Saving Lounge Chairs by the pool

BlooSky

We were on the Carnival Glory April 8 - April 15, and came across a problem we have had before. "Lounge Chair Gluttons". You know, those people who put a towel on the chair at 8 in the morning and then sit on the chair periodically during the day. This year the LC Gluttons actually decorated a T-shirt with cutsie names like "Mrs. Peach" put the shirt over the back of the chair and left it there for the next 7 hours. This was done to 8 chairs in a row. These chairs were empty for most of the day. Does this bother anyone else? I am writting a detailed letter to Carnival about this. Carnival is my favorite Cruise line and I want to keep it that way. PS Everything else was fabulous, food, staff and excursions. If this gluttonous behavior bothers you, write to Carnival and tell them, the best Cruise line needs to stay the best.

been on all cruises I've been on too. leaving chair for 1/2 hr to run to the room to get something is one thing but I agree if a chair is left unattended for longer it is fair game. We actually moved towels form chairs that were unattened for a long period of time. They should have chair patrol. lol But it is a problem. If people knew there things would be sent to "lost and found" if they leave them unattended maybe less people would do the chair saving thing.

I was instructed to be a very kind person on a Cruise, I was told that if I find items left on deck chairs for an hour or more, to please take these items to the lost and found so the owners can retrieve them.

Some people are forgetful and leave behind items that they are sure to want back.

We were on the Carnival Glory April 8 - April 15, and came across a problem we have had before. "Lounge Chair Gluttons". You know, those people who put a towel on the chair at 8 in the morning and then sit on the chair periodically during the day. This year the LC Gluttons actually decorated a T-shirt with cutsie names like "Mrs. Peach" put the shirt over the back of the chair and left it there for the next 7 hours. This was done to 8 chairs in a row. These chairs were empty for most of the day. Does this bother anyone else? I am writting a detailed letter to Carnival about this. Carnival is my favorite Cruise line and I want to keep it that way. PS Everything else was fabulous, food, staff and excursions. If this gluttonous behavior bothers you, write to Carnival and tell them, the best Cruise line needs to stay the best.

Thats about dumb. Just take the shirt off and throw it away. They deserve it. Or better yet throw their towel away so they get charged $22.00! If they return X hours later just give them a blank stare and say "What towel?"

I'm not sure what i would have done in this situation if i hadn't read these posts. Probably just left the stuff there and walked away mad. Now i think i will bring it all to lost and found like the good samaritan i am!!!;)

Last week on the Celebration chair hogging was the worst I've ever seen.

The biggest reason is there simply is not enough chairs to go around. I can understand not having a chair for every bed on a ship but they should at least have 75% of them. This would really help the cause of finding a chair which is what leads us to act this way. If you knew you could go to the pool area and just find a chair anywhere on the open deck areas there would be no need to hog it all day. It's obvious you can't always expect one by the pool because of limited space but when you see 1000's of square feet deck not being used because there are no chairs to put there, then that is the cruise ships fault. The ships have that much storage space. If you go to the pool area and can not find a chair avaiable you should be able to just ask for one like you do a towel.

It appears chair hogging is an industry wide problem. It's also a very popular topic on these boards. Most of the original posters, like here, are complaining about it after coming home from a cruise -- and not having taken any action during the cruise. Hindsight is 20/20. I guess the most prudent thing would've been to research these boards before the cruise soliciting suggestions as to how to handle this most disturbing situation of "LOUNGE CHAIR GLUTTONS"

My advice would have been this: Carnival's stated and written policy is no chair saving, period. Therefore, remove the item from the chair and sit down. Observe and wait a half an hour, if it would help abstain you from the guilts. Even take the item(s) to the lost and found via the nearest employee, if that'll help you feel better. What can the chair hogger say, if they should come back while your're on the chair? They are the one violating policy, not you.

Harvey

F5Loar, you stated there are not enough chairs. On every cruise I have been on there have been chairs stacked up not being used. You just need to know where to find them and then request a Carnival employee move it for you if you don't wish to sit on that deck. There have always been extras on the Sun deck("funnel") and spa deck. Sometimes you can even find them stacked on the port or starboard side on the Lido deck. The problem is most people are too lazy to go find one or too guilty to move the chair hogs things. I have no problem doing either and have actually done both.

There were lots of extra chairs on the Liberty the first week of April but people just felt the need to save chairs in the popular areas. I personally don't want to be where all the hoards of people are squeezed together. I like the out the way locations.

We experienced chair gluttony on the Elation last year. We watched a set of chairs left unattended with towels on them for over 3 hours. Therefore, we sat down in them (my husband took the towels and turned them in to one of the staff as abandoned towels). We enjoyed the chairs for approximately two hours when some ladies came up and confronted us. We merely told them that we didn't see anything on the chairs when we sat down on them . . . but we did notice that the staff were going around and taking towels off of chairs that had been unattended for over an hour. So maybe the staff took their items. They merely walked away. When it was time for us to get a snack. We saw a couple walking around looking for chairs. We told them that they could have ours. They said "thanks" and we told them that we were more than happy to help and that if everybody gave someone their seat when they were leaving there wouldn't be a problem with chairs. They agreed. Pay it forward works! :)

Theos

We experienced chair gluttony on the Elation last year.

Theos

Shoot I was thinking that was more of a Destiny class issue. We've been on three Fantasy class sailings and I don't remember this ever being an issue. It may be though as posted above that we tend to head to less popular areas. I guess since we tend to go way back to the aft its not as crowded :confused: .

I can just see that as I pick something up someone sends security after me for stealing. :p

I still say that inexpensive little waterproof timers (like a kitchen timer) would work. With a 30 minute maximum, if someone needed to leave the chair (bathroom, drink, food, go for a swim etc) they could set the timer for up to 30 minutes.

If a chair is found with the no one sitting in it and the timer "expired", there should be a little plastic box under the chair for Security to place the abandoned items and Security would then turn the chair over to you. The personal items of the chair hog would still be right where they can find them. And Security would be the one who actually moved it, removing the "passenger vs passenger" confrontation.

I still say that inexpensive little waterproof timers (like a kitchen timer) would work. With a 30 minute maximum, if someone needed to leave the chair (bathroom, drink, food, go for a swim etc) they could set the timer for up to 30 minutes.

If a chair is found with the no one sitting in it and the timer "expired", there should be a little plastic box under the chair for Security to place the abandoned items and Security would then turn the chair over to you. The personal items of the chair hog would still be right where they can find them. And Security would be the one who actually moved it, removing the "passenger vs passenger" confrontation.

What a GREAT idea!!

Its an issue on each and every cruise, personaly move the crap! If someone is so ignorant to leave a chair for 7 hours and my mom wants to sit down in a chrai by the pool, moving it for me is not an issue, I would not even give the the respect of taking the items to lost and found, they gave no respect to the other 15oo passengers on the cruise in need of a chair. I tend to bundle the stuff up and put it in a corner, once a person asked me about his belongings and I told him to check the corner :) he just looked at me and walked away, I enjoyed the sunshine and his day was ruined......not really much of an issue.............there is always an empty chair!

Its an issue on each and every cruise, personaly move the crap! If someone is so ignorant to leave a chair for 7 hours and my mom wants to sit down in a chrai by the pool, moving it for me is not an issue, I would not even give the the respect of taking the items to lost and found, they gave no respect to the other 15oo passengers on the cruise in need of a chair. I tend to bundle the stuff up and put it in a corner, once a person asked me about his belongings and I told him to check the corner :) he just looked at me and walked away, I enjoyed the sunshine and his day was ruined......not really much of an issue.............there is always an empty chair!

Bundle hell! I set up shop :D Start auctioning the items off to passers-by... before long, you'll have enough money for your next drink :D:D

Normally I do see extra chairs stacked up but last week on the Celebration you could not borrow, beg nor steal a chair. I asked several attendants for a chair and got no results. It may just be certain ships that don't have enough and then again a lot has to do with who is with you that week. Cruise with a large group of seniors and they are not likely to baste in the sun. Cruise a week with half the ship is spring breakers and family's with lots of kids and you got a quick chair shortage. Remember you can pick your ship, pick the places to go and pick the week you want to go but you will never be able to pick those other 2000+/- people going with you.

last week i was on conquest and i found their to be plenty of chairs. but, i did have an incident where i watched a chair with something on it for 45 minutes. i then marched myself over and picked up the stuff, moved it to the side and sat in the chair. the person came back and had the nerve to say, "you moved my stuff from my chair" and i said, "first of all, it isn't your chair and second of all, you should have been here - if you want a chair, sit your butt in it, if not, let someone else have it". although not happy, she left. lol

I was on the Pride last week - yes spring break - and we stayed mostly on the Lido - Adult only pool deck. Did not have much trouble with finding chairs. Although one time we found four empty chairs together, sat down and within minutes a man came up to me and said "Is that Your Towel?". I said yes - that all four chairs were empty when we came by - he stood there for a few seconds looking at me like he wanted to confront me then walked way. We all laughed because what I said was true, but I thought - who would say "No - you're right - I'm using your towel - here - have it back?" :rolleyes:

Here is a good one for you ..... Last year Spring Break time on the Triumph, we came across a nice large piece of prime deck space. Somebody decided to mover her chair long ways (the opposite way the chairs would normally face) So her one chair took up the space of about 5 or 6 chairs. Now you know she was no where to be found. Of course DH & I moved her chair and replaced the open space with other chairs for us and others to use properly in this spot. Well the sun goddess returned & she was not happy. She actually stood there, moaned & groaned like a child. I firmly told her that I moved her chair & how rude that was. Do you know she continued to wine. Most everyone told her she was rude & then went about their business. But do you know she carried on for so long that a group actualy moved so she could do this again. Her excuse was she wanted to face the sun directly and likes to do this so she can move her chair when she needs to.

Archived