Galaxy's condition?

lilbit

Would like some opinions on the Galaxy. Saw a great med cruise at a great price but I believe the Galaxy is a rather old ship and I have concerns. We usually cruise on ships 5 years old or under. It's rather sad that some of us cruisers consider a ship of 5 years or more older when I realize that is not the case. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Just got off Galaxy on 3/20. If you want all the glitz and glamour of the new ships, you wouldn't be happy. If you want a fantastic crew, a great trip and fantastic service, go for it. I sure wouldn't let the age stop me, those are port intensive cruises so you wouldn't be looking for more activities. We prefer this size ship to the mega-liners.

Marilyn

I agree with Marilyn. My house isn't brand new, but it's warm and clean and has a cosy feel. That's how I felt about Galaxy. No glitz or neon lights, but it all went together very well and the atmosphere is great. I loved it.

She's 10 years old. My house is 130 years old. Now if I could only find (and afford) the staff on Galaxy to keep it clean and see to my every whim, I'd be happy! The best crew ever. I've been on Galaxy twice and I'd have no issues with going on her again.:)

Phil

My house is 130 years old.

Have the windows been replaced? Galaxy may be only a decade old but the windows are 130.

We're still looking at the Galaxy for the fall but our experience next month will help us decide.

Galaxy is one worn used up ship with no drydock in the forseeable future. Staff is indeed great but they can only go so far to making a great cruise. If you read the reviews on X's handling of the problems on Mercury and the sewage problem on Millenium and X's indifference to each you may get insight into what their response is to complaints, fixing things etc and the direction this company is heading.

Having been on Galaxy recently (11/24/05) and seen first hand its dis-repair it still amazes me the Celebrity Loyalists continue to say what a great ship and what great condition it is in. What a crock!!!!!!!

Galaxy is one worn used up ship with no drydock in the forseeable future. Staff is indeed great but they can only go so far to making a great cruise. If you read the reviews on X's handling of the problems on Mercury and the sewage problem on Millenium and X's indifference to each you may get insight into what their response is to complaints, fixing things etc and the direction this company is heading.

Having been on Galaxy recently (11/24/05) and seen first hand its dis-repair it still amazes me the Celebrity Loyalists continue to say what a great ship and what great condition it is in. What a crock!!!!!!!

Pecoraro - you're been complaining about Galaxy for four months now. On December 15th you said this would be your last post on the Celebrity board but you are still here. On the same day you stated that Carnival owns RCCL which everyone knows is not the case. You even went on to complain that Celebrity does not measure up to Oceania. How could it, when Oceania is so much more expensive and offers a different type of cruising experience. Celebrity has always been a mainstream cruise line and you complain it doesn't measure up to a premium cruise line. I suspect that somethin happened on your Galaxy cruise that you're not telling us about so you continue to grind your axe. I was on Galaxy a few weeks before you and I find it hard to believe the ship went downhill so far so fast.

Yes, there a some windows in the forward lounge that need repair, but other than that, I didn't see whole lot other than normal wear on anything. Call me a fool, but we've sailed her twice and would go back tomorrow if we had the chance. Different strokes I guess.

Marilyn

Would like some opinions on the Galaxy. Saw a great med cruise at a great price but I believe the Galaxy is a rather old ship and I have concerns. We usually cruise on ships 5 years old or under. It's rather sad that some of us cruisers consider a ship of 5 years or more older when I realize that is not the case. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Pay no attention to what Pecoraro says as the ship is in no where near the condition he claims it is. We did the Med cruise on Galaxy this past September and it was one of the best cruises we have taken. It was a port intensive itinerary with only two sea days. It's a great trip you should definitely do.

We were on Galaxy in 2001 and thought she was a fine ship. We were on Mercury very recently and thought Galaxy for a sister ship was far superior and in ways different than Mercury, as in better and improved

BUT

We did read random posts here that Mercury was in need of some attention, and while on baord we did find this to be our opinion as well.

SO

There may well be some grain of truth in posts which comment that Galaxy needs some attention

YET

She was one fine ship, and quite beautiful in her public rooms and I thought one of the prettiest ships I have been on.

PROBABLY

Has the prettiest Theatre of any ship we have sailed and one of the nicest decorated Cocktail Lounges we have seen.

Pay no attention to what Pecoraro says as the ship is in no where near the condition he claims it is.

And there is the response you would expect from a loyalist. Read the reviews of others and you will find that this ship is in dire need of a drydock!!

Boy oh boy, the poor Galaxy. This subject comes up over and over again. I know because I was reading the same types of threads the whole second half of last year waiting for our Christmas cruise. Our family went with the attitude that we would "expect the worse, and hope for the best" while waiting to come to our conclusions once aboard the ship. We were very pleasantly surprised at what a nice ship she is.

EVERYONE here complains about SOME fogged panes of glass in the Stratosphere Lounge. This is true. I attaced a pic below. Have you ever met one single person who has chosen a cruise ship based upon the condition of it's windows :confused:

The best way I can describe the Galaxy and others have said the same is that she is a classic. If you need glitz, glamour, bright light and neon, this is DEFINITELY not the ship for you. If you have kids yeah, they may be happier on one of those types of ships, but you know what? Our child survived just fine. The staff and service on this ship, in all areas, were far and above any other cruise our family has sailed on. I've only been cruising for about 20 years now, but my 90+ year old grandmother has been on plenty of cruises since right after WWII. She doesn't mind sailing with HAL or Princess. But she is sailing the Galaxy again this Christmas. That has to say something no? <<stepping off my soap box now>>

stratosp_sm.jpg.75ed8ce4e5bf7423a7a6d743d5db7fc2.jpg

Having never sailed on the Galaxy, I'm curious as to what a Category 7 cabin is like. I'm being told it's in the middle of the ship in the 4000 room number area. Is this a comfortable place to be?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

My 90 plus-year-old dad and his companion stayed in a cat 7 (4079) on our 1/21 cruise. He had booked a ov guarantee, and travel agent requested near the elevator because of his age. They were delighted with this cabin. It is the same size as other ocean views. It has a large window with beds against the window wall. The window is not a porthole, but it is not as large as the cat 5 or 4 windows. The seating area is a chair and table, not the loveseat found in cat 4 & 5. The desk is in the corner behind the bathroom. It has a wonderful hidden storage area behind the mirror. There wee two bunks in addition to accomdate more passengers.

Dad found this area of the ship to be quiet and felt very little movement even

though we encountered rough seas, and our balcony cabin at midship had all kinds of rattles on the roughest of nights!

We have sailed Galaxy twice (June 2001, and 1/21/06), and it is our favoriet ship so far. The staff is the most accomodating I can imagine. I like the size and the easy arrangement of all of the public areas.

Enjoy,

In spite of the mixed reviews we have booked Galaxy, Greek Isles, June '07. We figure to go in with an open mind and enjoy our first trip to Europe. We will probably spend little time on the ship anyway.

I did have a question about cablins. I booked a CC cabin and an inside (1137). I was hoping for an inside with handicap access as this will be for my 85 year old father in law. The deck plan on the web shows it as an accessible room, but the X agent I spoke with said it is not. He told me the only accessible interior cabins would be on the lowest decks. We wanted to be closer together. Does anyone know this cabin?

Now if I could only find (and afford) the staff on Galaxy to keep it clean and see to my every whim, I'd be happy! The best crew ever. I've been on Galaxy twice and I'd have no issues with going on her again.:)

Phil

Same as Phil. We were just off in February. So good we booked again next February.

I know the food and service are great but I just would like to know why X is not correcting the window situation. The condition of the ship should not be an issue. To me the windows are a reminder that X has no intention of improving their image. "You do not get a second chance to make a first impression."

My 90 plus-year-old dad and his companion stayed in a cat 7 (4079) on our 1/21 cruise. He had booked a ov guarantee, and travel agent requested near the elevator because of his age. They were delighted with this cabin. It is the same size as other ocean views. It has a large window with beds against the window wall. The window is not a porthole, but it is not as large as the cat 5 or 4 windows. The seating area is a chair and table, not the loveseat found in cat 4 & 5. The desk is in the corner behind the bathroom. It has a wonderful hidden storage area behind the mirror. There wee two bunks in addition to accomdate more passengers.

Dad found this area of the ship to be quiet and felt very little movement even

though we encountered rough seas, and our balcony cabin at midship had all kinds of rattles on the roughest of nights!

We have sailed Galaxy twice (June 2001, and 1/21/06), and it is our favoriet ship so far. The staff is the most accomodating I can imagine. I like the size and the easy arrangement of all of the public areas.

Enjoy,

Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I need to make my decision.

In spite of the mixed reviews we have booked Galaxy, Greek Isles, June '07. We figure to go in with an open mind and enjoy our first trip to Europe. We will probably spend little time on the ship anyway.

I did have a question about cablins. I booked a CC cabin and an inside (1137). I was hoping for an inside with handicap access as this will be for my 85 year old father in law. The deck plan on the web shows it as an accessible room, but the X agent I spoke with said it is not. He told me the only accessible interior cabins would be on the lowest decks. We wanted to be closer together. Does anyone know this cabin?

Hi there ~ I will be on Galaxy on May 6th to Rome and I have cabin 1137 which I requested. This inside cabin is one of the very few family room cabins. It has a seperate area which can be shut off by the door. this area has 2 twin sofa beds and one upper bed. In the first room is a double bed. Go to www.cruiseclues.com and go to galaxy cabins and there you will find a picture of the room. Hope this helps ~ Els

Hi there ~ I will be on Galaxy on May 6th to Rome and I have cabin 1137 which I requested. This inside cabin is one of the very few family room cabins. It has a seperate area which can be shut off by the door. this area has 2 twin sofa beds and one upper bed. In the first room is a double bed. Go to www.cruiseclues.com and go to galaxy cabins and there you will find a picture of the room. Hope this helps ~ Els

BTW ~ the room is 210/220sq.ft so larger then a regular inside cabin ~ Els

BTW ~ the room is 210/220sq.ft so larger then a regular inside cabin ~ Els

check out http://community.webshots.com/user/panamacanal2004

Cujosmom (cruisecritic member name shows pictures of cabin 1137 on Galaxy. She wrote the review on 12/22/2004 at 5:50PM in case you need to do a search. ~ Els

Archived