Monarch 4 night cruise question

I have read that on the 3 night Monarch cruise that the sea day the ship really just "floats" most of the day.

On the 4 night cruise because the distance of travel is not that great does the ship go real slow but keep moving the whole time? or does it travel at normal pace then "float" for hours until its time to move into port?

sorry about the strange way of asking this but i think you know what i'm asking... thanks for any feedback!

We have done both the three night and the four night, and it is true that on the three night you stay stationary for awhile. But on the four night the ship is continually moving. Enjoy your trip, the Monarch is a great ship and the crew is awesome.

I'm not sure what beachdude is referring to about "rolling" as the Monarch has stabilizers. The 4 night trip runs on the slow bell from San Pedro to San Diego, then on to Catalina Island, and then with some speed on to Ensenada. Sometimes coming back from Ensenada, the Monarch bucks the currant...........and there is a bit motion. While it may bother some, it just seems to put me to sleep.

Rick

Went on the Monarch 4 day last October! It was a wonderful cruise, and we kept moving the entire time. The only night it was a bit rough was the last night home from Ensenada. You'll have a great time! It was fun to watch the crew work as you prepare to leave each port...since she has an open bow, you get to watch all the activity. Very interesting!

Thanks for the great responses folks! I'm not worried so much about the "motion of the ocean" for me as much as I am for my girlfriend. It's her first cruise & we are deck 4 inside cabin, towards front of the ship. I think she'll be fine but it's better for me to know what may lie ahead of us for her sake.

thanks again!

I did this cruise last December and my cabinmate also has some motion issues. She wore a Transcope patch and was fine until the last night (the run back from Ensenada). Personally, I think it's because she changed patches on Thursday morning and took a Bonine because she could feel the movement, thereby overmedicating herself. Consequently, it was a rough night for her. I'm prone to motion sickness, but never had a problem ... and I took no medication the entire cruise.

If your friend is going to use a patch, you might suggest that she keep the same one on for the entire cruise and just use Bonine if she starts to feel queasy. Hopefully, she'll be having too much fun to even notice her stomach!

Have a great cruise! I'm back on the Monarch the week before you.

I'm not sure what beachdude is referring to about "rolling" as the Monarch has stabilizers. The 4 night trip runs on the slow bell from San Pedro to San Diego, then on to Catalina Island, and then with some speed on to Ensenada. Sometimes coming back from Ensenada, the Monarch bucks the currant...........and there is a bit motion. While it may bother some, it just seems to put me to sleep.

Rick

By rolling I meant an up and down sort of a movement. I felt the movement a lot during the entire cruise, not just that last stretch. It was just a little worse on the last night, but every day it was rolling(other then the first day)

I take a bonine the minute I step on board and one every morning....why chance it? I have no side effects from the bonine, and never give it a second thought!

same here... just got home from buying another box fro my cruise this next week! :D

I did this cruise last December and my cabinmate also has some motion issues. She wore a Transcope patch and was fine until the last night (the run back from Ensenada). Personally, I think it's because she changed patches on Thursday morning and took a Bonine because she could feel the movement, thereby overmedicating herself. Consequently, it was a rough night for her. I'm prone to motion sickness, but never had a problem ... and I took no medication the entire cruise.

If your friend is going to use a patch, you might suggest that she keep the same one on for the entire cruise and just use Bonine if she starts to feel queasy. Hopefully, she'll be having too much fun to even notice her stomach!

Have a great cruise! I'm back on the Monarch the week before you.

Listen to "Ladylawsyer" she is "crusin-queen"

On the Monarch 4-night cruise, there are no "sea days", therefore you won't be drifting with the tide (as you do on 3-night cruises).

The night you return from Ensenada, you may find the waters a little bit rockier, due to currents in that area, so best to be prepared and find some medicine that works to alleviate sea-sickness. This also depends, in large part, what time of year you will be cruising. Summer is much better than Winter.:D

Archived