Another Dinner Question

Ceece911

Do you know what they are having for dinner before you go to the dining room? Because if it is something that I would not want, I would just rather go and grab something from the buffet. When I looked on the Carnival web site, on some of the example meals, I would not like anything. And I am not crazy about steak and grilled chicken. I would hate to look crazy at the dinner table just ordering dessert. :confused:

As you can tell, this will be my first cruise.

While it's nice to check the menu on your TV (not sure if all ships offer this), you have to be careful........ on the Victory last June there were two days where the TV menus were swapped around. To be safe just walk down to a dining room around lunchtime and see what menu they have posted for that night.

John

Be wild and try something new. I use that as a chance to try new things. If you don't like it you can always order something else. Sometimes the things that sound really ucky end up being pretty good. And you can always order a steak.

Be wild and try something new. I use that as a chance to try new things. If you don't like it you can always order something else. Sometimes the things that sound really ucky end up being pretty good. And you can always order a steak.

I was going to say the same thing! You can even order two entrees at once if you're not sure. Worst case, you sit through dinner, then grab a slice upstairs.

I agree with using a cruise as a place to try new foods. Up here in New England we have great seafood, but on a cruise they have different types of fish that are not usually available up here. Cruising is where I discovered red snapper, grouper & sea bass. Who knew they were so delicious?

Also, between the appetizer(s), soup(s), salad(s) and dessert(s) you can definitely fill up without even trying an entree. I personally would hate to miss the experience of eating in the dining room. I love getting to know our servers and tablemates! And my experience with the servers is, they don't judge you and seem to really enjoy bringing you whatever you want. If by any chance you leave the dining room hungry (I can't imagine it - lol) you can always go grab a slice of pizza or order some room service.

Oh, and I almost forgot. You can order of the kids menu if you truly don't see anything you want - usually chicken fingers, burgers, PB&J, grilled cheese, and a couple more I forget, plus chicken noodle soup, fruit cup and probably another appetizer.

Ceece - Since you'll be on the Holiday, the menus won't be on the TV screen (at least that wasn't available on my last Holiday cruise). You can check at the entrance to the dining room every afternoon and the menu will be posted outside the door.

Even though you don't see anything you like now, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's a good opportunity to expand your culinary experiences. If you order something and don't like it, the waiter will bring you something else.

You don't care for steak or chicken either? The only thing I can say is that if you aren't adventurous and willing to try new dishes, you might just want to have your meals at the Lido Buffet area. Lots of odds and ends there that might suit your tastebuds better - more 'regular food', I guess you could say. You'll be missing a great opportunity to try new and gourmet-type foods, but it's your call.

There's always the Pizzeria and Deli. Good luck.:)

One of my favorite things about Carnival is the CHEESES they offer. I always order a sampling of cheeses. They are wonderful with their little crackers and bread. I never see people order them though, but they are on the menu.

I loved going over by the dining room each afternoon to figure out what I wanted to eat that night.

I'd encourage you to eat in the Dining room simply because of the atmosphere. When the wait staff puts your napkin on your lap, getting to watch the show, awesome desserts. Our wait staff was amazing, and truly made our cruise. We were laughing every night at our head waitor's antics.

One of my favorite things about Carnival is the CHEESES they offer. I always order a sampling of cheeses. They are wonderful with their little crackers and bread. I never see people order them though, but they are on the menu.

My DH orders the cheese plate sampler every night in lieu of dessert. My kids call him the "turophile" (sp.??), which is a cheese fanatic. It is a wonderful variety of unusual selections, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to remember that, my hubby LOVES cheese,thinks he knows every type of cheese they make:p

Archived