Atkins forum

mecb50

Welcome newbie p! I've been on low carb for a year and have lost 45 lbs. Am happy with that as I "cheat" every now and then. Am down now to the last 20 and have decided I MUST start doing some exercise.

So how's everybody doing? Been quiet here.

Didnt lose any this week, but my new jeans seem to fit looser.

Good luck to all of us this week!

Welcome prosephone,

60 pounds by December should be a very reasonable goal. I am working to lose 60 by August, so I am being very strict with no cheats allowed. I am doing Atkins, but also watching my calories (staying between 1200-1500 a day). I am still procrasinating an exercize routine, but am making a habit of doing more trips up and down the stairs and parking further. The last week has been very stressful, so I have been making myself eat something, so my metabolism doesn't slow down. When I am stressed a salad and steak doesn't sound nearly as good as a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios or oatmeal!

Okay Julie, I think you are going to be my new weight loss buddy! I also have to remember to eat a little something every few hours to keep the metabolism up. I am trying to eat every 3 hours but that rarely happens. I am being a bad girl and cheating though. I am going to start Zantrex-3 tomorrow. My Dr. says although it is not the best way to go about getting the metabolism up, it should do the trick and as long as I don't have any ill side-effects it is safe to take as long as I do not take it forever.

Prosephone,

A weight loss buddy is a great idea! Helps keep each other accountable and the more I think about my goal, the better I do. I am trying to visualize my goal before each meal, at night before going to sleep, and when at work (I work as a nanny in a house FULL of homemade goodies and junk food).

I wasn't real good about eating throughout the day yesterday. I had a protein drink for breakfast, but just kind of snacked on nuts and cheese instead of eating a real lunch. I did eat a good dinner, so my calories should be high enough. Once the stress of my surgery is over, I am hoping that I will have my appetite back. The good news is I am losing weight, I just don't want to screw up my metabolism by not eating enough!

If you want to e-mail me instead of posting on the boards, just follow the link below.

Everybody have a great day!

Hi everyone- It's good to see that Atkins board picking up again. I was just watching a news broadcast about a 8 year research study that determined that the low fat diet doesn't work for reducing heart disease or cancer rates in women. They, of course blame the differing types of fat. Not one person said, "Low fat and fat free products are full of sugar which is a problem." I just know that Dr A is up somewhere there laughing his butt off.:D

I've been slacking a bit lately due to the holidays and then a new baby but I'm getting back into this week. I can't do induction very well. I have an ileostomy and just starting induction seems to really throw my electrolites for a curve. Instead I bring one meal at a time on board. I actually do Protein Power so I aim for 7-10 grams of effective carb per meal and about 45 overall. I'm this "" close to making 40 pounds. My goal is to make it by the end of Feb. I should be able to do that and then some but with the new baby my exercise plan is a bit slow.:D He thinks he needs to be held all the time.

That said, one of the best things I've found for kicking up metabolism is exercise. I hurt my shoulder at Thanksgiving moving my Grandma from the car to her wheelchair but before that I was working out 6 days a week. 3 days of cardio and 3 days of pilates and weights. My actual weightloss had slowed a bit BUT my inches lost were dropping like crazy. I'm hoping to get myself back into that schedule as the baby becomes more able to entertain himself and his naptime becomes more steady. I just KNOW that will happen someday.:D

Tami

Julie: You definately need some strong will-power in that house!! I will definately add you to my buddy list, and drop you an email.

Tami: I really have to get into a good exercise routine like yours. I am thinking about joining the Y since it is cheap. I was planning on making out spare room an exercise room but I just found out that a friend will be staying with us for a few months.

prosephone- The Y would be great! I used to go 3 times a week when my kids were in preschool at the YMCA. I had 2 hours to go work out. I'd either swim or take a power yoga class. Unfortunately now that doesn't work out so well since the closest Y is about 30 minutes away. There is a gym and a curves that are closer but they are both closed in the mid afternoon. My DH works midnights and gets up around 2pm so mid afternoon is the time I could actually get away and go.:rolleyes:

We bought an Elliptical Torture Device and a recumbant bike from Walmart. They certainly aren't the top of the line, but they are sturdy and do what we need them to do. I have a formal living room that I never really got around to furnishing completely so half of it is dedicated to the kids' TV stuff and half is our home gym. I have several DVDs for pilates and yoga that I do and I was doing some free weights until I messed up my shoulder moving Grandma. I think it will be some time before I do them again. We also have a pool so in the summer I get lots of water aerobics in. Not now though. Hypothermia blue is not my color.:D

Well, Baby-man is asleep for the moment so I'm going to go jump on the bike while I can.

Tami

I joined eDiets last night. I figure membership and full access to all their extras only cost $160 for the year. So Far it seems to be one of the best purchases I have ever made!

Tami: I just have to talk the hubby into the whole Y idea. I don't see that being all that hard. We also have an elliptical. It was aa cheapo Sears model. It is collecting dust. My knees cannot handle it at all!!

I did tell my friends little girl no when she asked if I wanted to buy GS cookies, and she looked like I had kicked her (I practically raised her until she was 5, so used to me doing anything she wants). I did end up selling 10 boxes to my employer, which means I get to look at them every day! But at least there not at home! I will be putting a lot of cookies into lunch boxes over the next couple months!

I have a comment and or question about Atkins diet. I am a firefighter and have been getting an annual physical for over 30 yrs. I have never had high colesterol. It's always been around 180 total with the good stuff (HDL)around 150. I've been on Atkins for about 60 days, eating lots of eggs,meat,cheese and some lettuse. My colesterol went thru the roof. My Dr. asked me what in the hell I have been eating and I told him I'm on the Atkins diet. He said ,get off of it now. I have lost 30 lbs. by the way..:)
So I am wondering, why can't I stay on the diet until I lose a few more lbs then start eating healthy and get the colesterol back down to normal?

[quote name='fireguy091']I have a comment and or question about Atkins diet. I am a firefighter and have been getting an annual physical for over 30 yrs. I have never had high colesterol. It's always been around 180 total with the good stuff (HDL)around 150. I've been on Atkins for about 60 days, eating lots of eggs,meat,cheese and some lettuse. My colesterol went thru the roof. My Dr. asked me what in the hell I have been eating and I told him I'm on the Atkins diet. He said ,get off of it now. I have lost 30 lbs. by the way..:)
So I am wondering, why can't I stay on the diet until I lose a few more lbs then start eating healthy and get the colesterol back down to normal?[/quote]

People often think "I am on Atkins so I can eat whatever the heck I want if it is allowed on the Atkins diet!". Just because it is allowed on the diet does not mean that it is good for you. I feel that this is why Atkins tends to get a bad reputation. One can't eat bacon everyday and not expect their cholesterol to show it!

Personally, I am sticking to lean meats while on the atkins. I pretty much stick to turkey and chicken products and my meals always contain more veggies than meat.

It is possible to stay on Atkins if your cholesterol is high. Just be sure to watch your cholesterol intake and as well as your carb intake!

Fireguy- I don't know about your cholesterol issue. Mine started out at 174 and then dropped 30 points once I started atkins. I tend to do alot of chicken and fish because I like it but we also do eat burgers, steak and bacon a few times a week. Also I eat eggs nearly every morning BUT I only eat fresh organic free range ones. (Sometimes they're so fresh I have to walk out to the barn and collect eggs before I can have breakfast. :D )

I do think that Atkins is sort of a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing. High cholesterol and heart disease does not run in my family. There are loads of similiar low carb plans that might work better with your cholesterol issues such as Protein Power by Michael Eads and Mary Dan Eades or South Beach. Both focus more on getting good carbs and fats and focus a bit less on saturated fats. I always reccommend that people read Protein Power Life Plan anyway if you're the least bit concerned about cholesterol or Insulin resistance because it's the best description I've ever read for how insulin works in your body and how to avoid insulin resistance.

Tami

Hello Jo and everyone , I been away for a while but I am going
back on Induction 2/12/06 and want to keep in contact with buddies
I need all the support I can get. I do pretty well when I have others
to share ideas and goals with. Anyway good luck to all and lets all be
the biggest losers.

Tim

Hi Tim!

This is the second try. Sorry if it shows up twice!

I started back on quasi-induction today. I have an ileostomy and if I start back into full induction right away it gives me all sorts of drama and grief.:rolleyes: So for the first several days this week I'll keep one starch in my diet. Tonight it will be a low carb tortilla because we're having burritos. After I adjust to that I can drop the rest of the carbs back to 20 or less and do fine. I lost 30 doing atkins/SB a little over a year ago and have maintained it while taking care of some family emergencies and now a new baby. However, I'm very close to making my 40 pound mark and I still would like to lose another 50 or so overall so. So, now that grandma and her hip are healing and settled in close to us where she can get good care and the baby is starting to sleep for more than an hour at a time I can give this the attention that it needs.

Hello Everyone, Hi Tim!

I am just back myself....lol....I had to reformat my computer and lost the link, I am so glad I finally found you guys....

Ok, I have managed to do quite well, and am down a grand total of 13lbs and absolutely thrilled about it.. ! ( patting myself on the back..lol).

I tend to loose 2lbs, then sit for 2 weeks then drop 1lb then sit for 2 weeks then drop 2lbs...lol........whatever.....I can feel the inches coming off and my clothes are at least a size smaller so its working and I am happy.

I am really going to try to check in daily, cause I need the accountability..lol

Hi everyone! I did pretty well last week but seem to be a bit stuck this week. I've been drinking a homemade low carb smoothy in the mornings since Baby-man has been fussy and I think that's my issue even though I was still under 25 carbs a day. He had shots on Monday and has been a crank ever since. :eek: Up until this morning it was smoothy or no breakfast at all. However, I'm back up 2 pounds which makes ME CRANKY so today I made an omelet and had my son hold him until I got it eaten. I'm going to stay under 20 carbs for the next 3-4 days and try to break below 200. I'm at 202 now. Wish me luck!

Tami

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't stopped by in quite a while.:o

I had a heck of a time getting motivated
to get back on track after my December cruise.
Through the middle of Jan. I actually gained about 15 pounds
after losing 85 pounds before my cruise.

Well, I'm finally back on track and have lost those
pounds I gained and more.

I'm now down 94 pounds and shooting for a
110 pound total loss before my May cruise
and 120 pounds before my June cruise.:D

It sure is a lot harder to get on track
than to stay on track.:rolleyes:

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=6][COLOR=purple]Reggie ;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Reggie....I am sort of in the same situation. Haven't stopped by here in a really long time. I loved this thread and really need the support I get from everyone here!

I haven't been around much since last April. While we were on the April cruise we were in an accident so my life was kind of crazy for three months after that. Then I had to have a hysterectomy in Sept. so life was crazy again for a while. Gained some (but not a lot), Lost some (but not a lot), and then gained some more (but not a lot)....but I want to lose a lot....so I am trying to get back on track!

This week I have been doing the Atkins Advantage shakes and then just a small green salad with chicken. I really like that so far. I have lost 5.5 lbs this week. I had not tried the shakes before. In previous years when doing Atkins I would stick with "real food" (meat, cheese, eggs, etc.) but just felt this time I needed to do it a little differently. So I have tried to stick to the shakes and then just a small salad w/ chicken, etc.

Do you guys use the shakes? What do you think of them? Pros/Cons, etc?

Hi Everyone!

Skiiergirl, I use the Atkins shakes everyday...I usually have one for breakfast...or lunch...either or.

I use those and the Advantage bars...they save my life.....Then I have chicken or fish, or 100% beef burger with salad....thats pretty much my diet...lol

I wouldn't be able to do it though without the shakes and bars....I actually like the taste too!...The other thing is the sugar free jello and cream cheese...omg....what a treat and only 1carb per serving!!!..I love it!

I am slowing down, only one lb over 3 wks...but total loss 14lbs....I can really feel it in my clothes....down almost two sizes for sure.....I'm happy.

Hope all is well with every one else!

• 4 months later...
First off, hello! :)

I've been on atkins before, and lost about 15lbs. I've managed to gain it back.. those darn carbs. But I am back again! It seems to work for me.

I just started induction this past Saturday.. so far so good. I've managed to avoid pizza and cake at a birthday party hahaha

I didn't see much about atkins in the threads, then I was glad to find this one! I've read a few posts and it looks like you are all quite an encouraging group.

Im curious to know what you all do when you get a sweet tooth? So far I've been trying to drink just water with all meals and savoring my sugar-free gum and diet sprite when i need something sweet (its the only diet soda i like).

Any suggestions? Im not sure how long the gum and diet sprite thing will last haha

also, i've read that its good to either have 3 meals a day, or 5 small meals a day. i usually have about 2-3 meals and 2 snacks, do you think thats ok to do?

thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone,

Well, my last post was in March and I had lost 14lbs.

I am very sad to say I lost my dear mother in April. She was 86 and lived a wonderful life, but you are never ready, no matter how old your mom is, to lose her.

There's not a day goes by I don't still miss her. I am the "baby" of the family so had a special relationship with my mom for 52 years :)

I tend to eat under stress so needless to say, I have gained back my 14lbs and more.

So here I am ready to start over............I had my first good day yesterday so just need to get back in the "zone".

I hope everyone else is doing well :)

Jo.

hi all! Glad to see people posting here again! I hover somewhere between atkins and Southbeach. Personally, since I don't load up on red meat and bacon I can't find much of a real difference. :rolleyes: Shh... don't tell the hard core people I said that!

I haven't made much progress since my last post here. Maybe another 6 or 7 pounds lost. too busy with the new baby and all! However, I've really been kicking it up with exercise the past several weeks and I'm easing back into the long term weight loss portion. I can't really do induction because it makes me have problems with my ostomy. I have to ease my way down the carb scale. Anything below about 45-50 carbs can give me fits. Fortunately just cutting out sugar, white foods and processed stuff usually gives me the oomph I need. I'm interested to see how it goes this time because I've cut out diet soda.

Rpjs- Try adding a couple of packets of splenda to 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese. Then use some flavor like a splash or lemon juice, vanilla or chocolate extract and stir it up. It's a SB dessert but still fairly low in carbs. I think you can also have sugar free jello with some real whipped cream. Go to [url]www.foodnetwork.com[/url] and look under shows for Low carb and lovin it. George has tons of recipes.

Jo- So sorry to hear about your mother. It's tough. i've been caring for my 89 year old Grandma for about 18 months now. It's stressful when things happen to them.
Tami

Hey Tami..
Long time "no see" (I usually post on the Nov. thread).
I couldn't agree with you more about SB and Atkins...
I've been playing around with different plans since January when I stalled and also was stuck in house w/broken foot after surgery (still haven't been able to exercise much).
Hope you're doing well. What's happening w/your "new addition" <baby>
Please fill me in.
Carolyn

[quote name='adoptmom']hi all! Glad to see people posting here again! I hover somewhere between atkins and Southbeach. Personally, since I don't load up on red meat and bacon I can't find much of a real difference. :rolleyes: Shh... don't tell the hard core people I said that!

I haven't made much progress since my last post here. Maybe another 6 or 7 pounds lost. too busy with the new baby and all! However, I've really been kicking it up with exercise the past several weeks and I'm easing back into the long term weight loss portion. I can't really do induction because it makes me have problems with my ostomy. I have to ease my way down the carb scale. Anything below about 45-50 carbs can give me fits. Fortunately just cutting out sugar, white foods and processed stuff usually gives me the oomph I need. I'm interested to see how it goes this time because I've cut out diet soda.

Rpjs- Try adding a couple of packets of splenda to 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese. Then use some flavor like a splash or lemon juice, vanilla or chocolate extract and stir it up. It's a SB dessert but still fairly low in carbs. I think you can also have sugar free jello with some real whipped cream. Go to [url]www.foodnetwork.com[/url] and look under shows for Low carb and lovin it. George has tons of recipes.

Jo- So sorry to hear about your mother. It's tough. i've been caring for my 89 year old Grandma for about 18 months now. It's stressful when things happen to them.
Tami[/QUOTE]
Thanks Tami! I totally forgot about sugarfree jello.. and I know cream is allowed somewhat, but I glanced at the whip cream carbs [i find myself checking everythings carb count] while making my daughter a sundae last night. And I hadn't put 2 and 2 together [whipped.................. cream. haha] i was SO excited to see that it was only 2g carbs!! Even if its only a tablespoon or so, that might help with cravings.

thanks again :)

And Jo, i am new here.. but I just wanted to say Im very sorry for your loss.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I apologize if I am posting too much! (Im new to the thread and cruisecritic itself)[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But...[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]1) Nobody I know has ever done atkins, except my mother, once...[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]and [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]2)I had the book, but havent been able to find it. I have so many questions![/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I remember from doing atkins before, the weight loss during induction is pretty significant. Then after the 2 weeks the weight loss had started to slow down alot.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]What can you usually expect to lose during induction, and then what is average loss after that 2 week period? Personal experiences with you all is what I am looking for.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Also, I apologize if this question has already been asked. Im not sure if there is a way to start a thread within a thread either. So hopefully I am posting this correctly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In advance - Thank you so much for any feedback![/FONT]

Archived