Vancouver Hotels - Not kid friendly?

I haven't seen anything in these postings on this so I would like to get some opinions or see if anyone has run into this. My in-laws are planning a two day stay with my family - post cruise - in Vancouver. DW and I have 2 young children (8, 11). Their travel agent said that many hotels in Vancouver do not make it easy for children by having few rooms with multiple beds, not having cots available, etc. Has anyone heard of this? The TA recommended the Rennaisance in Downtown as the most kid friendly. We are going the first week in August of 2006.

Welcome any opinions. I find it hard to believe that Vancouver is unfriendly in any way.

What is your TA smoking to say the hotels in Vancouver are not kid friendly???

All that I know of welcome families and have cots - 2 beds in a room etc. depending on the type of room you reserve.

The Westin chain are particularly kid friendly (Bayshore or Westin Grand - but I like the location of the Bayshore best) and even have a speical check in package for kids that comes with a cup for beverage good for free fills any time at most of the hotels restaurants plus other little goodies. The goodie bags contents vary depending on the age of the child. How do I know I have stayed there with my Grandson. Yes I am a local.

What is your TA smoking to say the hotels in Vancouver are not kid friendly???

I totally agree with you. I've lived here all my life and have never heard that statement before. We certainly have many tourists with kids staying in Vancouver all summer long!

I agree with you the Westin Bayshore is a great choice. Another bonus in Westin's favour, in my opinion, is that they are all totally non-smoking.

Dave

We stayed at the Westin Bayshore in 2003 with our 2 kids, and enjoyed it very much. Our room had 2 queen beds, and we requested a rollaway for one of the kids. The hotel was a short walk from Stanley Park. We'll probably return there next summer after our Alaska cruise ends in Vancouver. :)

Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Our TA is really not "my TA". My inlaws are planning this trip and so my information is from them. They told me the TA said that while many of the hotels don't have "no children" policies they nonetheless make it difficult for families. Now.....it could be that the TA wants us to stay at a particular hotel. I'm not really sure exactly where she gets her information. I'm just glad I have a forum like this to share these types of rumors so I can validate or dispell them.

Thanks to everyone..:D :D :D :D

By the way - we are booked for the Rennaisance, not sure of the rate but it was pretty pricey 175 or so a night.

Does anyone have any comments on Best Western Sands by the sea? We are booked there for 3 nights with 4 adults and 4 kids in 2 rooms.

We have stayed at Best Western Sands before and are staying again in 3 weeks after our repo cruise. We chose it for the location - 1 block to english bay and everything we want to do. The bike rental place is 3 blocks from the hotel and we will be renting bikes to bike around Stanley Park. 15 minute walk to the water taxi to take us over to Granville Island.

The Sands is a decent hotel (not a luxury hotel but not a dump either). It's a good location for restaurants and people watching and outdoor stuff. A few blocks away has an active restaurant/bar scene without feeling like a party atmosphere (we walked one evening around 10pm and had a martini at an outdoor bar then walked back to the hotel. Didnt feel unsafe at all. We didnt need/use any of the hotel amenities other than the room itself to sleep and shower, we were too busy running around. They do have a restaurant onsite that does have live music or karoake on some nights (at least they did 2 years ago). We will be staying there again at the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived