the age of 30 and I'm including the kids in the kids club. But just because the average of the ship was probably in the 60s, don't take that to mean that the ship wasn't alive. Those so called "geezers" were dancing the nights away and closing the bars down.

I am the OP--please don't take the term so darn seriously! Old age is all in the head, NOT the body.

I am age 45 and my husband is 59.5, and our teen (13) daughter calls us geezers!

Heck, we even jokingly refer to ourselves as geezers! Handy excuse when you forget where you parked your car.

Our family has cruised quite a bit and our longest cruise was Asia, 21 days...4 children on the ship (ours was one), and plenty of seniors--some of them hysterically funny and others crotchety as all heck. It didn't bother us, either way...we just felt sorry for the really ancient people who couldn't climb the temple steps to see inside the temple...That's when I told my husband that we should travel NOW, as much as possible, because one day we won't be able to climb the temple steps, either.

The reason for my post was that my sister read a Hawaii cruise review (I think it was the Millenium) from a highly experienced cruiser, and he repeatedly pointed out that 90% of the cruisers were very, very elderly and very, very complaining. The reviewer said they were on a great ship with a wonderful itinerary and yet these extremely old people did nothing but grumble the entire cruise. He went on to say that it was so bad that even the comedian in the nightclub joked about it.

So sis (who has sailed a few times herself) was a little alarmed about the extended Hawaii cruise. She's convinced the TransAtlantic will be more lively (translation: not such a dour crowd) but personally, I don't buy that idea.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. On one of my cruises out of Miami was only 5 nights, and the WORST part of the trip was MOST of the other passengers. I've rarely heard so much whining and complaining. The Ship was older, but in excellent condition, and the Crew and Service was GREAT! I definitely would NOT say that MOST of the other passengers were what I would consider "Senior" status. One couple went on an excursion to the RAIN FOREST and complained that the path was WET & MUDDY! LOL....They said they were going to INSIST that the Ship pay to have their shoes and pants cleaned....lol. On top of it all, the description of the excursion warned of the Wet & Muddy conditions in the RAIN FOREST! I'd say they were in late 40's. Things that make you go HMMMM.......

The reason for my post was that my sister read a Hawaii cruise review (I think it was the Millenium) from a highly experienced cruiser, and he repeatedly pointed out that 90% of the cruisers were very, very elderly and very, very complaining. The reviewer said they were on a great ship with a wonderful itinerary and yet these extremely old people did nothing but grumble the entire cruise. He went on to say that it was so bad that even the comedian in the nightclub joked about it.

So sis (who has sailed a few times herself) was a little alarmed about the extended Hawaii cruise. She's convinced the TransAtlantic will be more lively (translation: not such a dour crowd) but personally, I don't buy that idea.

It really depends on who is cruising with you. I've heard really great things about the Hawaii Circle Cruises, including those on Celebrity, especially if you are younger. It's like with everything: one week you may have a really happy, go-with-the flow kind of crowd, the next week it may be complainers.

Hate to say this but me and my other half Being in our 40's do love to do TransAtlantic trips. We dont like the 4days in a row at sea but love the long trip and the places we go to that you wouldnt hit in one cruise trip if you did a 7day one. We have picked 9 and 12 nighters from the main land to over seas and love them. Yes most of the poeple are older then we are but that is fine, we can make our own fun doing things. Pick your trip on what you want to do not on how "old" the other will be. Have found a few of those OLD people to be great to talk with and play games with.

I think I'll prefer the title Geezelle to Geezette when I get there, how old do I have to be??

I've not taken a TransAtlantic cruise (yet), but I have been on a couple Hawaii cruises, not the round trip ones, the 7 day ones. There were plenty of Geezers ans Geezettes aboard, more than anywhere else we've cruised. Some of them were lovely people, some of them were horrid.

Just like any other age group.

You make your own fun, don't worry about everyone else. My mother used to tell us when we said we were bored "only boring people get bored". So, it depends on what you consider to be fun. We probably like to do things that would make others yawn, other people are doing things we wouldn't bother to take the time to do.

Archived