Panama Canal--Which is best Ship/Itineray between these two??

twoatsea

Hope I can get some help on this, please. :) DH & I have not cruised the Panama Canal, but we want to book one of the following:

1. Westerdam, 9/24/06, 21 days, Seattle, Vancouver, at sea, at sea, LA, at sea, at sea, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanego/Ixtapa, at sea, Puerto Quetzal, San Juan Del Sur, Puntarenas, Golfo Dulce, Panama Canal (7am-5pm), at sea, Curacao, at sea, St. Thomas, at sea, HMC, Ft. Lauderdale

2. Zuiderdam, 9/30/06, 21 days, Vancouver, Astoria, at sea, San Francisco, at sea, at sea, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, at sea, Acapulco, Huatulco, at sea, San Juan Del Sur, Puntarenas, Golfo Dulce, Panama Canal (7am-7pm), Cartagena, at sea, Ocho Rios, at sea, HMC, Ft. Lauderdale.

What do you think.

Is one itinerary better than the other? (We don't care about the Carib stops - been there, done that!)

Is one ship better than the other? We have sailed the Westerdam, but not the Zui. We very much loved the Westie. Have seen negative posts about the Zui from time to time. Are there engineering problems on that ship?

Does anyone use their cabin balcony while going thru the canal, or are the best views on deck? We don't always book at balcony; depends on prices & itinerary.

Is port side the best since cruising south along California/Mexico?

Thanks in advance for your help. Soon we will be on to a new adventure - so cool :cool: :D At least we will be as soon as you guys guide us to the right path! ;)

I would think Westerdam. I like the ports better I think. As far as the canal transit, I think I would do that from the Crow's Nest. I have transited the canal 2 times but both times were on a warship that was 54 feet wide. Mind you, the locks are only 110 feet wide. Both these ships are 106 feet wide :D not much room to the lock wall. So I guess it's how far up above the water line your cabin is as to weather or not your looking at a concrete wall while the ship is in the low part of the lock.:D Either way, happy cruiseing!

I'd go with the Westerdam, too. It's highly likely you won't make the stop in Cartagena anyway, so something else will be substituted. I personally wouldn't want to go to Columbia just yet anyway.

When we transited the Canal, we were topside for a while shooting photos, then went back to the cabin and got some nice up-close ones from our verandah.

It's doubtful you'll see that much land while sailing down the left coast. So either side should do nicely for you.

Enjoy!

If Captain Von Donsellar were commanding Zuiderdam for that cruise, personally I'd book that one.

I hear that Astoria is a nice port visit, and SF is also a great port - and I'd simply stay aboard ship the day the ship was in Jamaca.

Have sailed on both ships - loved the Westerdam.

But - this is hard - the itinerary for the Zuiderdam is much better - JMO.

You will be going south to north (Pacific to Caribbean) - usually the best views of the locks working on that type of cruise is on the starboard side.

And we do spend a lot of time out on our verandah while going through the locks.

We did this cruise in 2003 on the Zaandam and loved all the Mexican and Central American ports. Have not been on either of these ships, but was on the Oosterdam in December and it was great. I would vote for the Zuiderdam cruise based on the ports. Huatulco, San Juan del Sur, and Puntarenas were all different and the tours from them were unique. We also thought Cartagena was interesting and our tour guide was the best. THere is so much history there. And, of course, how could you not want to visit San Francisco, my town! HMC would be a great ending to the cruise too - it was to ours.

If Captain Von Donsellar were commanding Zuiderdam for that cruise, personally I'd book that one.

I hear that Astoria is a nice port visit, and SF is also a great port - and I'd simply stay aboard ship the day the ship was in Jamaca.

Hi Brian...just curious re your comment about Jamaica....why would you stay on board that day?

We just finished this cruise on the Volendam - it was wonderful -

My least favorite place was Nicauragua - but we loved Costa Rica( did the aerial tramway) and Guatemela - had a wonderful tour - arranged thru Elizabeth Bell . An American who had moved there 37 years ago - only $18 for 3 hours - well worth it.

Columbia was ok - their emeralds are gorgeous. And of course the Panama Canal was amazing - the trip of a lifetime!

Barbara

Hi Brian...just curious re your comment about Jamaica....why would you stay on board that day?

Simply because Jamaca is the most anti-Gay/Lesbian country on the planet.

Hate crimes occur there w/ amazing regularity - the police encourage it, and the government does nothing to stop it.

I think a verndah is good for doing the Panama Canal. After watching part of the transit from an open deck forward, it was good to relax on the verandah and still watch the trip through the canal. I would strongly advise against the Crow's Nest, except for getting cool, for viewing the transit because it will be very crowded. We had a port side verandh for the trip south from San Diego and still remember drinking a glass of wine while watching schools of dolphins passing by!

Brian's stated reason is a good one for gays and lesbians to note. And it IS critical to be aware that physical violence against tourists does happen here. I've seen it, and experienced it, personally on several occasions. The herding, the touching, the pushing, the yelling, the intimidation tactics that the local trinket salespersons engage in is something that I no longer wish to experience. And that's just the surface experience.

I've been to Jamaica 4 times ... there are only so-many times that one needs to see and try to climb the Dunn River Falls. :rolleyes:

Simply because Jamaica is the most anti-Gay/Lesbian country on the planet.

Hate crimes occur there w/ amazing regularity - the police encourage it, and the government does nothing to stop it.

I must state that as a gay man I spent 3 weeks once in Jamaica with absolutely no ill ramifications whatsoever. In comparison, on one of my trips to San Francisco a gay friend had a pop can and various oscenities thrown at him on mass transit for solely "looking" gay. That, in an apparently enlightened and tolerant city and country .... go figure.

Hate crimes do happen everywhere unfortunately, and I think we have the most effect trying to resolve matters in our own backyards before criticizing other nations.

Dave (who just loved the beaches in Jamaica ;) )

Thanks everyone for so many good answers.

I agree with the Jamaica comments. We regularly do the Caribbean cruises during the winter & when prices are good, & we never get off the ship at Jamaica. Years ago we did a land stay at Ocho Rios & that was enough. Had a good time; glad for the opportunity; stayed at a premier all inclusive resort; but why go to a place with machine gun armed guards at each end of the beach & barbed wire fencing around the resort and numerous security warnings before leaving the property, including beware of the taxi drivers!!! We always say on our comment card - "Please eliminate the Jamaica port!!"

Now DH & I need to make a decision on the Panama Canal cruise, but all of you have given us lots of good info to consider.

Thanks again.

p.s. We loooooove San Francisco!!! One of our favorite cities. May be a good idea to go a few days ahead & spend some time there!!!:D

Simply because Jamaca is the most anti-Gay/Lesbian country on the planet.

Thanks Brian....I noticed that Rosie's group got a very intimidating and hateful welcome at Grand Cayman....sounds like we'll be staying away from both Jamaica and G.C....too many other great places to go without worrying about the hate potential...

Archived