Live From QM2 - April 15 and April 23 Transatlantic

Paul NH

My wife and I went up to the Commodore Club by ourselves for pre-dinner cocktails the final night. We had a seat right in front, by the windows and had a very nice, relaxing conversation for 30 to 45 minutes or so, with a great view of the ocean and sunset (you have to position your chair just so, to avoid getting the sun directly in your eyes). Unfortunately, another couple came along and asked if they could have the other two seats around our table. This would typically not be a problem, since my wife and I are social people and everyone we have met on board is usually so nice, and interesting. Well, these two people, the wife especially, were wet rags. I soon decided they were being snobs and at one point I actually cut myself off mid-sentence when saying something to the woman because of the way she was behaving, looked at my wife and rolled my eyes. We were done anyway, and got up and left. Yech!

Dinner was very good in Britannia and our windowside view of the ocean just before sunset was really something. I could not keep my eyes off it during dinner conversation. We had to go pack after dinner, which always takes longer than you think. By then, we were all pretty tired and went to bed early.

I woke up about 4:50 a.m. and was up on deck just before 5 a.m. My wife and kids slept in until a little before 6. Unfortunately, I did not dress warmly, and I was freezing up on deck with just a blazer for outer wear. There were hundreds of people up on deck. I had already missed the Verazanno Bridge, which I believe passed over us around 4 a.m. We reached the Statue of Liberty about 5:10 a.m. I guess it was around 5:20 or so when the captain began to maneuver the ship around for backing into the pier. This went very slowly and we touched the dock bumpers precisely at 6 a.m. Engines off.

We dined in Britannia and by chance got our dinner waiter. We had a very good breakfast there, but did not get out of the dining room until a little after 7 a.m. which had us nervous at first because we were self-disembarking and they said that may begin as early as 7. Well, it turned out that they did not call us until 7:30 so all was well anyway.

We had a little bit of trouble getting down to disembark, because we were on Deck 4 and everytime an elevator came down to our deck, it was already packed with people and suitcases. This went on for about 10 to 15 minutes and we finally gave up and dragged our luggage down Stairway B to the next deck below. We queued up in the main corridor on Deck 3 at about 7:45 and it took about 10 minutes to move forward in the line and to get through the gangway.

Down the gangplanks, down an escalator, all with our luggage, and then to the customs and immigration queue. There was a shorter line for Americans, and we were through the whole process in about 15 minutes or so. We all went to the restrooms in the embarking terminal next door, said our good byes to my father and his companion, and we were driving out of the terminal parking lot by 8:20 a.m. Our parking for two weeks was complimentary. That was nice! I do not know if that was just a maiden departure special, or whether that will last for a while. But it was a welcomed surprise, especially when we had to deal with the shock of our on board account balance.

The only confusion we had was the entrance signs for the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (known in NY as the "BQE") I thought we wanted 278 north, but there was only one sign for 278 east. We ended up passing the first entrance to the BQE because we did not see a 278 west. It was sort of confusing trying to figure out which way was where I wanted to go, but we drove around and took a chance on 278 east and it ended up being the right way. If someone wanted to go south, to go over the Verazanno Bridge to New Jersey, I do not know where they would have gone from the terminal. Anyway, we had no further trouble and were home, safe and sound, by 12:30 p.m. The QM2 is such a different world from our reality, that we were sort of in a limbo state all yesterday afternoon - not very productive - while reaclimating to real life.

There were a number of ship sounds that I found myself thinking about later on. One, is the sound that all the ship clocks make in the stairwells. It is unique, sort of like a clinky/clunk. Next time you are on board, take note. And then there is the three-tone lead-in to the ship board announcements. Another interesting sound was noticed when we were in the in-hull balcony staterooms. If you sit out in the balcony and listen, there is a harmonic low-toned ringing sound that passes along the hull. It is not annoying, and it is not soothing. It seems to be the ship's way of talking. I do not know if you can only hear this in the 5153 general area, or whether it travels all along the hull. I did not hear it in our outside (window) cabin 4002. It is not to be confused with workers banging or scrubbing up on deck. This is something different. It may have been created by the wind traveling through all the balcony openings, and passing along a harmonic tone onto the hull itself. And the last sound I took note of, was the sound of the surf that could always be heard splashing along the base of the hull at the waterline. Those of you who have traveled on the QM2 may not have noticed the first three, but I am sure if you think about that last sound, you can hear it in your memory.

Well, there you go. There is one person's April transatlantic experience. I will leave you with this image that I took on the evening of April 15, on our first night out, from our hull balcony. It shows the last glimpse of land as we set sail for 6 days across the Atlantic. No ports, no tenders, no lines. Just the ocean and the sound of the surf along the waterline of the QM2.

Paul

[quote name='Paul NH']Does anyone know who these people are? They accompanied us for quite a ways after our departure from the Brooklyn Pier, and were waving enthusiastically to us.[/quote]
These are members of the Steamship Historical Society of America Long Island Chapter.

The boat is the historic [url=http://www.fireboat.org]JOHN J. HARVEY[/url]. She is no longer used as a fireboat (though her services were volunteered, and used, on 9/11) but exists now purely as a piece of living history.

I would actually have gone last Saturday but my invitation got lost in the mail :( !

[quote name='Host Doug']
I would actually have gone last Saturday but my invitation got lost in the mail :( ![/QUOTE]Thanks. If you had gone, you would also have gotten very wet, from the looks of it. Have you spoken with anyone who was on board?

By the way, do they do that for special occasions, or for every QM2 sailing?

PaulNH,

I would love those last two shots you posted for our photo album. Anyway I may access them? As I mentioned on another thread, to hear the live music of "New York, New York" on deck and see the spray of red white and blue from these fabulous vessels; it was just such a magical moment.

So happy you shared those with us.

Thanks, yet once again!

Dr. Mazorol and "LadyMacWilly"

[quote name='Paul NH']Thanks. If you had gone, you would also have gotten very wet, from the looks of it.[/quote]
It is possible to avoid getting wet (if you don't want to) by knowing where the right place is to stand :) .

[quote name='Paul NH']Have you spoken with anyone who was on board?[/quote]
Yes, it does sound like it was a lot of fun and I was sorry to miss it.

[quote name='Paul NH']By the way, do they do that for special occasions, or for every QM2 sailing?[/quote]
Well, the official SSHSA group is only for special occasions, but they go out pretty much whenever the volunteer captain and crew feel like it! So there is a chance that any ship arriving or departing from New York might have a fireboat solute from the HARVEY on any given day. Of course on those days, you will not see a big crowd on deck but the effect is still very dramatic.

Incidentally it looks like there were other fireboats there too, those being "real" NYC fireboats welcoming QM2 in their official capacity. That is [i]definitely[/i] only done on special occasions as it is at taxpayer expense! HARVEY of course has no "official capacity" any more but can be counted upon to turn out on special events, and as I said, sometimes on other days as well. Back when HARVEY was an actual operating fireboat, she welcomed many of the most famous liners like NORMANDIE and QUEEN MARY. She welcomed QM2 on her maiden call, too, but in an "unofficial" capacity.

All in all, a great boat and a great group of people and I certainly recommend that everyone have a look at their wonderful [url=http://www.fireboat.org]web site[/url] which has lots more information on the boat, the people etc.

Hey Paul,

Welcome back and thanks for all your comments. Makes me very happy I chose the QM2.

I believe you said you were staying on the Isle of Wight between your transatlantics. If you did, would you suggest taking a car over there for the day? It seems that it's a good sized island and we wanted to see it. Do you know if ferry reservations need to be made in advance. We will be in UK in August and I understand it's pretty busy (probably like the Cape, I imagine).

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Sue

Hey Paul,

Welcome back and thanks for all your comments. Makes me very happy I chose the QM2.

I believe you said you were staying on the Isle of Wight between your transatlantics. If you did, would you suggest taking a car over there for the day? It seems that it's a good sized island and we wanted to see it. Do you know if ferry reservations need to be made in advance. We will be in UK in August and I understand it's pretty busy (probably like the Cape, I imagine).

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Sue

Hello Sue,

We stayed in Cowes and did not bring a car over. However, my father and his companion took the local bus all around the island on one of the days. It goes just about everywhere on the island. There is a car ferry service, separate from the foot-passenger ferry. It is more expensive and takes about twice as long (an hour) to get over to the island. I believe the ferry works on a first-come, first serve basis, no reservations, but they have a website you can google where you probably can confirm. We enjoyed our brief stay on the island and I am sure you will too.

Paul

PaulNH,

I would love those last two shots you posted for our photo album. Anyway I may access them? As I mentioned on another thread, to hear the live music of "New York, New York" on deck and see the spray of red white and blue from these fabulous vessels; it was just such a magical moment.

So happy you shared those with us.

Thanks, yet once again!

Dr. Mazorol and "LadyMacWilly"

"LadyMacWilly,"

Send me your email to paul@gwi.net and I will send them to you. Hope you are all settled into reality.

Paul

PaulNH:

I'm relatively new to this forum since we'll be taking our first trip aboard QM2 on the July crossing. Is there a way to download photos from the flash card in a digital camera while on the ship? I'm planning to start a blog for my family and post from the ship and it would be great if I could include a photo or two each day.

Your postings were beautiful - they made me realize the value of writing - and reading - as one is "in the moment".

Curvy stemmed Martini Glass? ... I do hope they sort that out....I had a curvy stemmed glass on the Golden Grossness....I do hope they haven't picked it up from that!
Here is a picture of the glasses. After 3+ martinis at the mixology class, I photographed some of them on the table in the Commodore Club. Do these look like the ones from the ship you mention?

Paul

Curvymartini.jpg.32affb0c9e2ec34423ca5df3555cef9f.jpg

Here is a picture of the glasses. After 3+ martinis at the mixology class, I photographed some of them on the table in the Commodore Club. Do these look like the ones from the ship you mention?

Paul

Yes - mine were empty too!;)

Peter

Could you please tell me how you have found the Air Conditioning onboard your current trip? Is there a difference with the A/C in the various parts of the ship that you may have found? Can you add any additional information pertaining to the climate-temperature onboard.Reason for this question is, we have found especially on Caribbean cruises a major diffference from on deck and inside. Also within the difference parts and rooms of the ship.

Ed and Bev,

I sort of answered this on an earlier post, but here is a little more detail. I found the ship in general to be on the warm side. My father's companion, a 79 year old woman, thought Britannia to be very cold, and ordered hot water one night to warm herself. In the staterooms there is a thermostat that we had turned all the way down. On a couple of nights my wife and I both thought the cabin was still a little too warm - again, with the control set to the coldest level. My father and his companion had theirs set toward the top in their stateroom. Many parts of the ship seemed just right, where I never thought either way about the temperature. I suppose in the end, there is always going to be some degree of personal preference toward what the ideal temperature is, but overall I thought it was fine. Just bring a sweater if you think it is too cool, and if you are wearing a gown at night, bring a shawl.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Silly question, but while you're on board, could you confirm whether there's a book exchange in the library (or elsewhere)? I have some great books that I'd happily bring along to leave for others, but wouldn't want to pack them if it's not up and running ...
Tategnin,

Sorry for the delayed answer. Because of the rates on board I would usually focus on posting, and did a minimal amount of reading then.

I did not ask about a book exchange, but did not notice one there at all. I do not think they have one. You *can* donate books. I just donated one to the library this past trip. So if you have books that you think would be of interest, definitely bring them along and donate them. But I would not expect to get something in exchange.

Paul

Paul,

I thought of this post (which I read this morning, actually) I had to come home and read it again.Thanks, Paul. You're good for my soul!

Karie,

I hope things have improved since. Sounded like you were having one hell of a week. Just keep looking at those brochures. There is nothing like a dose of mental escapism sometimes to deal with stress.

Paul

PaulNH:

I'm relatively new to this forum since we'll be taking our first trip aboard QM2 on the July crossing. Is there a way to download photos from the flash card in a digital camera while on the ship? I'm planning to start a blog for my family and post from the ship and it would be great if I could include a photo or two each day.

Your postings were beautiful - they made me realize the value of writing - and reading - as one is "in the moment".

Texwell,

I brought along my cable with the same idea - posting pictures live from on board. But I did not see any ports for the cable, and they appear to very purposely set those computers up for limited applications. I never asked anyone who worked on board, though.

Paul

PaulNH:

Most places that have computers available for public use restrict connection or insertion of devices, cables etc. They do this to protect the computer. Of course, if you have your own notebook, you can connect at the same rate as using the ships computers.

So, to answer your question about uploading pics on the ships computers, probably not.

One year ago we saw these on the Star Princess, while on a lovely crossing & cruise, repositioning from Ft Lauderdale to Copenhagen. They were called Frank Sinatra glasses, were offered as a keepsake if purchased with the “martini of the day”. We bought them (I did, knowing it was a silly idea but figuring they were a better souvenir than the refrigerator magnets I also had my eye on), not yet knowing how we (I) would get them back to the U.S., as we were planning to cycle across Denmark, ferry to Harwich, and cycle to Southampton to board QM2 bound for home. Well, we/I/they made it, and the glasses were a fun and useful accompaniment to the Bombay Sapphire we brought on board (after all, the stems are blue). Last week we dusted them off, raised our glasses to QM2’s Red Hook departure. They actually weren’t all that dusty.

BTW, I would be interested in any opinions on Hendrick's gin, a most unique gin from Scotland.

767719816_FrankSinatraMartiniF88B4.JPG.ab4a35fe3aaac602b276ee6a17013864.JPG

One year ago we saw these on the Star Princess, while on a lovely crossing & cruise ... Last week we dusted them off, raised our glasses to QM2’s Red Hook departure. They actually weren’t all that dusty.
Well, I suppose that is further evidence of the Princessification of Cunard - the Commodore Club has been taken over by its martini glasses!

I like your idea of toasting QM2 departures with a martini, though. Very admirable. I must give that custom serious consideration here in our household.

Paul

For all of you ocean liner history buffs out there, this is a picture of the very camera used to take so many famous historical photographs of ocean liners from the early 1900's, including the ones of the Titanic off the Isle of Wight. The Beken of Cowes shop in town had it out on the day I visited (on a prior visit to the shop in February it was not out). It was a real treat to get a close look at it, and I thought I would pass the image along.

Paul

BekenCamera.jpg.ccb5309f42c9b86ef1657fb4beb202b5.jpg

The Isle sounds very nice if there is a short layover on a BtoB.

We were on the same outbound as Paul and we, too, had our cabin temp all the way down. I even used the TV to put in a report to maintanence. Most of the time, the temp on the ship was comfortable, although my DH was very warm on tux and suit nights. I did find the temp in the show room to be just right. Often they get very warm when filled.

There were a couple of spots, next to windows, that were cool. That's just fine with me.

Bobbie

I am still sorting through pictures and getting rolls developed. This picture is one of my favorites. I snapped it spontaneously as we were coming into the Britannia Dining Room for lunch one day. This is typically how we would be greeted at all meals in Britannia. Very classy, and just look at the view ahead. For morning and lunch, the Maitre'D would assign a table number to one of the waiters lined up, and they would escort you to your table. Sometimes there would be a dozen or so of the staff lined up smiling and saying hello. Very nice effect.

QM2Britannia.jpg.f9cca2a3b9fdc110dd4390606544f782.jpg

Paul, that is a lovely photo of Britannia DR entrance. It captures the experience nicely.

Ah, to be welcomed so warmly into such a beautiful and elegant space! For all the talk on other threads about QM2 being worse than/better than QE2, I must say there is room in my heart for both.

Archived