JC Penney - New Private Label line

Jane110

As I told you all last week, JC Penney is working hard to upscale their image and attract new consumers, by creating Sephora Shops within some of their stores.

Today I read about another effort to grab the more upscale consumer. They are introducing a new private label line called E. 5th and these are supposed to be a lifestyle brand of modern clothes designed to appeal to the woman who traditionally does not shop at JC Penney.

Personally, I have my doubts about this and think the Penney's customer may like the clothes and buy them, so in that sense, it might be successful. However, in terms of attracting new customers to the Penney's stores, I not optimistic that this will work.

What do you think? For those that don't shop in JC Penney's (like myself), do you think that if they market is properly, you might go in and look and possibly buy? For those of you who do shop Penney's, you think a new and more modern brand is a good thing?

I like Penney's personally. They usually have great sales and I tend to like their clothes. I go less for brands and more for styles so it'd depend on if the clothes fit my style whether or not I'd get them.

I don't shop at Penney's because there aren't any nearby, and if I order something from the catalog that doesn't fit--what a pain to bring it back so I don't have to pay shipping:rolleyes: I agree that it would depend on the style of the clothing, quality & price. Is it something that would take me away from Kohls (which is the price/quality point I associate with Penney's right now, and since Kohls is more convenient for me personally, I prefer to shop there...)

I'd have to see it, feel it and see what the pricing structure is. I'm not much of a JCPenney shopper, I think their prices are high for the type of clothing they carry.

I buy mens clothes there sometimes. I have purchased sheets for my kids beds there, that's about my extent of shopping at JCP.

You're right about the demographics. Where the JCP store is located is not a great mall.

Would I shop at Penny's, probably not, even with a new clothing line. The closest one to me is not in a good mall (i.e. run down, dirty, no other stores in it) and they just don't have a good selection, even compared to other Penny's, which don't have a great selection IMO.

As others have said - sometimes it depends upon where in the world one lives - and what is offered on a daily basis. We have the only shopping mall within 200 miles- therefore many people have no other options than to have one location in which to shop (unless one is willing to do lots of internet/catalog shopping). We have a Sears (which I dislike) a Dick's Sporting Goods (nice for columbia shorts) a Kohls (not impressed with the quality or types of clothes - they have a very nice "housewares" department) a Penney's (has a larger selection and styles) and Filene's (which is slowly turning in Macy's - it will be interesting to see how the new lines work - and if they continue to be a "force" for clothes ).

To make a long story short - because of our rural location - it might be good for this area. Jan

What do you think? For those that don't shop in JC Penney's (like myself), do you think that if they market is properly, you might go in and look and possibly buy?

Ummmm... No. IMO, JCPenney's quality is not very good, for the price. I have bought shirts that shrunk, pilled or just looked worn after a few washes years ago and I will not waste my time or my money in that store. It has nothing to do with brand names.

I would rather by $8.00 tee shirts at Target and buy new ones each spring, than spend $25.00 on a tee shirt that will be worn just one season. Plus, half the time JCPenney does not have the styles that I like. If I find a shirt that fits, I buy multiples in different shades.

This is just my opinion...

I don't shop in J. C. Penne' and I doubt I would make a special trip just to check out their "new" line.

I normally don't go to malls and if I do it's usually a b-line to Victorias Secret, Banana Republic, Gap or Bebe. All my other shopping is done on line.

jo - Had to laugh at your J.C.Penne' reference ... I haven't heard that in a while. Right up there with Targe'!

I do shop J.C.Penney once in a while, for casual clothes only. They are sorely lacking in quality in dresses, skirts, suits, etc. in my opinion. I can sometimes find khakis, shorts, knit shirts or the like but I admit it is not always possible to find decent quality items.

I do buy nightshirts, robes, panties, etc. there and they seem to hold up fine, also things like bath towels, etc. or other household items. We ordered the blinds for one of our bathrooms there and were pleased with the knowledge of the woman that helped us as well as the final product.

So ... with all that said, I would consider buying more clothing at Penney's if the quality is improved. We have several locations in large malls here in the Dallas area, one is just across the street from my office so it is convenient.

Funny timing here. I was talking to a couple of women recently who were thrilled with their bargains they got for their kids and themselves at JC Penney. I've ventured in a couple of times and have never bought anything. I just don't like the quality or style of clothes there- for any of us. I don't think a new line will change my mind but if I see something nice on my way to a new Sephora area, I might take a peek.

I had to cut the JCP on my way from the parking lot.. and actually found a great Nicole Miller top.. at a reasonable price. I was shocked.

Otherwise JCP is not my style for clothing. I have picked up some luggage and bath towels in the past.. not bad.

Not sure I'd make an effort to see the new line.

Seems that no one is terribly pleased with JCPenney's selection or quality and those of you who shop there do it primarily because of lack of other choices. And you're all from different parts of the country.

We don't have Penney's here in NYC so I've only been in a few in my life. Never bought anything.

Sounds like putting a Sephora in will definitely improve Penney's image for fashion. But it seems to me that if they don't change their clothing also, people will go in for their cosmetics and then leave.

Thanks for the input.

I'm ok with Penney's. I like to buy shorts, jeans, tees, etc. there, because they are inexpensive and higher quality than Walmart ( although I have to admit, I DO buy clothes at Walmart, too!) I am basically a bargain shopper and do not like to spend a lot of money on clothes. I find that I get bored with my clothes long before they ever wear out, no matter where I get them from. (Or I change size!):o I work in a VERY casual office and pretty much only wear jeans or shorts, so I don't need suits or dresses, except for special events. It just doesn't make sense for me to spend alot on those since I so rarely wear them. When I watch TLC's What not to Wear, I'm horrified at the thought of paying hundreds of $$$ for ONE jacket!!!:eek:

JCP would have to do a lot to get me in there. I have checked out their online items and nothing piqued my interest.

They're styles of clothing simply don't represent me. I may be in my late 30's, but I cannot find anything they carry that is *me*, and I'm not going to dress like a teen.

They would have to do a lot with their new line to bring me in.

I will probably stick to Sephora online, or their shops and not take a chance that the Sephora counter at JCP doesn't carry what I'm looking for.

~e

I'm a Penney's shopper and around here they are great esp. for talls/extra-tall. It's hard to find tall slacks where the price won't majorly dent you wallet, unless you go to a specialty store. If they're coming out with a new brand, I'm willing to look at it.

(OT...Their Arizona jeans for kids are great!!!)

Archived