To you that sailed on the Regal

Sea and Me

We are considering the 10 day San Francisco round trip to Alaska. Is the Regal the only ship that does this trip?? Hubby would like a newer ship but likes the idea of sailing from San Francisco. To those of you that have sailed Regal what are the pros and cons. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you;)

We've been on the Regal three times, most recently 3-9/22-06, 'round the Horn, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.

Nice sized ship, fairly large cabins with good storage space, simple deck plan (hard to get lost), dedicated movie theater, and a good rider in heavy seas, should you hit rough water.

Some consider lack of full wraparound Promenade a downside (I don't), and some miss the alternative restaurants found on newer ships. Main show lounge does not have the most-up-to-date sound/lighting equipment, but I think what they have is adequate.

I'm sorry she is leaving the fleet - I like her bettter than the megaships of the Grand class.

I did the Regal twice. Once to Alaska from San Francisco and a 15 day round trip from LA to Hawaii. Looking forward to another 15 days to Hawaii during the summer of 2007. The Regal is the perfect size ship and is NOT too old!

My wife and I just returned from the Regal Wednesday the 19th. We enjoyed the time we were onboard her. As the poster above stated, the rooms seemed to be larger than the other ships we have sailed on. We found the food to be standard mainstream cruise line food. That is to say quality food, well prepared and presented. The staff was attentive and pleasant. She is smaller than the new mega ships and that has its own charm. We didn't miss the "upscale" dining options and liked the dine - in pizzeria restaurant. If you have other specific questions, post them and I will try and monitor this thread.

We are considering the 10 day San Francisco round trip to Alaska. Is the Regal the only ship that does this trip?? Hubby would like a newer ship but likes the idea of sailing from San Francisco. To those of you that have sailed Regal what are the pros and cons. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you;)

All pros, no cons. Book it.

Seriously, the age of the ship really doesn't matter in this case because Regal Princess was almost completely refurbished in 2000. The ship definitely is a traditional ship and provides a traditional experience (sans newly devised amenities). If that's OK with you, you should be fine.

Regal is a Grand Lady! We were on her 15 days LA - Hawaii RT. It feels like you have stepped back in time and get an idea of what the old ocean liner days were like - lots of wood and traditional furnishings. Loved her!

I will be on the Regal, June 15th to 25th. To Alaska. I have read everything good and bad about her. To me because I'm new to cruising, I am nervous. But very excited to go. I think no matter what ship/cruiseline you choose there are going to be people who love it or hate it. Any thread with the Regal in it, you can read the good, the bad, and the ugly about what people think. But just remember these are their thoughts not yours. I will make up my mind when I go. Then I will be one of them!:p I am very glad she is on the small side:D I don't think I could handle a large ship with lots of people. I like smaller affairs much better. Just had to put my 2 cents in. Thanks

We have a number of CC ers on the May 16th cruise; seems we all like the idea of San Francisco roundtrip. We have been on Regal 3 times and find we enjoy the feeling of the ships in the 90's.............we have cruised onthe sister ship which is out of the fleet.......to the Baltic and we found all the of the ship terrific. We are elite members of Princess and we enjoy the smaller ships. We are committed Princess cruisers so we never have a bad cruise......................so you will not hear a bad review of any of the Princess ships. We sailed the STAR on a transatlantic 16 months ago and totally enjoyed every minute..................Bon Voyage.............sailinsal

Thanks to all of you that replied:) I think that we will be doing the San Francisco round trip to Alaska next May or June. We enjoy being on the smaller ships too, the bigger is not always the better. I enjoyed the posts and the Alaska review and photos. Thank you all again you made our decision easy. Happy cruising!!;)

Have read all the reports.

Regal sounds "just my cup of tea". As of 6a.m I am booked on her for Aug 2007 LA to Sydney, yes its is a very long way ahead, but I was unable to book the Sapphire trip this year because it was all sold out and with a 401 wait list!

My TA did the booking at 6a.m. , she is very good in deed. I am a very lucky and happy cruiser

The next sound you hear is my heart breaking that Regal is leaving the fleet.:(

Seriously, she is a great ship. Beware that the first 2 days out of SFO may be "bumpy" due to the currents, but Regal sails better than the larger ships. I actually look forward to some bumpiness.

Archived