Luv2CruiseHal

What food would you try  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What food would you try

• Sushi
    • Escargot
    • Pickeled Eel
    • Other

Have tried all the foods listed except the sushi, I don't do raw fish!! I loove escargot and caviar. I tried oysters Rockefeller on my last cruise and they were wonderful. I also tried three kinds of salmon; loved two hated one.

It is exciting to try new and sometimes unusual things. On the Amsterdam in Feb. they had this fruit native to Indonesia. My waiter said it was really good so I tried some ( sorry can't remember the name). I was half way through it when he remembered to tell me it was also a natural laxative and not to eat too much. I was a little worried, but it tasted good and no ill effects.

When DH was in Korea he had this wonderful stew, really like it. until he found out it contained dog. Don't get mad it's true!

LOVE sushi and escargot.

Pickled Eel - Not going to happen! I don't care for pickled seafood or meats.

There are things I would try if offered "for free" but not if there were options for things I KNOW I like.

I consider myself VERY adventurous in what I eat ( I remember when I was in college a friend of mine's parents took us out for dinner to celebrate his birthday. His family was Greek and we went to a restaurant in Astoria Queens. Stereotypical Greek place, Greek music, smashing plates etc. We ate deep fried squid, Deep fried sheep's brains and, as my friends father put it..."unmentionables"! (AKA Rocky mountain Oysters)). I'm STILL not eating any Pickled Eel!

Love escargot as does my DW (cept no mushroom for her). I'll try anything most times when it's served for "free". I think that's the time to tempt the palate. Pickled eel does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. But I would like to give sushi a chance at my tummy. I don't like caviar or any of the "birds" (ostrich.partridge,duck, goose, emu, pigeon,etc ) except chicken which is a staple isn't it? I've tried the Haggis - no thank you. Sweetmeats -NO , don't care what you call it, I KNOW what it really is. I've tried bear, moose, deer usually too gamey for my taste. Although I did have bear done by a North American Indian friend of mine. He hunted it, skinned it, and prepared it himself. That was delicious, but have never been able to duplicate it when tried a few times since. I don't like grits either for y'all southerners out there LOL:D

I have tried sushi on my last two cruises and enjoyed it. I think the escargot on HAL is the best I have ever eaten. When dining with folks who have never tried it, I always order one serving for the table so everyone gets a chance to try if they'd like. Then, if there's extra left, I get to enjoy escargot along with my other appetizer Have won several converts that way.

Eel? Don't know if I've ever seen it offered on HAL. I've tried venison, bear, boar, buffalo, caribou, rabbit. Can't say I'd go out of my way to eat any except buffalo. I enjoyed rabbit the one time I had it, a friend ordered for me, and I didn't know it was "lapin au vin" until afterward when I read the menu board. I just can't get past the thought of cute little bunnies!

For me, a cruise is a great opportunity to try things I would never try at home in a restaurant. Before cruising, I never tried escargot, venison and many appetizers, now I love them. If I order something I don't like, I can always order something else to replace it. The Lido is also a great place to try new things. You can take just a tiny bit of something (i.e. herring), and if you like it, you can always go back and get more. After six HAL cruises, however, there aren't that many new things to try. They really need a menu overhaul with some new interesting items. On a few cruises, I have encountered some excellent wine stewards who encouraged me to try some wines that I now love.

Love escargots and sushi.

I ate escargots in 3 or 4 different kinds... On the ships , in Quebec, in Paris, in Bruxelles etc.

Have never tried eel, except in sushi.. i would try.

The only exotic food I would never try is ANYTHING made with JELLY - FISH. I wouldn't even swim in the sea if I knew there was jellyfish somewhere near, let alone eat it!!! My parents had huge problems with me every time they brought me for vacation to Black Sea resorts!!! I wouldn't swim for whole month!

Now... back to the food. I tried bread pudding and meatloaf. I wouldn't pay for it, but it was free.

Have tried all the foods listed except the sushi, I don't do raw fish!!
Not all sushi has raw fish in it, a lot has no fish at all.

I loove escargot and caviar.
Wait a minute. Caviar is raw fish eggs, is it all that different from raw fish?

When DH was in Korea he had this wonderful stew, really like it. until he found out it contained dog. Don't get mad it's true!
I'd try that too even knowing what was in it.

In Grand Cayman turtle meat is available at many restaurants. It is even raised commercially there on the island at the Turtle Farm. I'd like to try that too.

We had frog legs on our very first cruise in 1986. Those taste a bit like chicken.

There are a few things I really don't care to eat; lima beans and brussel sprouts.

I have had sushi and have eaten eel (although not pickled) without knowing what it was. I had a friend whose mother was visiting from China and she would get up early each day to make a big lunch with 6-7 different types of food. She invited me to try her mother's cooking because it was more authentic than what we would get here. I asked what it was and she told me it was belt fish. I tried it and liked it. Another Chinese friend told me that belt fish was just a way of describing eel because it is long and flat. The only time I have ever been offered food that I absolutely couldn't eat was at a bridal shower in little Italy. We ordered pasta with seafood thinking it would have clams, mussels, shrimp etc. and when it was served it was a plate of linguine with red sauce and five tiny whole baby octopi (plural?) arranged in a circle on the platter. I couldn't even look at it.

• 1 month later...

Went to Biloxi MS the week after Easter with a church group, to help with the rebuilding.

Night before we came home, the group went to a Japanese restaurant.

One of our guys, Al, must be at least 70. Never been to a Japanese restaurant before but was very open minded. Andy, the guy next to him, was a sushi fan.

Al decided that whatever Andy ordered, he was having it too.

Started with miso soup. "Andy, is this spinach in here?" "No, Al, it's seaweed." "You mean that for all these years I've been wasting that stuff I take off my fish hook?!"

Andy had ordered some kind of dish that was a bowl of rice with a wide variety of raw fish on top. Al struggled with his chopsticks, but picked up a piece and popped it in his mouth. His face lit up, he smiled so much. "This is really good!" He polished it all off (washing it down with sake, of course).

Al was overheard that night talking to his wife on his cell phone: "Mother, I had raw fish for dinner!"

We asked him what her response was. "Verla said, 'Yuck!'"

It is exciting to try new and sometimes unusual things. On the Amsterdam in Feb. they had this fruit native to Indonesia. My waiter said it was really good so I tried some ( sorry can't remember the name). I was half way through it when he remembered to tell me it was also a natural laxative and not to eat too much. I was a little worried, but it tasted good and no ill effects.

Those are called prunes!

;)

I'll try most anything - when I lived near Tokyo, I told my students not to tell me what anything was before I ate it. (I already knew that I liked sushi, so I had nothing to lose) I ate eel, eensy fried shrimp w/ the shells on (that they eat like potato chips), tripe... There were only two times that I simply refused, and told them that they may as well tell me what it was - first one was Natto: fermented soy beans, the other was a purple-y slime - Ika no Shiokara: Fermented squid innards :p

Archived