• 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks
    • 5 weeks
    • 6 weeks
    • 7 weeks
    • 8 weeks
    • 9 weeks

I've heard that it takes some people up to six weeks, but since we've been a military family, we have always had passports and we get them renewed right away because we are overseas a lot visiting family (Scotland and Belgium).

My daughter's child passport expired, so we had to get her a full adult passport this time. It's just like getting one for the first time. It took exactly 6 weeks from the time it was processed at our courthouse.

Our passports come through Philadelphia......different time frames from different offices.

Take Care,

Jaime

Ours took 3 weeks, but we got them several years ago.

It is not unusual for two people within the same family to get them processed at different rates of time. Sometimes they go to different processing centers, sometimes the names have to be further investigated. If there is a person out there with the same name as you that has had any problems with the law (including past child support or traffic tickets) they may investigate the name further, to make sure you aren't the offender.

As a Passport Agent, (U.S.P.S.) we have most recently been advised by the Department of State to tell our customers that the normal processing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Yes, I have had customers who have received them in 3 to 4 weeks, but I recently had a customer who was chomping at the bit because it had been almost 8 weeks since we submitted his application, and his departure was less than a week away. (he received it the next day) The Department of State has moved back the start dates once already, and may do so again, but the bottom line is that we are all going to need Passports in the very near future, so it would be wise to get yours now and not have to pay that additional $60.00 EXPEDITE fee to process it more quickly! I have added the latest information on Passport Requirements from the Department of State Website.

New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

• December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement

I applied and paid for "expedited delivery" and rec'd my passport in 2 weeks (10 working days)

The costs were:

$67 for Passport

$60 for "expedited service"

$30 to Post Office for processing

$28 for Express Mail envelopes (2).......one to send the passport application and one to mail it back to me

Total cost for a "quick" passport in 2 weeks = $185

(that's just about double the cost of a regular passport application.....but the cruise was a last minute decision...and I decided I wanted the 'security' of a passport......I look at it as an investment in my future! :D

You can quickly check you passports status @

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

MOST EXCELLENT LINK!!! Thank you!!!!

FYI I sent off my old passport and new photos just this week....my passport expires in September and even though I'm not sailing until November, I didn't want to put it off. Besides, I cannot finish filling out my Fun Pass on carnival.com without the new passport!!!

Archived