Yikes - Change in itinerary.

My girlfriend and I are booked on a five day western carribean cruise at the end of august. We are first time cruisers and are going as part of a conference group (http://randi.org/amazingmeeting/cruise/cruise.html)

I just found out today that RCL has changed the itinerary. Instead of Ft.Lauderdale - Key West - Cozumel - Belize City - Ft. Lauderdale, they are substituting Cococay for Belize City.

We were really looking forward to Belize City and the excusrions (zip lines and cave tubing), and it seems like Cococay is not much other than a beach with overpriced equipment rentals and overpriced drinks.

Can some of you more experienced folks let me know just how bad this is?

We would just change the date of the sailing but then we would miss the conference.

I believe that we are still in the refundable period for the cruise, but on the other hand it seems silly that 12 hours or so out of a five daycruise should make that much of a difference to us.

You are right when you say that you shouldn't let this change affect your cruise. We went on a river cruise in Belize. Absolutley the most uncomfortable excursion (hot) we ever did. It is ungodly hot there in the Summer. You are way better off on Cococay where you can stay in the water. Also, don't base your entire opinion of cruising on a 5-day cruise. For some reason, these are not usually the best cruises. Cruise lines often use their older ships on short cruises. Not that they are bad ships (some people prefer the older smaller (70,000 GRT) ships over the new ones. Just keep a positive attitude and you will have a good time. Remember most of the people in the world will never have the opportuinity to go on a cruise like this.

My girlfriend and I are booked on a five day western carribean cruise at the end of august. We are first time cruisers and are going as part of a conference group (http://randi.org/amazingmeeting/cruise/cruise.html)

I just found out today that RCL has changed the itinerary. Instead of Ft.Lauderdale - Key West - Cozumel - Belize City - Ft. Lauderdale, they are substituting Cococay for Belize City.

We were really looking forward to Belize City and the excusrions (zip lines and cave tubing), and it seems like Cococay is not much other than a beach with overpriced equipment rentals and overpriced drinks.

Can some of you more experienced folks let me know just how bad this is?

We would just change the date of the sailing but then we would miss the conference.

I believe that we are still in the refundable period for the cruise, but on the other hand it seems silly that 12 hours or so out of a five daycruise should make that much of a difference to us.

Well, first of all, sorry that you had your heart set on Belize City as a part of your cruise. I do disagree on your statement that CocoCay will have over priced equipment rentals and over priced drinks. Since you are a first time cruiser, how would you know. I don't know about equipment rentals, but I do know what drinks cost. RCL doesn't charge any more for their drinks than any decent restaurant charges. Just don't buy the souvenir glass that they try to serve you in. What do you think the charges for the zip line and cave tubing are going to be? Not inexpensive I am sure.

If you had your heart set on the excursions then you are out of luck. But COCO CAY is so relaxing, just a beach--but no cabs or $$$$ shelled out to get there. The drinks are the same as the ship prices. YOu could change ships but there really is nothing stopping RCL from changing those ports too, even at the last minute. Count yourself lucky to get advance warning.

There is another thread on this board regarding this topic. We booked legend in novemeber solely for belize and costa maya. I will be very very disappointed if either are cancelled. Since you are going to a conference and in a group, the ports do not seem to be as important in your case, as you will be with others and at the conference. I heard the ziplining is very fun, and it is not expensive as one poster suggested.. (about same price as to rent a jet ski or a kayak in cococay) Cocacay is alright, but I personally prefer a port where you can go into the town and explore things.

Well, first of all, sorry that you had your heart set on Belize City as a part of your cruise. I do disagree on your statement that CocoCay will have over priced equipment rentals and over priced drinks. Since you are a first time cruiser, how would you know.

You are correct - I don't know. What I do know is that RCL owns the island and have a captive audience. So there is no competition for equipment rentals. My understanding is that as a general rule, excursions booked via the cruise line are more expensive than those booked independently - I can't see why this would be different, other than the complete lack of competition removes any downward pressure on prices.

I don't know about equipment rentals, but I do know what drinks cost. RCL doesn't charge any more for their drinks than any decent restaurant charges.

I guess my point would be that I don't always order my drinks at decent restaurants. If we even went to a different location that actually had competitive options (e.g. Nassau instead of the private island), I imagine there would be less expensive places to drink and more variety and local flavor. I expect that I can get the same drink for the same price onboard - it make the destination much less exciting.

What do you think the charges for the zip line and cave tubing are going to be? Not inexpensive I am sure.

You are correct again - I know this as I had prepaid for that excusrion. On the other hand, I expect in 30 or 40 years I would still remember the adventure of zip lining through the rain forest and tubing through the cave system. I doubt renting a jet-ski for a couple of hours will give me such a lasting memory. And if I am wrong, there are lots of convenient places that I get to where I will get the opportunity to rent a jet ski, go parasailing, or rent a mat so I can float in the water.

I wonder why,all of a sudden CocoCay is being substitited on itineraries...........the Enchantment(instead of Belize).the Mariner(instead of Nassau) and there may be more....i dont know.......

I like CocoCay,but dont know why they are changing things around:confused: .......

I wonder why,all of a sudden CocoCay is being substitited on itineraries...........the Enchantment(instead of Belize).the Mariner(instead of Nassau) and there may be more....i dont know.......

I like CocoCay,but dont know why they are changing things around:confused: .......

Well, as Pink Floyd said, Money, Money, Money. More $$ in RC's pocket.

Gosh, I'm not too cynical am I? :rolleyes:

Maybe they thought people going on an "Escape from the Bermuda Triangle" cruise would enjoy spending a day IN the Bermuda Triangle.

Also, I'm surprised with all the psychics undoubtedly on the cruise, you weren't told about it long before it was announced - or decided even. ;)

Also, I'm surprised with all the psychics undoubtedly on the cruise, you weren't told about it long before it was announced - or decided even. ;)

You should have read closer - it is actually a skeptic's group. I sincerely doubt any of our group would claim that they were psychic, although a few probably have the skills to play one on TV. :)

Be Happy You Are Not Going To Belize City . We Were There Last December And I Never Want To Go There Again . In Fact , I Would Not Even Book A Cruise That Was Going There . That Was The Biggest Disappointments We Had On Our Cruise .

We Thought It Would Be A Great Port . Wrong !!!! There Were Beggars And Drunks All In The Streets . There Were Children Running Around Trying To Get Money From People . Women On The Streets That Looked So Poor And Thin . We Took A Tour Of The City And It Was So Sad . I Couldn't Wait To Get Back To The Ship . It Was The Dirtiest Place I Have Been . They Have A High Fence To Keep The People From Going In Where The Ships Are Docked And The People Were Lined Up Hanging On The Fence Waiting For Us To Come Out So They Could Try To Get Money Or Sell You Drugs . Be Glad You Are Not Going . It's Not A Loss To Skip That Stop . I'm Sure These Are Some Of The Reason Belize City Will Be Dropped From The Itinerary .

You should have read closer - it is actually a skeptic's group. I sincerely doubt any of our group would claim that they were psychic, although a few probably have the skills to play one on TV. :)
Well, there you go, no psychics on board no one foretold it - proof positive that psychics are legit. :D

Be Happy You Are Not Going To Belize City . We Were There Last December And I Never Want To Go There Again . In Fact , I Would Not Even Book A Cruise That Was Going There . That Was The Biggest Disappointments We Had On Our Cruise .

We Thought It Would Be A Great Port . Wrong !!!! There Were Beggars And Drunks All In The Streets . There Were Children Running Around Trying To Get Money From People . Women On The Streets That Looked So Poor And Thin . We Took A Tour Of The City And It Was So Sad . I Couldn't Wait To Get Back To The Ship . It Was The Dirtiest Place I Have Been . They Have A High Fence To Keep The People From Going In Where The Ships Are Docked And The People Were Lined Up Hanging On The Fence Waiting For Us To Come Out So They Could Try To Get Money Or Sell You Drugs . Be Glad You Are Not Going . It's Not A Loss To Skip That Stop . I'm Sure These Are Some Of The Reason Belize City Will Be Dropped From The Itinerary .

Wow! Sounds like you had a very bad experience. I had quite the opposite experience just earlier this month. I would certainly book a cruise because it WAS going to Belize. I probrably ventured further away from the city then you did (I'm guessing). Beautiful country, if you get aweay from the city. Then again, I took a recommended excursion and avoided all of the things you saw. Not that I don't believe you because I have witnessed the same in OTHER ports (ever been to Haiti?). I guess that's why "You live, you learn" holds so much truth. I, on the other hand, would recommend Belize to anyone who wanted to try a Western Caribbean cruise.

I never book a cruise for the ports, if I did, I wouldn't be doing the caribbean again for the umpteenth time. I enjoy the ship and the amenities.

Don't get me wrong, there are some ports I enjoy more than others, like I love St. Maartin and Aruba. Grand Cayman is beautiful, but crowded.

My favorite port of all is Bermuda, but I don't plan on cruising there for a long time. The Atlantic is brutal in the fall and don't want to cruise with a million kids in the summer. Besides my cruises these days are all 13 days or more.

I Totally Agree With You Hurricane Sally . I Book My Cruise Mostly For Being On The Ship And Enjoying All It Has To Offer . If I Don't Care For The Port We Are Docked In , I Just Stay On The Ship And Book A Spa Appointment . There Are Discounts For Port Days Anyway .

Fury 1995 , We Took The City Tour Of Belize . We Purchased The Excursion On The Ship . We Went All Over The City . The Whole City Looked The Same . Very Poor And Very Dirty . I Guess There Are Other Places Away From The City That May Be Beautiful But We Did Not Go Out Of The City . Not Sure How Far From The City You Had To Go To Get Away From What We Saw To Enjoy It . Everyone We Talked To On Our Ship Was Very Disappointed In Belize . We Really Thought It Was Going To Be One Of Our Best Ports .

Like I Said , If You Like The Ship , Then Don't Worry About The Ports . You Can Aways Stay On The Ship If There Is Just One Port That Doesn't Appeal To You Or Your Party . I Think You Have To Consider The Ports Though Because You Are Paying Port Charges For Each Port When You Purchase You Cruise Ticket .

YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THE CDC WEBSITE ON THE IMMUNIZATIONS NEEDED FOR BELIZE AND THE DRINKING WATER IS CONSIDER CONTAMINATED ALSO . WE WERE ALSO ADVISED TO HAVE THE INSECT SPRAY CONTAINING DEET FOR THE MOSQUITOES BECAUSE THEY CARRY MALARIA .

Archived