Booze...You can't bring it on; you can't pre-order it

lwnbwlr

When we boarded we checked a soft cooler with small individual bottles of wine...several cans of beer...and some waters....In my luggage i put vodka in a sport type plastic bottle with a cover..and also a plastic bottle of tonic water....NO PROBLEMS...later in the cruise...we ordered the other stuff from room service....

I called Princess today to order a liter of vodka for my upcoming 14 day Sea Princess cruise. The individual I talked to said they had changed their policy on pre-ordering booze; you can't do it anymore. He gave neither rhyme nor reason. When I expressed my displeasure about Princess making my voyage as inconvenient as possible he said he'd note the record.

This apparently prefer that you buy it by the drink in the ship's bars. I believe (am not positive), that you can still order it from room service. Princess (read Carnival) makes Midas seem like a spend thrift and I sure hope the "golden goose" doesn't meander past the galley.

When I cruise I want convenience. The first day is hassle enough without them placing more roadblocks in our path in order to make an extra buck.

Have they gone too far?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I have always bought bottles of liquor at the bars on board at very reasonable prices. Better than lugging it on board

• 2 years later...

There is no new policy, you can pre order everything you could before. The bottles are 375 ml which is half size bottles (the same ones that have been available for years).

There is also a wide variety of other items you can pre order.

I talked to an executive from Princess and she said that nothing has changed, she also said that they often do special requests that are not listed on preorder list.

Can not quite figure out exactly what the OP asked for to get a NO answer. Perhaps he/she were trying to pre-buy full size bottles. This is the link to Princess Cellars where there is a variety of liquors that can be ordered. Most are either 375ml or 350ml bottles. If you pre-order off this site it may be waiting in your stateroom upon arrival. If not a simple call to room service will solve that.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/services/gifts/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Can not quite figure out exactly what the OP asked for to get a NO answer. Perhaps he/she were trying to pre-buy full size bottles. This is the link to Princess Cellars where there is a variety of liquors that can be ordered. Most are either 375ml or 350ml bottles. If you pre-order off this site it may be waiting in your stateroom upon arrival. If not a simple call to room service will solve that.

Well this thread is over two and a half years old and 2006 was when Princess stopped selling the 1 Liter bottles through room service and I think the OP must have just discovered that fact.:D

How do people dig up these threads when I have trouble locating one from last week?;)

Mike:)

We're pretty experienced cruisers, but not big drinkers... however we will be cruising with my parents and they would be interested in purchasing a bottle of bourbon for drinking in their cabin. Am I reading this correctly that they could purchase a bottle from a bar? Do they just go to a bar and ask or is there some other procedure? Thanks!

Am I reading this correctly that they could purchase a bottle from a bar? Do they just go to a bar and ask or is there some other procedure? Thanks!

This used to be possible, but now it all has to either be pre-ordered, or ordered from room service. When you could buy liters, you could purchase them from a few of the bars onboard. But now they have cut back to smaller 350ML-375ML sizes.

There will be a list in the stateroom to order from room service, or you can pre-order before you go from the list here on Princess: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/services/gifts/princess_cellars/index.jsp.

We're pretty experienced cruisers, but not big drinkers... however we will be cruising with my parents and they would be interested in purchasing a bottle of bourbon for drinking in their cabin. Am I reading this correctly that they could purchase a bottle from a bar? Do they just go to a bar and ask or is there some other procedure? Thanks!

Hi - here's a link, there are 3 bourbons to chose from. They can call or you could call and order it for them as a gift. Or they can just order one from room service when they board.

Well this thread is over two and a half years old and 2006 was when Princess stopped selling the 1 Liter bottles through room service and I think the OP must have just discovered that fact.:D

How do people dig up these threads when I have trouble locating one from last week?;)

Good grief!!! I hadn't even noticed the original posting date. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing it out Mike.

Good grief!!! I hadn't even noticed the original posting date. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing it out Mike.

:DI was afraid of that because of your response.

No problem, as I haven't gotten over Princess' decision to quit selling hooch in the one Liter bottles myself. It makes absolutely no sense to me.:confused:

Does the pre-order liquor list on Princess' website have the same selection and pricing as the room service menu? What is the difference between pre-ordering and ordering room service when you get on the ship?

Thanks!

Does the pre-order liquor list on Princess' website have the same selection and pricing as the room service menu? What is the difference between pre-ordering and ordering room service when you get on the ship?

Thanks!

Someone will correct me on this one, but I'm not sure if you have to pay the 15% gratuity if you order it before hand. I just like to get it out of the way and paid for before the cruise.

Thanks!

No difference at all. Same selection, same price whether you pre-order or order from room service. Only difference is that if you pre-order, you pay when ordering with a credit card. When ordering onboard, it goes on your shipboard account.

Here is my advice re bringing on a few bottles of wine and a couple of six packs of beer at Ports. I always enquire nicely with the Ships Security Staff at gangway if it is ok for me to bring back say a couple of bottles of wine and a couple of six packs of beer? Never been denied.

Just be reasonable.;)

That's good to know. I was just quoting what I read last week, someone said they phoned and were told no.

They were told no you can't preorder it on the booking. You can order it to be delivered to the stateroom once onboard, two different things. Of course you can't preorder it, it is subject to ship's INVENTORY>>>>people in the office can't promise you they have it onboard....you might need to order a different brand. That is the reason . Order it onboard no problem .

They were told no you can't preorder it on the booking. You can order it to be delivered to the stateroom once onboard, two different things. Of course you can't preorder it, it is subject to ship's INVENTORY>>>>people in the office can't promise you they have it onboard....you might need to order a different brand. That is the reason . Order it onboard no problem .

Whoever they're talking to is full of crap...even their order form which is on line has the phone number and the fax number to pre-order. Before our Greek Island cruise in September I ordered about a month before the Vodka, Gin, Irish Cream, Beer Package and the Soda package. Have them phone back and talk to someone who knows what they're talking about. It's not like their selection is that extensive, how fricken hard is it to carry two types of vodka. They must have been dealing with a rookie.

if you would like to preorder as a giftto the stateroom, then there will be a card in the stateroom redeembable for the gift, it will not be in the stateroom when you arrive. This is a liabilitiy issue someone correct me if i am wrong.

The provide cards so you can call for it when you want it, or in the case of the soda and the beer you can select which brands you want. We had the cards in our stateroom and within 10 minutes of our call the packages where delivered.

Archived