Motorcoach from Montreal to Boston?

cjc2

Has anyone taken this bus back to Boston after ending a cruise in Montreal? If so I would like to know the time it left Montreal and about how long it took to return to Boston.

I second Naptown, we got on Amtrak in Albany, NY about 11 am and watched the beautiful scenery roll by and at 6 pm we were in Montreal.

Don't know the train schedule in reverse but it's worth checking out.

I, too, am interested in knowing this information, as we're booked on a New England cruise from Boston to Montreal. Our flight out of Boston leaves 6:55pm. I figured this would give us plenty of time to get back from Montreal. Also, how much is the motorcoach, and is it considered a sightseeing trip, or just strictly transportation to get people back to Boston.

Thanks for any info!!

I just checked Amtrak, and it looks like from Montreal to Albany alone, it's at least 7 hours. I didn't bother looking at Albany to Boston.

Ugh....I love trains, but Montreal is not that far from Albany. Pity we do not have Train Grande Vitesse service here in North America. :(

There were speed restrictions along the route, then some stops to pick up & drop off , then we reached the border and Immigration came onboard.

Amtrak allows a good amount of time for this as they have to check the whole train - and it could be long if there are any 'questionable' people or documents.

The route follows Lake Champlain and is stupendous but if you are in a hurry , Flying is probably the best option . We had the time and loved it.

I guess I needed to be more specific in my original post. Holland offers bus service between Boston and Montreal since it is a one-way cruise. I have been told the trip lasts about 6 hrs. and the cost is $99. I know it leaves Boston at 6am to go to Montreal. However I will be on a cruise that ends in Montreal so I am interested in knowing the time it would leave from there to return to Boston.

Probably callin HAL would giveyou the best info. Either way the 6 hours (except for border problems) for $99 sounds OK.

Yes, the train trip on that route is wonderful, we took it in later October and for us Floridians the autumn scenery was beautiful. We then took a repositioning cruise from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale (13 days). It was a great itinerary.but didn't like the Princess ship.

You might consider a one-way car rental. We are renting a car in Boston and driving to Montreal for our cruise. It's more expensive than a typical daily rental, but less expensive than the motorcoach for two people. Our Boston (well, Cambridge) to Montreal rental is about $150.00 for one day. Driving Montreal to Boston is about 5-6 hours depending on how fast you drive.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it's the "best" way to get from Boston to Montreal, but the last time I did the NE/Canada cruise there was a short flight back to Boston.

And I'm talking short! Once you got in your seat there was no getting up. Something about requirements to be in your seat for a certain length of time after take-off and before landing. On that flight those times overlapped by a fairly large margin.

We solved the problem so well last year that we are repeating it this summer.

We board in Boston; sail to Montreal; stay aboard and sail back to Boston. I know everyone cannot do that but for those who can.......it's a terrific 14 days....and no planes, trains and the only automobile is the car company that picks us up at home and delivers us to Black Falcon. Then carries us back home 2 weeks later.

We think the Maasdam's Canada/New England to be a truly outstanding cruise.

My TA checked with Holland and was told the motorcoach from Montreal would return to Boston around 5-6 PM on Oct. 7. Earlier I was told the coach from Boston to Montreal would leave at 6 AM so I assume the coach turns around and makes the return trip to Boston. To be on the safe side I booked a hotel for the night instead of trying for a late flight.

Some of you suggested renting a car but I didn't want to drive, just wanted to sit back and enjoy the scenery. Also my round trip airfare from Boston was cheaper than flying from Montreal. By reading this site I found out that Holland offers the $99 motorcoach between the 2 cities and it seemed like the perfect setup for me.

Ruth, what airline did you use to fly between Montreal and Boston? (or you may have gone in reverse) I just checked - too far out to get accurate pricing but for April 07 just to get an idea, pricing was about $190-$200 for about a 70 minute flight -- I would be willing to pay the extra $100 for a flight over paying $99 for a 6 hr+ bus ride!!! Good idea - thanks for the heads up.

Crazy thing is - it costs only about $200 for me to fly round trip Boston!!!! Maybe I should go ahead and check pricing 1 way to Montreal and 1 way back home from Boston.

This is the only thing I dislike about planning vacations - the minute details --- then the rest is a blast!!!

Now Sail, YOU have the best idea of all! ;) But I am afraid that is a bit much to spend (plus the extra time off) just to get back to Boston! LOL! But I DO like your idea best!

CJC2, I agree the bus sounds easy -- do you know if it is for only those cruising on the same day as the bus transfer? I am interested in spending one night in Montreal before cruising out...... but I would still be willing to pay an extra $100 for a quicker flight vs being on a bus 1/2 day.

decisions decisions......:rolleyes:

Ruth, what airline did you use to fly between Montreal and Boston?

Sorry, I'm certain I couldn't guess right even if there were a free cruise in for me. In the penthouse.

As a matter of fact, I couldn't get it right when I was taking the flight! There were two different airlines---one for Boston to NYC, and a different one for Montreal-Boston. When I checked in for the Boston-NYC portion I went to the wrong airline. Stood in a long line for a little over an hour before the check-in person figured it out! :o

:eek: BOOONGGGGGG!!!!! Wrong answer - you lost one year's free use of the The Penthouse!!!!

You are too funny - thank goodness you did not miss your flight!!!! Bless your heart....... well, I just noticed there are a lot of airlines that fly Boston to Montreal - so I was just curious if someone suggests one over the other - when it comes time I will just chose the least expensive -- as adding on this flight is still cheaper than a one way to Montreal and a one way to Boston - or 2 round trip tickets and just ignoring 1/2 of it....... seems I've tried to cover all bases here in checking it out.

We will fly roundtrip to Boston and I wanted to spend one night in Montreal and probably just take a city tour and walk around before the cruise.....

Guess we should do that in Boston before we go to Montreal - take a tour and walk around the day before we fly on to Montreal. After the cruise I will be ready to just come on home rather than fool with spending the night and unpacking again -- yuk.

But, thank you, Ruth for the suggestion of flying _ it sounds like it will work - IF I get in the correct line!:p

Archived