Atkins forum

mecb50

I've been on atkins... for a LONG time (most of time maintaining, am very carb sensitive and just am a nicer person when I low carb). That said everyone is different with the amounts that they use when doing induction. I've also found that as I get older it's harder to get that needle to budge especially when I low carb and do low fat. You MUST drink that water and watch the artificially sweetner.
JMHO.
Carolyn

[quote name='cmjaffe']I've been on atkins... for a LONG time (most of time maintaining, am very carb sensitive and just am a nicer person when I low carb). That said everyone is different with the amounts that they use when doing induction. I've also found that as I get older it's harder to get that needle to budge especially when I low carb and do low fat. You MUST drink that water and watch the artificially sweetner.
JMHO.
Carolyn[/QUOTE]
speaking of artificial sweetner...

i see that [I]splenda[/I] is a talked about alot with atkins. any input on [B]equal[/B]? i dislike spelnda, and when i have equal in my coffee it tastes the same as regular sugar.

Hi all-

Carolyn- Wow! Sorry to hear about your foot. Baby-man is 7 months old now and crawling everywhere. He took off about 3 days after turning 6 months old. He's very laid back and cheerful most of the time but STILL isn't sleeping through the night. I'm hoping that solid food will solve that. He's just starting to eat it now. He had to wait a bit because he had those allergies to the formulas (both milk and soy) as a newborn. So far so good and the pediatrician is going to have us try him back on regular milk formula at around 9 months. We will probably have to use lactose free but at least then we'll be able to transition him to lactose free milk at a year instead of rice milk (yuck!) So far he only wants things he can feed himself so it's bananas and that sort of thing. He hates peaches though. What a crazy child!

Rpjs- Not sure about Equal. Some people can use artifical sweetners with no problem on atkins and some will get thrown out of ketosis. It very much depends on your body chemistry. If you use it and stop losing or get out of ketosis then I'd cut that out first. Don't worry about posting too much. I'm happy that there are people posting again!!!

I can't tell you about induction weightloss because I really can't do induction very well. I have crohn's disease and an ileostomy. Cutting severely back to 20 carbs all at once really throws me off.

Tami

Glad to see this thread again ! Still on low carb, but have been cheating off and on- I need to get back on the straight and narrow.

Lost about 48lbs in 1 1/2 yrs. Still have 20 to go, grrr.

Cruising again the end of Oct so hoping to lose at least 15 by then.

RPJ everone's weight loss will vary, I was losing about 1- 1 1/2 lb per week when I kept carbs under 20.

Hard for me to keep carbs under 20 but I did it before so can do it again. The good news is I havent gained any weight back- even with the cheating.

Good luck to all of you !

Hubby and I have been doing Atkins for 10 weeks now. I have lost 31 lbs and he has lost 49. We are so proud of ourselves. We went on a 7 nite cruise 2 weeks ago, I lost 2 lbs that week and he lost 3. So it can be done.We walked alot and kept the bread off the table. We both had 100 lbs to lose when we started, so there is a long way to go yet. We have booked a 12 nite cruise for next May and I hope to have the rest of my weight off or at least be close. It is so easy to do this since we are both doing it. No junk in the house and we don't have to watch the other one eating anything wrong.
Hope you all keep losing. I find if I make small goals instead of big ones that works for me. Love reading all your posts. Vicki:)

I've had 2 coffees (with equal) so far this week, and i started induction saturday.. im down 4lbs! so i guess its ok for me to do the equal. But if anything changes I'll try cutting that out for a week.

I think im going to pick up some cream cheese.. already have the SFJ and try that tonight! i need some sweets!!! haha

thanks for all the replys about my questions :)

Hello Everyone!

Thanks Tami, for your kind words, Hats off to you for looking after Gran, enjoy her while you can. Hope your "little man" is doing well :)

I have been back on induction since Monday and so far so good...hey, 3 days is an accomplishment believe me....LOL

It's amazing how hard it is to get back in the ZONE but once I am there I am steadfast...its just getting there thats my problem...

I am guilty of not drinking the water, I must try harder to do that.

Anyone have any suggestions for low carb shakes?

It really miss the fruit, though :(

Jo.

I got recipes for low carb shakes from a couple of books by Dana Carpendar. One is an actual book of Smoothie recipes that vary from 2 carbs up to 25 carbs per serving. The other is in her How I Quit My Lowfat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds book and is a basic mix that you can add flavorings to. I can't stand the canned ones because they taste like can.:rolleyes:

I'm still working sugar and bread junk out of our house and out of my diet. We're goign to dinner theater so it wasn't worth going all out before tomorrow night. I'll give induction a try over the weekend and see if I can do it. I plan to start with 40 carbs on Friday then 30 on Sat. If that goes well I'll go on down to 20 on Sun. Usually I have to keep between 30 and 40 though.

Tami

I'm also glad to see this thread revived.

Robyn, I've been on Atkins for almost three years. I checked back to my records, and I lost 23 pounds the first two months (I didn't start keeping a record until after two months had gone by). Then I lost anywhere from 1/2 pound to 3 pounds every week after that. I ended up losing a total of 53 pounds in the first year. Since then, I've gained 10 pounds back, mostly in the last year. I try to eat low-carb every day, but it's the birthday celebrations, holidays, and vacations that do me in. But I'm still low-carbing on a daily basis, though - it's why I haven't gained more weight back. I've gone from wearing size 18 pants to a size 10, and holding.

As for adding sweets such as sugar-free jello and whipped cream to your diet, this is no-no while you're on induction. I just checked my Atkins book, and he writes that just because a product says "sugar-free" doesn't mean that it's permissible. After your two weeks on induction, you can splurge a little once in awhile. After dinner, I usually have 2-3 strawberries or a handful of blueberries and a piece of Russell Stover Net Carb candy (but it does contain Splenda - which I happen to love). It comes in a red bag and is around 0.3 or 0.5 net carbs, available at Walgreens.

Good luck to you.

Theresa

[quote name='luvcruzing']I'm also glad to see this thread revived.

Robyn, I've been on Atkins for almost three years. I checked back to my records, and I lost 23 pounds the first two months (I didn't start keeping a record until after two months had gone by). Then I lost anywhere from 1/2 pound to 3 pounds every week after that. I ended up losing a total of 53 pounds in the first year. Since then, I've gained 10 pounds back, mostly in the last year. I try to eat low-carb every day, but it's the birthday celebrations, holidays, and vacations that do me in. But I'm still low-carbing on a daily basis, though - it's why I haven't gained more weight back. I've gone from wearing size 18 pants to a size 10, and holding.

As for adding sweets such as sugar-free jello and whipped cream to your diet, this is no-no while you're on induction. I just checked my Atkins book, and he writes that just because a product says "sugar-free" doesn't mean that it's permissible. After your two weeks on induction, you can splurge a little once in awhile. After dinner, I usually have 2-3 strawberries or a handful of blueberries and a piece of Russell Stover Net Carb candy (but it does contain Splenda - which I happen to love). It comes in a red bag and is around 0.3 or 0.5 net carbs, available at Walgreens.

Good luck to you.

Theresa[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the info Theresa..

I think I am going to have to buy the book [again] to get it all right.

I was very bad.. my bf and I went to texas road house for dinner and i got the ribs (i couldnt help myself) but i know the sauce must be loaded in sugar. I of course gained 2lbs back but i lost another! The carbs arent so bad for me.. its the sugar thats hard.

The next night I went to the store and got some atkins shakes, and all kinds of bars. And reading the side or the package it said something like 5g carbs but there were 4g of fiber so they subtract the fiber from the carbs so the bar is actually 1g carb. Is this how carbs are counted on all foods or just the atkins products? I still dont know about the whole net carb thing im going to have to look that up on the site tonight.

thank you!!!

Morning!

Tami, thanks for the info on the shakes...I was checking them out last night..now I have to go buy some stuff..lol

Theresa, as far as the sugar free jello and cream cheese mouse, is that ok on induction?

I always have a container of that in my freeze, its like creamsicles..yummy!

I have some protein whey powder, chocolate and I mix it with water, its 1 carb per scoop...full of protein...and it whips up quite thick....I usually use 2 scoops if I don't have time for breakfast, its a quick way to get protein into me...tastes pretty good to!

Keep posting ladies, it really helps to communicate!

Thanks,
Jo :)

Hello!

I just got back from the store.. bought some more breakfast bars, along with some cream cheese and SFJ.
I was looking through the thread and didnt see the answer to my question.
Once I mix the jello and cream cheese do i put it in the fridge? I saw someone say something about the freezer. So I didn't know if it was better to chill or freeze. Also, is it 3 tbsp?

thanks!

Hi all- Well, I didn't get such a good start back yesterday. I went to lunch with a friend yesterday. She insisted in chinese buffet. Most of them around here have boiled shrimp, steamed veggies, etc but not this one. There was not a single thing that wasnt' fried or covered in heavy sauce! :mad: I did make up for it by having homemade vegetarian vegetable soup for dinner. It had chickpeas for protein which I'm pretty sure Dr. A wouldn't approve of but girl can't live by steak and bacon alone and I am a recovering vegetarian. :D

I'm in my workout clothes waiting for baby-man to go down for a nap. Hoping to do 20 on the elliptical machine and 25 on the bike today.

Tami

Robyn, as far as carbs go, you have to remember that sugar is carbs. That's why it's listed under the Total Carbohydrates on the Nutrition Label of products.

When I was on induction, I strictly followed the rules. That means sticking to 20 grams of carbohydrates or less and no fruit, no shakes, no low-carb candy, no bars. You're allowed 4 ounces of cheese a day. For breakfast an omelet or scrambled eggs and ham or bacon. For lunch, a chef's salad or bacon cheeseburger without the bun. For dinner, your favorite meat or fish and a salad. I suppose if you want to treat yourself to a sugar-free jello and whipped cream for dessert after dinner, you can (I even found a reference to this in the book where Dr. Atkins says it's permissible).

I tried the Atkins chocolate shake for the first time a few weeks ago (just needed a change for breakfast) and think they are delicious. But, again, I would wait until after induction. Just so you know, bacon rinds are zero carbs and crunchy (and now come in many flavors), for those times when you just need something to crunch on.

As far as the net carbs go, yes, you subtract the total fiber grams from the total carbohydrates, in addition to the sugar alcohol. Some people can't tolerate the sugar alcohol, though. I find that if I have more than one piece of the Net Carb candy, I put weight on immediately.

So, anyway, I would stay away from any of the low-carb products out there until after induction.

Theresa

Please forgive me for not reading all the posts in this thread, but I do have a question.

How low-carb friendly is the dining room food? I have looked at menus and see they most are marinated or have heavy sauces. Is it no big deal to request a dining room menu item to have no sauce, etc.

Thanks In Advance

Laura

[quote name='luvcruzing']Robyn, as far as carbs go, you have to remember that sugar is carbs. That's why it's listed under the Total Carbohydrates on the Nutrition Label of products.

When I was on induction, I strictly followed the rules. That means sticking to 20 grams of carbohydrates or less and no fruit, no shakes, no low-carb candy, no bars. You're allowed 4 ounces of cheese a day. For breakfast an omelet or scrambled eggs and ham or bacon. For lunch, a chef's salad or bacon cheeseburger without the bun. For dinner, your favorite meat or fish and a salad. I suppose if you want to treat yourself to a sugar-free jello and whipped cream for dessert after dinner, you can (I even found a reference to this in the book where Dr. Atkins says it's permissible).

I tried the Atkins chocolate shake for the first time a few weeks ago (just needed a change for breakfast) and think they are delicious. But, again, I would wait until after induction. Just so you know, bacon rinds are zero carbs and crunchy (and now come in many flavors), for those times when you just need something to crunch on.

As far as the net carbs go, yes, you subtract the total fiber grams from the total carbohydrates, in addition to the sugar alcohol. Some people can't tolerate the sugar alcohol, though. I find that if I have more than one piece of the Net Carb candy, I put weight on immediately.

So, anyway, I would stay away from any of the low-carb products out there until after induction.

Theresa[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info Theresa :)

The only Atkins bars I got were the ones that said "This product is appropriate for Induction [Phase 1]"
Other than that I have been sticking to eggs and bacon in the morning, a salad with chicken or tips, and dinner is anything from a burger with no bun so steak tips to chicken etc etc...

I've been keeping a journal so that I stay at 20 carbs a day.

so far so good. 7 days of induction feelin good and down 5lbs woo hoo!

Hi all! Gosh, I'm having the worst time getting started back. I did this before for months without any trouble so why is it so difficult now????:mad: Ok, alot of it is that we've been eating out alot this week because of our schedule. I'm going to hit the grocery store tomorrow and restock all my easy foods (precooked bacon, bagged salad, etc) and restart tomorrow morning with as close to induction as my ostomy can stand. I know if I can just get through the first couple of days I'll be fine.

Tami

RPJS05 ... with the cream cheese and sugar free jello you do put it in the fridge once its mixed, and I use 4 table spoons of cream cheese. I use a hand mixer and it sets just like a mouse....I LOVE IT!

Tami, don't feel bad, I kinda slipped this weekend....dang I have a hard time on the weekends...

I made roast beef yesterday and just couldn't jusify it without mashed potato and gravy..but I at least measured it, which is more than what I would have done a month ago....I had more than my 20 carbs with just that meal alone..(

But I exercised afterwards :)

My cruise is less than 5 months now and I am determined to loose 26lbs before I go. Thats less than 1 1/2 lbs a week ...

When's everyone elses cruises coming up and what are your goals?

Jo

Didn't get on here this morning as we were having computer drama but today has gone really well. I had eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast. You'll find I eat eggs ALOT as we have about 60 hens. For lunch we were out so I got a "low carb" version of a Hardees grilled chicken sandwich. For dinner we had home made taco salads with turkey, onions, tri-colored peppers, jicama, cucumber, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, and buffalo blue cheese dressing.

I know that tomatoes aren't really induction but can anyone tell me if jicama is? I can't find my book anywhere. I'm in the process of going through all my school stuff and sorting out last year verses this year and the book area is sort of chaos at the moment.:rolleyes:

I didn't get to exercise and unless I get yoga done tonight I probably won't but I ran all around the college campus today pushing a stroller so I don't feel too bad. I will make up for it tomorrow I'm sure. We had doctor's appointments in 2 different cities that were 60 miles apart today so I was in the car all day. CRazy, crazy crazy! :rolleyes:

Tami

Well, I was happy to see this revitalized. I just wantto say that after trying other things this year (lo-fat, lo-cal) I went back to Atkins and made my goal.
I am usually a natural food foodie, but I discovered the shakes and bars were great at times when I was running around and didn't have time to eat right. They kept me from going the fast food while driving route.
For me the key to my success was to do induction by the book. I used an online food analysis site to plot my carbs everyday and made a food and exercse plan and stuck to it.

Then I really did cycle through the stages. I had lost weight on Atkins several times, only to plateau before my goal and then gain it back. This time I lost 33 pounds over 7-8 months, taking 2 months to lose the last 5 pounds.

Now I am working at maintenance (a whole two weeks) and being very aware of what I eat. I am amazed that I don't miss having bread with every meal, or potatoes, and have easily substituted lo-carb or whole wheat pasta for regular--or a pasta-cauliflower salad for pasta salad.

Soooo..... keep it up IT WORKS!!!!

[quote name='jocountry']RPJS05 ... with the cream cheese and sugar free jello you do put it in the fridge once its mixed, and I use 4 table spoons of cream cheese. I use a hand mixer and it sets just like a mouse....I LOVE IT!

Tami, don't feel bad, I kinda slipped this weekend....dang I have a hard time on the weekends...

I made roast beef yesterday and just couldn't jusify it without mashed potato and gravy..but I at least measured it, which is more than what I would have done a month ago....I had more than my 20 carbs with just that meal alone..(

But I exercised afterwards :)

My cruise is less than 5 months now and I am determined to loose 26lbs before I go. Thats less than 1 1/2 lbs a week ...

When's everyone elses cruises coming up and what are your goals?

Jo[/QUOTE]
I haven't made it yet, but I definetly will tonight! I tried one of the recipes from the atkins book the last time i was on atkins for a chocolate mousse and it was sooooooooo good.

i've been holding off of making it till i knew for sure i was making it right haha, so thanks joanne!

Hi all- Well, I've been back to close to induction since Monday. I had lots of ostomy drama Monday night because of it but things seem to have mellowed out now so I'm glad I didn't give up and add a starch back in. I'm still waiting for the sweet cravings to go away though so I must not be in ketosis completely yet. I feel better already but baby-man also only got up once last night as opposed to 4-5 the two nights before so hard to tell if it's the WOE or the WOS.:D

I had eggs with mushroomsm peppers and onions cooked in a bit of balsamic vinegar for breakfast and now I'm having a salad with last night's steak and some cheese on top. I found a new favorite dressing from Marzetti's which is buffalo blue cheese. Next time I'll play around and make my own because it does have some corn syrup in it. Blue cheese dressing is easy and then I always have a large bottle of hotsauce because DS uses it like most kids use ketchup.

Buffalo chicken sounds really good too! I make it with unbreaded chicken breast tenders and bake them in the oven because the wings annoy me. They take twice as long to cook and the kids leave half the meat. Hmmm I had chicken on the menu for tomorrow. Guess I know how i'm preparing it.

Tami

I dont have the sticks, however I work at a doctors office and I do a urinalysis on myself ALL the time. Whenever im not feeling 100% I just check it haha..

so are you supposed to have a high amount of ketones?

Archived