Another dining room attire question......

Fun~N~Sun

I did not put this back on YOU! It was not YOU who I apologized too. It was a general statment with an apology! Chill!

My "child" will always be my "child" not matter how old my "child" is. He may not need me to ask strangers questions but I did and believe me I am sorry I did. He will wear what he wants, when he wants, where he wants, because he is an individual who ultimately makes his own decisions. But, since he does respect my opinions and advice, he will sometimes ask and I was hoping to have an answer to give him along with some other opinions. Now what is wrong with that?

NOTHING was wrong with that, but you didn't want others opinions!!!! You got ticked off at anyone who had a different opinion than you had! Nothing wrong with asking for opinions, just be prepared to hear ALL of them, not just the ones you want to hear.

He has no problem with money or the women. He is very clean and neat and respectful.

To answer your orginal question again, On Carnival he will look fine and will have a great time at dinner, thats coming from me, a well dressed person.

So dont worry about it, you and your family will look good and have a great time. :)

What cruise are you guys planning on taking? what time frame?

Fred

And you are qualified to make this statement how???? For someone that has never stepped foot on a Carnival cruise, you sure seem to know alot about what things are like on the ship :rolleyes:

To the OP... You obviously asked the question to stir things up, rather than to actually get opinions... since any opinion that doesn't make you happy, you get upset about... the fact that you attacked one of the members here and called them a vulgar name just proves that. I guess if that is the example you are setting for your "child", nobody here should be surprised by what he wants to wear to the formal dining room.

There is nothing that any one can say that can convince me that anything about any part of a Carnival cruise is formal. Just because some Bubbas decide that they can dress up and make themselves look fancy does not make Carnival's dining room formal.

It is the least expensive and one of the lowest rated cruise lines. It provides the same type of cruise experience that Wal-Mart provides for shopping.

Same cliental too, based on all the suggestions to shop at Wal-Mart, smuggle alcohol, etc. Sometimes you have to go to Wal-Mart because nothing else is available.

You can put the bubbas in formal close but that doesn't mean either class or formal.

Thats not true for my 19 & 20 year old daughters , they always point out how nicely the young men look when they are dressed up, and those are the ones they start a conversation with.

My 22 year old daughter who is about to graduate college with a Master's Degree would not agree with your daughters. That's what makes the world go around. And like I said, believe me, my son has no problem with the pretty girls.

There is nothing that any one can say that can convince me that anything about any part of a Carnival cruise is formal. Just because some Bubbas decide that they can dress up and make themselves look fancy does not make Carnival's dining room formal.

How many Carnival Dining rooms have you been in?

It is the least expensive and one of the lowest rated cruise lines. It provides the same type of cruise experience that Wal-Mart provides for shopping.

Yes it might be the least expensive because they can afford to drop the rates due to the many cruise ships they own, what over 40 ships or so? But I wouldnt call Carnival a low rated cruise line. Is it because Celebrity cost more? so the more it cost the better? They got you brain washed.

Quick note: I love shopping at Walmart :D

Same cliental too, based on all the suggestions to shop at Wal-Mart, smuggle alcohol, etc. Sometimes you have to go to Wal-Mart because nothing else is available.

You can put the bubbas in formal close but that doesn't mean either class or formal.

So because someone cruises on Carnival, they are a "bubba"?? And what exactly is this?? I don't shop at Wal Mart (has nothing to do with class... I have a Target that is closer :D), but I do cruise on Carnival. Carnival has a formal dining room... just because it is not what everyone considers formal, does not diminish the fact that they are the host hotel and that is what THEY consider their formal dining room. Why in the WORLD are you even bothering to cruise on Carnival if you have such hostile opinions about the people that choose to cruise Carnival??

The formal dining room has NOTHING to do with the people that eat there... and had you ever cruised on Carnival you would understand that. Basic etiquette tells you what makes it a formal dining room... and had you ever been in a Carnival dining room, you would know what I was talking about. How about waiting until you actually cruise on Carnival before making statements about what it is and what it isn't??? And before classifying their passengers as "Bubbas" :rolleyes:

Hmmm I guess I will say no comment.. :rolleyes:

To answer your orginal question again, On Carnival he will look fine and will have a great time at dinner, thats coming from me, a well dressed person.

So dont worry about it, you and your family will look good and have a great time. :)

What cruise are you guys planning on taking? what time frame?

Fred

Thank you for your kindness. We sail on the Destiny May 28th.

Thank you for your kindness. We sail on the Destiny May 28th.

I would love to sail the Destiny but I think you have to board from San Juan and thats just so far from San Diego. I guess maybe in 08 I could plan that ship. You would think I should go to visit my uncles and aunties lol.

It is the least expensive and one of the lowest rated cruise lines.

The "lowest rated" cruise line, IN YOUR OPINION, is the most popular cruise line in the world (based on the number of guests...fact, not opinion). And it also won more "best of" cruise awards from Fodors this year than any other line.

It's formal "clothes". And YOU have the nerve to make fun of other people???? Get over yourself.

He will not be barred from the dining room dressed as you described. And, sadly he will present better than some others. However why not teach him that different situations require different attire. His Denny's or Outback dress really isn't proper for a semi-formal dining room, even on resort casual or casual nites.

Again if he dresses in his normal rig, he'll look better than some. But he might catch a female eye dressed better.

Dan

I don't appreciate that someone who doesn't know me thinks I haven't taught my children. I have taught and guided but now they are adults and make their own decisions. So far they have both made sound and wise decisions and are both responsible young adults. I am very proud of both of them.

As far as him dressing better....what is better to some may not be better to him or to others. My 22 year old daughter may have a different opinion of a guy she is attracted to than her best friend. One may like the preppy look while the other prefers the more casual look. One may think one looks better than the other. That's what makes the world go around.

And as for catching a female eye.......he has never had a problem with the pretty girls.

I am all about opinions but not insinuations and accusations.

I don't appreciate that someone who doesn't know me thinks I haven't taught my children. I have taught and guided but now they are adults and make their own decisions. So far they have both made sound and wise decisions and are both responsible young adults. I am very proud of both of them.

As far as him dressing better....what is better to some may not be better to him or to others. My 22 year old daughter may have a different opinion of a guy she is attracted to than her best friend. One may like the preppy look while the other prefers the more casual look. One may think one looks better than the other. That's what makes the world go around.

And as for catching a female eye.......he has never had a problem with the pretty girls.

But that was Dan's opinion (still wondering though, if THIS is what got you angry, why you didn't call him a vulgar name... although I don't think anyone should have been called a name :rolleyes: )

If your son makes his own decisions, there was no point in asking the question...if you are proud of the decisions he makes, then nobody on this board would have changed that. Since you have never cruised on Carnival, some people were offering THEIR opinions in order to give you a better idea... everyone has differing opinions on this subject... and you will have an opinion once you have finished your cruise. Don't get angry just because someone's opinion is different. Dan was simply saying this is could be a time, if he didn't know already, to teach him something about different dining venues and appropriate attire.. He had no way of knowing if your son had already experienced these situations or not. I don't think his post was insinuating or accusatory.

Remember this is the Internet, you can not take anything here personal, remember sticks and stones, just let it brush off your shoulders and you will be ok.

When I feel someone is attacking me, I just laugh, because like you said, no one knows you. :)

Fred

When I feel someone is attacking me, I just laugh, because like you said, no one knows you. :)

Fred

Or, if you feel it violates the community guidelines, hit the triangle button and report the post ;)

But that was Dan's opinion (still wondering though, if THIS is what got you angry, why you didn't call him a vulgar name... although I don't think anyone should have been called a name :rolleyes: )

If your son makes his own decisions, there was no point in asking the question...if you are proud of the decisions he makes, then nobody on this board would have changed that. Since you have never cruised on Carnival, some people were offering THEIR opinions in order to give you a better idea... everyone has differing opinions on this subject... and you will have an opinion once you have finished your cruise. Don't get angry just because someone's opinion is different.

I am all about opinions. I don't appreciate insinuations and accusations. Dan suggested that I needed to teach him better and he needed to dress better. I don't recall asking about me teaching my son differently nor do I recall asking if he should dress differently. I asked:

On NON FORMAL nights in the dining room would my 20 year old son be okay to wear kakhi's (the kind with lots of pockets like young guys wear) with a t-shirt and a button up shirt overtop left open? This is way he dresses all the time and I told him I thought he would be fine. No shorts, not just a t-shirt, he will have on a shirt with a collar overtop (unbuttoned and left open). Also, is he okay to wear sandals to the dining room?

This was asked just to know if Carnival would allow this attire NOT would other cruisers approve. Just so if Carnival would not allow him to dress this way in the dining room we could plan on eating elsewhere. That way it respected both Carnival and my son. My son does make his own decisions and I am proud of him but he also asks me questions from time to time and respects the answers I give him. I would never ask my son to dress differently than he wants to or to be someone other than himself now that he is an adult. Dan suggested he dress differently and that I needed to do a better job as a parent. That is what I did not appreciate.

As for the name calling. Tell me you as an adult have never called anyone a name. PLEASE!!! And I have apologized here for that several times! I have also apologized for ever having asked this question in the first place!

All these heated threads start because the cruiselines ( and I mean all of them ) are too vague in their descriptions of what is acceptable and what is not for attire on different nights.

1. If they don't want jeans, then they should say NO JEANS and then enforce it.

2. If jackets and ties are required on formal nights then state this, and then ENFORCE it like they do at an elegant restaurant.

3.If they don't want shorts in the dining room for dinner then turn the people away who don't comply.

IMO if the cruiselines set up consistent guidelines and enforced them across the boards and not different rules depending on the staff of each ship than all these disscussions would never happen.

Sue

And you are allowing this...? Tell him to stay home then. He's 20 years old... Time to grow up... He doesn't need to be babied anymore... :rolleyes:

So... is the goal of his dining in the the dining room, to hook up with some women and get some...? :eek:

Venture

Allow this? He is 20 he makes his own decisons. He is far from babied. I didn't ask what he should wear just if what he was planning to wear was appropriate (meaning okay with Carnival not with the other passengers). If not we would make plans to eat elsewhere. Not once did I ask an opinion of what should he wear.

And your other comment of the goal of the dining room was not necessary.

Fun~N~Sun,

Your son will be just fine. There are people who tell me that I shouldn't take my 9 month old on our cruise next month, that we should dump our responsibility off on the grandparents so our child won't "offend" someone. (That's another flamefest). People can be downright mean sometimes. Dining room dress code and infants on cruises are always touchy subjects on these boards for some stupid reason.

This is directly from the Carnival web site:

"Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. "

Use that as your guide for what not to wear. My DH wears khakis and a polo type shirt on non-formal nights.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and stop reading this thread. Life's too short for arguments like this.

I'm 24, so maybe I'm not quite 20, but...

If the dress pants and shirt fit well (ie-not grandpa pants up to his belly button!), I would be impressed and think "sucessful guy who has it together." If I saw the OP's son with his cargo pants (the pants with all the pockets) and an untucked shirt, I would think "careless slob." Honestly, how many 20-somethings do you see wearing cargo pants and untucked t-shirts to good jobs?

My DH is an engineer, and since he was 19 and working he has worn dress pants, tucked in shirts, and nice dress shoes. His clothes are fitted to be young and modern (flat front dress pants, slim fit shirts, etc). Whenever I see him all ready for work (or dinner on the ship), I think to myself, "wow, how did I get such a successful, intelligent, put together guy!"

I guess it depends on what type of girl you are trying to attract! I can certainly see the TEENS swooning over a guy dressed like the OP mentioned. But, I think most 20-25 year olds wouldn't be all that impressed. Different stage in life.

This is what I am talking about:

http://www.expressfashion.com/images/db/outfit/large_300x410_10361.jpg

Versus this:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=182940&CategoryID=91&LinkType=EverGreen

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be appropriate for dinner, he won't be the worst dressed by far. It's his cruise, don't make it unenjoyable for him. But, sooner or later he will probably need some nicer clothes. Might want to give him the option of working on his wardrobe now?? If he doesn't want to, let him enjoy his time. Just make sure those sandals don't smell like sweaty feet! Hehe...

I know I'm skipping a hell of a lot of this thread to post a reply here, but BRAVO, LMC!!! Those 2 pictures show what is appropriate compared (the first pic, btw) to what is not.

Perhaps it's time for Carnival to start posting visual references....

:rolleyes:

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

You cannot hope to win this discusion becasue you are dealing with the Carnivalites. Quit worrying about them becasue in their minds even when they are wrong they are right, and they can't tell when they are wrong. They are simply TENTS.

And the moment you actually sail on a Carnival ship, THEN you can post an opinion about it....

Oh, and if you want to be snooty, learn to spell. It's "clientele".

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you're not banned yet....... :confused:

I just wanted him to be comfortable without looking like he was going to sing in the church choir but not be offensive to anyone. First of all if I told him he had to wear dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes he would tell me he wasn't going. I can't say that I would blame him especially on a vacation. The last thing I want to be on vacation is formal particularly in the tropics. If we were sailing to Europe that would be a different situation. I'm sure others have a different opinion of being formal but this is mine so save it.

I'm assuming you are paying and if your son refuses to accept a free vacation because he has to look nice in the dining room tell him to stay at home. Dressing up for certain events on a vacation is not that unusual and I don't see how it is too much to ask regardless of your age or the location. Why would a European cruise be different?

Wow!

This sure brought about a lively conversation. One thing we must concede is that appropriate is in the eyes of the beholder.

Am leaving next week for my first "bubba cruise" since 1979 (Carnivale 7 nights to St. Martin and St. Thomas).

I will show up in cotton pants and a collared shirt for the evening meal. And the "formal" night will fined me with the same, a blazer and even a tie - which i do not wear except to funerals or court.

If you do not want to listen and/or consider other's advice/opinion, do not ask the question.

Archived