Atkins forum

mecb50

[quote name='mecb50']Julie, Wow...we started back at the same time. I did Atkins for a year and a half and I lost 85 pounds . I stopped and gained it all back. This is now my second week back and I do feel so much better. We are going to do it for good this time. Good Luck and share those recipies. Mary
PS There is one out there that I have never tried for a legal dessert they say is fabulous. it has ricotta cheese , splenda and flavoring. Does anyone have the recipie? Thanks. Mary[/QUOTE]

Mary,

We WILL do it for good this time! Last time I set me goal too low and when I stalled and couldn't seem to go any lower, I started skipping meals and getting my calories so low my metabolism was messed up. Of course I got discouraged and went back to my old way of eating. This time my goal is to just get healthier, no specific weight goal beyond getting to a healthy weight.

I will try and post a couple recipes tomorrow. One thing I do to make a simple easy dessert is mix 4-8 ounces of cream cheese (depending on size of jello box) into the sugar-free jello while it's hot. Stir until it's dissolved and then refrigerate until cool. Sometimes I also mix in some finely chopped nuts and a some berries as well. It's really yummy and adds some protein to the jello, so it's more filling.

Yum,

I just made some sugar free jello (I didn't know I could have that!) and mixed it with 3 tablespoons of light cream cheese...

Do you know how many servings it is, or how many carbs etc?

Sorry to be a pain, but it is much appreciated..lol

thanks,
Joanne.

[quote name='jocountry']Yum,

I just made some sugar free jello (I didn't know I could have that!) and mixed it with 3 tablespoons of light cream cheese...

Do you know how many servings it is, or how many carbs etc?

Sorry to be a pain, but it is much appreciated..lol

thanks,
Joanne.[/QUOTE]

Joanne,

I use regular cream cheese and it is 1 carb per tablespoon. Sorry, not sure about the light cream cheese, sometimes the "light" versions have more carbs because of the fillers thay use. I would check the back of the package to be sure. The size of the serving is up to you. SF jello has no carbs, so if you want each serving to be 1 carb, do 3 servings or 1/2 carb for 6 servings.

Mary,
You CAN do it for good this time if you put your mind to it....
the reason I know is that I went for my pre-op appt today and had them pull my chart from my prior pre-op... that was when I was starting (or a month into) maintaining my "hold" weight.... Jan. 2000.... I'm EXACTLY the same... ok I've had a slide 2 years ago of the creeping 10 but I caught it. I'm NOT exercising much.... actually the last 6 months I was lucky to go for 1/2 hr 2 times week...
the weight didn't come off overnight and when I do maintain I'm not "perfect"... but I try to catch myself within 3-4 days.
Good luck.
Carolyn

Hi everyone, Just a quicky post to let everyone know that we got home very late last night with the new baby. I'm very tired but happy to report that he's happy and healthy. I'm also happy to say that despite 6 of the 7 days spent in the car, every meal in a restaurant and those lovely hotel continental breakfasts I'm only up 1 pound.:D I'll post more when my brain is functioning.

Tami

Tami,
Congrats on the new baby... was this the one you've been waiting a long time for and why you were going to Miami.
Catch rest whenever you can and only 1 lbs... cut yourself some slack... you've got a new baby...MOM!!!
Best of luck,
Carolyn

Tami, congrats new baby and only 1 pound.
I'm going shopping today to pick up some cream cheese and sugar free jello to try and make that dessert. Hope everyone is doing well. I have been faithful, except for overindulging in pistasceo (sp?) nuts. Here's to another good week coming:D Carolyn, I sent you and email, I hope you got it. Meeting in May sounds great. Mary

Here's the recipe for the low carb Muffins for anyone that is interested. They make a great "on the go" breakfast. Carb count for the basic recipe of 12 muffins is 4 per muffin including fiber, 3 if you subtract fiber. [B]These tend to stick to the pan so either use DeMarle type muffin pan (I LOVE these) or use muffin liners AND spray them with Pam.[/B]

[B]Almond Muffins[/B]-Taste and consistancy of pound cake

Pre-heat oven to 350

1 stick butter (1/2 cup) softened
8 ounces cream cheese softened
5 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup Splenda (depends on how sweet you like them)
1 cup vanilla whey protein powder (carb count varies, mine was 15 for a cup)
1 cup almond flour (Bob's Red Mill makes this, or you can make your own by grinding almonds in the blender or food processor until fine)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract (or whatever flavor you are going for)

Blend butter, cream cheese and Splenda with mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each egg. Mix together dry ingredients in seperate bowl and then add to butter/cream chees mixture. Mix well, then add vanilla and lemon extract and blend. Pour into muffin pan and bake 20-30 minutes until they feel firm like a cake.

I usually add other ingredients to change the taste around. Here's some suggestions: unsweetened coconut (also by Bob's Red Mill) and a little pineapple finely chopped. Blueberry, raspberry, chocolate (using chocolate protein powder and unsweetened chocolate powder). Orange/Pecan with orange extract, orange peel and chopped pecans.

Another use I have found for this recipe is as a base for special occasion low-carb desserts (carb and calorie count can get higher than I want for everyday).

[B]Low carb Torte[/B]
Pour the batter into a wax paper lined spring form pan and bake it until done. Let cool and then split layers, putting bottom layer back in pan, and fill between layers with your choice of fillings. I've used the SF Jello/cream cheese combination with fresh or frozen berries, SF pudding, made it as a low carb Tiramisu, etc. after assembling the torte in the pan, give it a chance to "set" up and then remove the sides and decorate with some whip cream. Family and friends love it and have no idea they are eating something low carb and sugar free.

I hope you have a chance to try some of these recipes and enjoy them!

Hi everyone! Hope all had some weight loss this past week.

After getting back on the diet, lost 6lbs this week! YAY, and it wasnt as hard as I thought to get back on track.

Going to make that jello-cream cheese dessert today.

Going shoping- Dillards is having a sale- just want to get one pair of black slacks and a couple of tops and a paid of jeans that fit.

Happy dieting to all!

vicki

ok, I am LOVING that sugarfree jello cream cheese dessert.........to die for.....definatley satifiies that sweet tooth..........I put 4 tablespoons in per box and devide it into 4 portions.... its just enough, thanks so much for that recipie...

I am now ending week two and I have lost 8lbs ...yippeeeeeeee!!!!!

I am thrilled....I haven't felt like I am missing anything at all.

pugsbest, I live in Canada and I can't find Bobs redmill almond flour...

any idea what I can use to substitute, cause it sounds yummy!

Good luck to everyone, and please keep all the recipes coming!!

Jo :)

Vicki and Jo, Congrats on your progress. I go to the doctors on Sat so we will see how much I lost. I think at least 10 pounds. I too loved that jello dessert. I put the same ingredients together. The only problem is my family ate 1/2 of it! Everyone keep up the good work. Mary

Congratulations Vicki and good luck today Mary.

My next hurdle is getting started with drinking the water...haven't mastered that yet....I don't even think about it actually...lol

Then once I overcome that one I will focus on the exercise...babysteps..LOL

Have a great week everyone!

JO :)

Jo,

You can order the almond meal/flour online at [url]http://www.bobsredmill.com/[/url] there is also a store finder on the web site. You can also make it yourself by grinding up almonds in the blender or food processor until fine. Just keep stirring and stop before you have almond butter!

Here are 2 other good recipes:

[B][U]Crockpot Hungarian Goulash[/U][/B]

2 pounds stew meat
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 (14 1/2 oz can tomotoes)
1 cup sour cream

Put stew meat, onions and garlic in crock pot and mix in flour to coat. Add remaining ingredients, except sour cream, and stir together. Cook on low 8-10 hours and high for 4-5. 30 minutes before serving add sour cream and stir in thooughly.

6 servings with 7 carbs, 1 carb fiber.

This is a stir-fry recipe that I play with quite a bit. I make up rice for the non-Atkins, but I just put it in a bowl and yumm!

[B][U]Ginger chicken stir fry[/U][/B]

Package of boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 tsp grated ginger root
soy sauce
lemon or orange peel
lemon or orange juice
olive, sesame, or peanut oil ( a couple tablespoons)

Put above ingredients into zip lock bag (enough soy sauce to coat chicken, and other ingredients to your preference. I like a lot of flavor, so use quite a bit). Marinate a few hours or overnight.

Cook chicken in wok or frypan until just done, be sure not to overcook it. Remove chicken and set aside.

Olive, sesame or peanut oil
fresh grated ginger root
1 cup bean sprouts
1 red pepper
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion
pea pods, water chestnuts, nuts, whatever you like

Put a couple tablespoons of your choice of oil into wok/fry pan and add grated ginger root. Add onions and pepper and cook until almost starting to brown (or your preference). Add other vege's and allow to cook a few more minutes until done. Return chicken to vege's until re-heated.

I sometimes add some peanut butter and peanuts, or unsweetened coconut milk for different tastes. You can also add a little corn starch mixed with water to make the sauce thicker.

One other thing that helped me with drinking water. I keep my water in a large (32 ounce) insulated bottle with a straw. I make sure there is lots of ice, since I read that your body has to use more calories to warm the water, and I like it cold. At first, to get myself drinking the water, I added a little lemon juice and splenda, so it tasted good. I keep my "bottle" with me just about everywhere and drink from it continuosly, through out the day refilling as necessary. I usually manage to drink between 96 and 128 ounces a day. I also notice that the more I drink the more I lose.

Congrats on everyone's loss. I'm down 2 more pounds.

Got a nice pair of jeans--size 14! wooohooo--goal is to be back in a size 10.

Have to start drinking more water myself.

I didnt like the cream cheese jello dessert- guess I'm wierd.

A good little snack is sugar free peanut butter stuffed into a celery stick--very filling. We buy the low carb p butter.

Also jumbo black olives stuffed with blue cheese--mmmm good.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Congrats iluvdoxies on your new jeans...whoo hooooooo...way to go!!

I love it when I am in the zone....it is so hard to get there is nothing like it especially when your hard work pays off and you start to see results...

I am still at 8lbs...but I am hoping to see a drop over the next couple of days....It would be nice to get to 10 and drop to another weight break...LOL

good luck everyone and have a great weekend!

Jo :)

Just thought I would give an update. I lost 15 pounds during the first four weeks ( so says my MD). I feel a lot better and am still on induction. Can anyone tell where to find and where they are found in the market...****ake noodles. I looked at my local Stop and Shop and couldn't find any, but I don't know if I looked in the correct area. Thanks, Mary

Hi all! My name is Jess and I am 26. I am starting a very low carb diet (very close to atkins) on Tuesday. Tomorrow is my splurge day to eat all the goodies I am giving up. My husband and I are booking our Pride of Hawaii tomorrow for Dec 11 of this year. Ideally, I would love to drop 100lbs. I am thinking my weight loss goal for the cruise will be 60lbs (that is an average of 1.5 a week). I feel that is not an unreasonable goal. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Archived