Mercury scheduled for a face lift?

kfbesq

PS, to the OP if the Mercury is anything like the Century last year, you will be embarassed if you encourage friends to sail with you. I have no affiliation with any particular cruise line but I would look elsewhere

I disagree (again)....I also sailed Century last year and just got home

from Mercury today.

I would sail either ship again. Seems we all have different opinions

about every ship....more these days than in the past.

The ship, service, food, crew, staff and weather were fabulous

for me.:)

Was there anything I didn't like? I have never thought the layout

of the Martini Bar on Mercury was good...too small for the amount

of people who enter....but as for the condition of the ship I had

no problems.

Then again, I just seem to ALWAYS enjoy my cruises.

I disagree (again)....I also sailed Century last year and just got home

from Mercury today.

I would sail either ship again. Seems we all have different opinions

about every ship....more these days than in the past.

The ship, service, food, crew, staff and weather were fabulous

for me.:)

Was there anything I didn't like? I have never thought the layout

of the Martini Bar on Mercury was good...too small for the amount

of people who enter....but as for the condition of the ship I had

no problems.

Then again, I just seem to ALWAYS enjoy my cruises.

Just came back from the Mercury Alaska and was dinner mate(s) w/Lois. We had a wonderful time! The only negative I found was the mattress was not the best and the music was boring. Of course this is a personal opinion. Most of the music was of the WWII era. I think the music needs to be updated. In addition, most of the music was just not there when we were there.

Don't get me wrong, I HAD A FABULOURS CRUISE! The service was excellent, and so was the food. So these are just minor beefs.

I agree w/Lois that the Martini bar is miniscule and I might add that the chairs outside of the Martini bar were not comfortable. Other than that, we were very pleased.

We loved the leather chairs in the Navigation Bar.

Claudia

Just came back from the Mercury Alaska

agree I w/Lois that the Martini bar is miniscule and I might add that the chairs outside of the Martini bar were not comfortable. Other than that, we were very pleased.

Claudia

Claudia: The chairs outside the Martini Bar get more comfortable with each additional Martini. LOL

We were on Mercury's 4/17 Mexican Riviera cruise and had a great time. I agree the mattesses need some updating and hopefully that will happen went it goes into drydock.

I also believe if anyone decides not to cruise on Mercury because of some of the negative comment on this board, that is their right. I personally think they will be missing out on sailing onboard a wonderful ship.

PS, to the OP if the Mercury is anything like the Century last year, you will be embarassed if you encourage friends to sail with you. I have no affiliation with any particular cruise line but I would look elsewhere

Wow, we were on Century in Nov. & thought she was a wonderful ship. We liked the look of Century more than Mercury, but the decorations would be a personal choice. To us, everything about Century was great. You must have frequented totally different areas of the ship than we did. The one area on Century that needed desperate TLC was the Rendez-Vous Lounge. Those were the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat in, but what is a bad chair in one lounge in the grand scheme of things?

I forgot to mention our mattress on Mercury earlier. It was pretty bad. We were in an FO that cruise, & had always been in a CC before. We thought that was the reason we thought the mattress was bad.

:D:D

Claudia: The chairs outside the Martini Bar get more comfortable with each additional Martini. LOL

One Martini, Two Martini, Three Martini, floor......Pretty comfortable too George (apparently):D

As for Mercury's condition, I am with those that don't have a problem with her and this seemed to be a feeling shared by many in our Cruise Critic group too. I really loved the ship and dare I say it most of the artwork too. Always knew I was a philistine.

Phil

Hey Brad1185: I too have been concerned about the Mercury. we were booked on 12/1 sailing. I ended up cancelling and booked a SS suite on HAL Oosterdam 12/2 sailing for less than I was paying for a category 2A. 179 sqaure feet in a 2A compared to 280 square feet for the SS suite makes a huge difference, plus I understand they have heavenly beds. I'm a diehard Celebrity fan, but willing to give this a try. No way did I want to look at faded carpets, furniture etc.

SS Suites on HAL are divine, with wonderful bedding, high thread count linens and duvets, plush towels, nice balcony furniture and upgrade amenities.

Having recently been on Mercury, I think you made an excellent choice!

We sailed the Mercury around Cape Horn in 2002, and it's been our favorite Celebrity ship. We're looking forward to sailing her again in March 2008 from Auckland to Hawaii. As was stated earlier, we ALWAYS enjoy our cruises, and don't get too worked up over worn carpets!

I sailed Mercury May 6 and would not hesitate to sail her again or reccommend her to friends.The room was spotless the mattress excellent.We are thinking about a Mexican cruise over the winter

Looking at the current schedule for Mercury in 2007, there is a large hole from Sept 21- November 12. They could fill the hole with an extensive drydock or some Pacific coast cruises. We'll see.

There is no hole during this period. From 9/15-10/13, she is doing 3 and 4 day cruises out of Seattle. I will be on her when she goes from Seattle to San Diego (although we have to get off in Ensenada due to the ever-popular Jones Act) from 10/13-20. She then does 10 and 11 day Mexican cruises out of San Diego.

I was on the March 17th cruise. To be honest it was the WORST X cruise I have ever been on. Being said, sometimes things just don't happen the way you want them too. People get sick, people get inconsiderate, and people spread germs. While I do not blame Celebrity for the illness that was aboard, I am angry at them for the fact that they are compensating passengers for the cancellation of activities, and their inconvenience on the March 27th cruise, and TOTALLY writing off ours.

I have been on the Mercury prior and have ALWAYS had a great time.

I'll be back again in September for the 7 day Hubbard glacier cruise. I am hoping that the Merc. is at least close to normal..from what I hear, she is.

I like to give things a second chance, sometimes a third; before making a final judgement.

However angry I am at the response to the March 17th cruise, I can keep that a seperate chapter, and chalk it up to experience.

Dave:eek:

• 3 months later...
I sailed Mercury May 6 and would not hesitate to sail her again or reccommend her to friends.The room was spotless the mattress excellent.We are thinking about a Mexican cruise over the winter

What type of cabin did you have that had the excellent mattress, that's the cabin I want!:) Can't ever seem to understand why cruise lines don't keep up nice quality beds, heck...you are spening a load of money and expect to sleep well at least!!:mad:

Archived