ChairHog kicked me!

Jimsgirl

Disambarkation Ft Lauderdale April 17th: My time off was 9.15 but to aid my steward I left my cabin at 8.00, went as ordered to public area (Deck 5 Atrium Lounge) Crowded with people, some standing , saw a group seating for 5, occupied by a couple with one carry on bag beside them, I went to the empty seats,told "You can't sit there, we are saving them for our friends, who HAVE GONE FOR BREAKFAST"

I looked around and remarked "Saving seats is a no -no especially at disembarkation, I am here they are not" and sat down, adding, "If they come in the next 10 mins I will leave and let them have the seats"

Well said couple spent next 10 mins haranging me without mercy, my birth, my parents, my lack of aducation - you name they covered it. Male informed me he was "a graduate engineer , this is our 7th cruise and we have never heard of not being able to save seats" (not sure what being a "graduate engineer" has to do with saving seats)

I said "sorry the 10 mins is up, and I have done 40 cruises, and every ship from least expensive to the highest costs all have the same rule, I am staying"

Whereupon Male raised his size 12 foot and KICKED me "How do you like that now leave"

Well I suppose I should have called security, but instead said "If you do that again I will kick you back, in the soft spot between your legs and you can see how you like THAT"

Female became all hysterical, saying "You have completely ruined out vacation you are a rude, ignorant horrible person" and rushed away, he added a few more scurrilous remarks about my parentage and then left taking their one carry on bag with them.

Immediately a couple my own age (which is very senior I might add), scuttled into the vacant seats, they said they had tried to sit at that table before but had been ordered off by aggressive couple. I asked "why did you leave" to be told "we did not want any trouble"!!!!

I suppose the moral of all this is that " Bad behaviour will prevail if we allow it without protest" It is up to all of us not only to observe the rules of the ship, but to take action when others deliberately break them for their own selfish ends

I wouldn't have even asked why he kicked me - I would have just kicked him in the "soft spot" so hard that he would have had an imprint of my size-7 Champion sneaker. I've hit someone there before and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the need arose.

Love to know what his major malfunction was...

I am so sorry you had to sit and take the abuse, Why must people be so mean, i guess they are so unhappy, that they must make everyone around them unhappy. On out last cruise there were crew members at the door telling us where we had to sit and if you got up and left, they refilled the seat right away.

I suppose the moral of all this is that " Bad behaviour will prevail if we allow it without protest" It is up to all of us not only to observe the rules of the ship, but to take action when others deliberately break them for their own selfish ends

These people were despicable and arrogant, but you really should have called security at once the minute the Neanderthal kicked you. That was assault, pure and simple. It could have quickly escalated.

I'm certain the man uses physical force to resolve many of his frustrations. I actually pity his wife, because she may have feared an escalation based on her own expereince with the brute. Her behavior was to protect herself. She was "afraid." I'm sorry she aimed her fear at you. The "man" is the consummate barbarian in this incident.

Security should have been called. That man should never be allowed on another ship.

Absolutely unacceptable! I know 5 year olds who know better than to kick people when they are angry. You are such a better person than I because he would have regretted ever laying a "foot" on me! Security would have been the least of his problems.

I don't know how you kept your composure! I have no patience for people with attitudes like that. I probably would have just kicked him where it counts, and given him no warning.

No, give warning by asking if they know the capital of Thailand? Bangkok!:D

No, give warning by asking if they know the capital of Thailand? Bangkok!:D

ROTFLMBO!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!

Seriously, though... I'm wondering now if this man might be abusive to his wife as well. Generally men who strike one woman hold all women in contempt. I speak from experience with a couple.

WOW...what a nasty experience! People like this should be held accountable for their actions or they will just continue to do them when they don't get their way. Assault is just that...unprovoked assault of your body by another person. It's also against the law. I'd have called security, insisted that he be detained til the Lauderdale police could be called and then sworn out a warrant against him. Maybe then he'd think twice about physically abusing a stranger, and by your admission, an older one at that. Much as I'd also liked to have kicked him where it hurts, I don't think it helps to stoop to his level. Legal retribution is so much sweeter!

Bullies will always be bullies, but we shouldn't have to just take it at any age, and they shouldn't just get away with it. By the way OP, I used to live in PGI. Cheers, Penny

With out getting into many of the details this scum's actions could have caused him more problems than he knows! If you were at an american port, and not at sea an assault charge by you may have detained him for some time, perhaps caused him to miss his plane, etc...who knows. The way I see it he got off easy. It is my educated guess that the crew would have handed him over to Port Police. I have had to deal with persons that have been removed from planes for their behavior and it is not very pleasant for them. You had great restraint!

I just read this thread aloud to DH - his response was to roll his eyes and say "Oh God, Ger, please don't let that ever happen to you ... there will be an international incident. If that boor was Canadian, you'd drag him back across OUR border and nail his hide in the Canadian courts." I'm a Justice of the Peace and just the mere thought of somebody assaulting a traveller - a woman, a senior, and particularly on a cruise ship where people go to relax and get away from their daily cares really rankles me. You exercised far more restraint than I would have - I applaud you!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Kudos to you. Hold your head up high and be proud. When that couple goes home and says they had a horrible time, you can take a bow. Amazing how at the end of the cruise it becomes ruined because people just don't know how to chill out. They must be super stressed and apparently the vacation did not relax them any.

nah. that wouldn't be good because they were in port. For me, knowing I ruined there vacation within the 10 minutes that I was sitting down would just about double my enjoyment of the cruise. Its amazing how many people on a cruise are so uptight. If everyone didn't save seats in the hope of someone they know to sit down next to them, there would be plenty of seats for everyone.

Bullies will always be bullies, but we shouldn't have to just take it at any age, and they shouldn't just get away with it. By the way OP, I used to live in PGI. Cheers, Penny

Bully wasn't the description that came into my mind when I read OP's experience.

I was thinking MCP --- male chauvinist pig---:mad: Bet I get bleeped or flamed for that, but men who abuse women, both verbally and physically, are inexcusable and should be punished.

Dianne

Archived