First time cruiser.. random questions about the Sun

kristin98020

Hiya! My husband and I just booked a Norwegian Sun Cruise to Alaska for mid-June. I have a few random questions I was hoping you could help with!

1) The online photos of our oceanview room show two twin beds. Can these be moved together or are they attached?

2) How is the wine selection on board? What's the average cost of a cocktail? I know you're not supposed to bring your own alcohol... but do they really check your bag? Do they check your bag when coming back from a day stop?

3) Is gratuity included? or, should you tip for dinner, drinks, room service, etc?

3) What is your absolute FAVorite shore excursion in Ketchikan or Skagway? (on a budget, and can probably only do one!)

4) What are your thoughts on simply renting a car for the day while in port and adventuring on your own with a map and smile! :) Worthwhile or sketchy?

Thank for your help! I really appreciate it!

1) The online photos of our oceanview room show two twin beds. Can these be moved together or are they attached?

Yes.

2) How is the wine selection on board?

Surf to http://www.ncl.com/more/wine_list.htm

2a)What's the average cost of a cocktail?

A regular cocktail around $5-6, the drink "Special" for the Day around $8-9.

By the time the Alaska cruises begin, I wouldn't be surprised to see another price hike.

2b)I know you're not supposed to bring your own alcohol... but do they really check your bag?

They x-ray all bags. You will be present for any searches.

2c) Do they check your bag when coming back from a day stop?

Yes.

3) Is gratuity included? or, should you tip for dinner, drinks, room service, etc?

There's a $10 per day per passenger (adults) service charge. There's also an auto gratuity for bar menu items at 15%. There's no need to tip waiters, bar tenders, or room stewards that serve everybody. But, since not all passengers are sailing with kids using the Kids Crew program, nor do non-suite passengers use the concierge or butler services, you should tip them as you feel they deserve if they apply to you. Room service is free, but you should tip the attendant on every trip to your cabin.

3) What is your absolute FAVorite shore excursion in Ketchikan or Skagway? (on a budget, and can probably only do one!)

Tour of the totem poles in Ketchikan.

The White Pass & Railway tours, there's several choices.

4) What are your thoughts on simply renting a car for the day while in port and adventuring on your own with a map and smile! Worthwhile or sketchy?

The only port you can drive a considerable distance is at Skagway. A trip by car across the Canadian border to Dawson may be too far, but Carcross can easily be reached. The mountain and valley landscapes are awesome.

Here's a link to a photo album from cruiselvr who took this drive, who also often posts here.

http://community.webshots.com/album/389708982KaVWdi

Here's his link for the entire cruise aboard the Norwegian Star in June 2005.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruiselvr100

These photos should prepare you for an outstanding cruise to Alaska.

p.s. The cheapest excursion I recommend is in Juneau, just walk to the Mt. Robert's tram and take a ride to the top of the mountain. I believe a round trip fare was around $15 or so per person. Once at the top, you can see for miles on a clear day, shop for Native Indian crafts, walk a great trail, and see Eagles up close and personal at the bird santuary. You'll not find a better or cheaper way to spend a day in Juneau. Here's two of my photos from the top. Note, I wasn't as lucky with the weather as cruiselvr.

Then again, Juneau is surrounded by a rain forest.

Spirit_Juneau.jpg

Juneau.jpg

Yes, they can be moved together to make a queen. Just ask your room steward upon arrival.

2) How is the wine selection on board? What's the average cost of a cocktail? I know you're not supposed to bring your own alcohol... but do they really check your bag? Do they check your bag when coming back from a day stop?

I don't drink wine so I can't answer your first question, but YES, they do check all bags when you return to the ship. They usually are pretty thorough.

$10 per day per person is added to your on board account for gratuity. In addition a 15% gratuity is automatically added to all bar and spa bills.

Actually, I would select one in Juneau. I loved the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest. We saw lots of whales as well as other animals and got up close to the glacier. I also reccommend the train ride in Skagway. If on a budget for shore excursions, I would skip those in Ketchikan. Although interesting, there is more to see and do in that town near the pier than any of the others on the trip. I wish we had had more time there.

4) What are your thoughts on simply renting a car for the day while in port and adventuring on your own with a map and smile! :) Worthwhile or sketchy? !

I wouldn't waste my money on renting a car in these ports. Most everything to do in town is within walking distance of the piers. If you want to rent a car, then Juneau might be a good choice and drive to the Mendenhall Glacier but that is still strectching it.

Hiya! My husband and I just booked a Norwegian Sun Cruise to Alaska for mid-June. I have a few random questions I was hoping you could help with!

4) What are your thoughts on simply renting a car for the day while in port and adventuring on your own with a map and smile! :) Worthwhile or sketchy?

Thank for your help! I really appreciate it!

without reading the other responses I will give you my opinion, for what it is worth.

1-beds can be made into a queen sized. If it isn't already done when you get to your cabin, just tell your room steward, he/she will have it ready when night,night time comes.

2-the wine selection is very good, but also expensive. Average bottle of wine is probably about $28.00. They start at $20.00 and go up from there. Drinks will run from $5.50 to about $8.00. You are going to hear $9.00 and $10.00 but those are for either the special drinks with the glasses you save or expensive brands like martinis with gray goose, etc. A glass of wine will be anywhere from about $6.00 to $9.00. An automatic tip of 15% will be added to your bar bill. You need not tip above that. Will they check your luggage? Probably. I would guess about 50% of the liqour brought on get past the screeners. If you are willing to report to the luggage room at a given time if you are caught and are willing to have them keep the booze until the night before the cruise is over than it's up to you. You can order a liter bar set up to be in your cabin at embarkation. It will cost about $40 but is worth it if you are a moderately heavy drinker.

3-$10 per day will be added to your room account for tips. It's up to you if you feel like tipping special people above and beyond. It isn't expected but many of us do tip a little extra for those who have given us great service.

4-our all time favorite tour was in Skagway. It is a small company that has a van that will be waiting to take you to town. While on the van you will learn they also do tours. I think we paid about $30 per person (probably $50 now) but they took us into the Yukon terrritory, we went all over the Skagway area, learned the history of the little town (true or not, it certainly was a wonderful trip back in time) we visited and stopped at several places and were far above where the train goes: Everyone talks about the train trip; for the price I would go local anyday.

Have a great trip. NMNita

NMNita!

:D As all the conductors aboard the train will say, and they do repeately,

"They always stop the buses and vans so the passengers can take a photo of the train, but we will never stop the train so you can take a photo of a bus.":D

They have a point!;)

While they bring up steam on the steam engine almost every day, they only use the steam engine to pull passengers on Sunday. Too bad NCL doesn't stop in Skagway on Sunday.:(

We rented a car in Skagway and drove to the Yukon territory. We went as far as Emerald Lake. We stopped at Carcross on the way back. Cute little town (don't blink or you might miss it) with great ice cream. Pack a lunch and have a picnic. This was some of the best scenery on the whole trip. We saw a black bear along the way. Also had time to visit the Gold Rush Musem in Skagway (I think it may have been free) and do the Skagway Trolley tour.

You didn't ask about excursions in Juneau, but I'm giving you my opinion anyway. Since you're on the Sun, I highly recommend the Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier expedition. This one has to be booked through NCL, as you actually board a catamaran in Juneau and sail through Tracy Arm on your way to the twin Sawyer Glaciers. You leave Juneau about an hour prior to the Sun, which then makes her way to the same location.

We saw whales on this excursion, and were glad we hadn't booked a separate "whale watching" excursion. We saw both North and South Sawyer glaciers -- the passengers who stayed on the Sun only got within viewing distance of South Sawyer, as there was too much ice for the larger cruise ship to get to North Sawyer glacier.

In addition, there were literally hundreds of seals on the ice in front of the glaciers. This was our "splurge" excursion for the trip, but we were very glad we'd done it. After your viewing time is over, the catamaran pulls back up next to the Sun, and acts as a tender to get you back on the ship.

We did an independent tour of both Saxman Village and Totem Bight in Ketchikan. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake -- marvelous scenery along the way.

We fell in love with Alaska, and are hoping to be able to do a return cruise next summer. Have a wonderful time!

Just one item to add to what's been said above: beds can be put together, but there may not be a pad to "bridge the gap" between the two, based on our recent experience on the Sun.

That's odd - when my husband and I were on the Sun in 2004, there was a pad "bridging the gap". Did you ask you steward for one?

I agree with Electricron that in Juneau, a great thing to do is take the Mt Roberts Tram. I believe it is $22 round trip, and if you want, you can ride the tram up and down several times in that day.

There is a great view from up there, and a birds eye view down to the ships. I took a picture of the ship we were on that trip (NCL Star) and it is one of my favorite views of the Star.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

I agree with Electricron that in Juneau, a great thing to do is take the Mt Roberts Tram. I believe it is $22 round trip, and if you want, you can ride the tram up and down several times in that day.

There is a great view from up there, and a birds eye view down to the ships. I took a picture of the ship we were on that trip (NCL Star) and it is one of my favorite views of the Star.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

There's also a trail to hike that gives you a terrific view. I also HIGHLY recommend the Glacier Gardens tour. Upside down trees! It's not too expensive and you get a great tour. Not much walking.

Lots of good ideas and suggestions from a lot of prior Alaska cruisers on the Alaska port of call board.

I was there last year [May/June]. We thoroughly enjoyed our independently booked tour in Ketchikan of Totem Bight and Saxman Village. In Juneau, we took an amazing whale watching tour followed by a helicopter glacier flight/trek, both booked independently. And in Skagway we took the White Pass Railroad and later the tour to Liarsville. We enjoyed all of it tremendously. If you are saying that you can only do one tour overall, I would suggest the whale watching tour in Juneau, and then go to the Mt. Roberts tram on your own as others have suggested. also you can take a bus to Mendenhall Glacier for about $5 there. You can really walk to Saxman village in Ketchikan and see the totem poles there. Walking about the town in Skagway is interesting too.

Archived