When do you start packing?

newcruisers2

:eek: Ten days?? :eek:

I'm with Cathy P. -- we sail July 21 and I've got the suitcases out and starting to assemble things. My master packing list is done and as I think of things we'll need I add to it. You need to get going so you don't forget anything!!

Have a great time!!!!

We're sailing in February, and have some things set aside already. Actually there are some things that are never really unpacked, we take them where ever, and when ever, we are going. The suitcases are set out for good, about three weeks before sailing.

I find I take too much if I pack in advance, plus we really don't have the extra room to keep suitcases out. If I pack far in advance, I sometimes forget what is packed already!

So, we pack the night before, or the morning of if we're sailing locally. I have a rolling garment rack that I hang all the clothes, pressed and ready to go a couple of days prior. I have a list that I follow for all other things, such as socks and unmentionables. I have all my jewelry attached to the outfits I'm wearing, if it's costume, it stays on the garment, if it's real, it goes into my jewelry roll in my purse.

Our toiletry case is always packed and ready to go, that seems to take the longest time to organize. Over the years of travelling, we've accumulated items that only go in that case, so I never unpack it, only replenish liquids and medications. I pack my makeup in there the morning we leave, it's the last thing packed.

The docs/passports/other reservations are always prepared in advance and packed into my purse a couple of days before leaving.

We use our guestroom to start piling up the things we don't want to forget about 4-6 weeks before the cruise, a little more seems to go in there every few days. We usually start the packing, as opposed to the piling on the bed, about a week before we leave and do a last minute final pack the night before we leave. We try not to put the wrinkables in until that last night, ironed with tissue paper in between any folds and wrapped in dry cleaning bags, usually only have a few wrinkles to deal with when we get there this way. We find that if we leave the suitcases out for at least a week, the dog forgets that they are there and stops sulking until we actually head out the door with them. We'll probably start going through the clothes we think we want to take on our June cruise this coming weekend to see if they need any mending or if they need to be replaced.

Thanks for all of the great advice....I have the suitcases out and have started with all of the " non clothing " items. Tomorrow will start to iron anything that needs it and hang it on the rolling rack to be packed the night before we leave. Thanks again....:)

We leave on May 20 for Alaska and I got the suitcases out three weeks ago. I began putting some winter things in since I was starting to change over to my spring/summer clothing in the closet. I too have a couple drawers in which I call my vacation things, shawl, purses ect. that I have ready all the time.

Missygirl:)

Since we're going on a Caribbean cruise in October, and I won't be wearing my warm weather clothes in Wisconsin then, I'll probably put summer things in our guest room after I'm done wearing them for the season.

Before mid-summer, I may think about what I want us to take so I can make sure we have enough short sleeve shirts, shorts, etc while they're still in the stores.

I'll start to make choices about two weeks before the trip, matching up clothes and shoes, eliminating the excess.

We'll put everything in the suitcases (I insist on cross packing) the night before we leave.

About 2 weeks before the cruise I put out one suitcase in a central location. I tell everyone who is going that if they have something or things that they just can't cruise without to place it there. 2 or 3 days before I pack individually with each person getting all the clothes and things together. They pack for themselves. This system has worked for 22 cruises.

My Last Cruise Was In Feb ......i Just Leave All The Offical "cruise Clothes" In It Refill The Bathroom Supplies. Take Out The Shorts For This Summer. But That Way I Will Be Half Packed For Sept Cruise. Its Never To Early To Pack

One week before we are to leave for our embarkation port (we usually go 3 - 4 days early), I run off our suitcase list and medical list (DH takes a lot of prescriptions). Then we get all his prescriptions filled. The suitcases come out of the attic 6 days before we leave so that we can check them over and make certain that nothing has to be rplaced. 2 days before we leave, using the lists, the suitcases get packed.

We leave on May 20 for Alaska and I got the suitcases out three weeks ago. I began putting some winter things in since I was starting to change over to my spring/summer clothing in the closet. I too have a couple drawers in which I call my vacation things, shawl, purses ect. that I have ready all the time.

Missygirl:)

Don't forget to check the weather a couple of days before leaving, it's not always cold and rainy in Alaska! Make sure to tuck in at least one pari of shorts, a couple short sleeved T shirts and your bathing suit. Alaska was the one place I didn't pack my favorite sandals and I sorely missed them.

You can get a 10 day forecast at www.weather.com check the day before you go, it can change quickly!

I'm really pathetic ... we bought new luggage at an after-Christmas sale and they've been sitting in the guest bedroom ever since. Whenever I go shopping and see things that I just know we'll need, I pick them up and throw them in the suitcases. I guess you could say I started packing in December ... our cruise isn't until October. Told you I was pathetic! :D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

So I thought I would iron all my things that I want to take and won't let anyone wear now and put them in my grandson's closet. He never hangs anything up anyway so I figured I could use the space. I am sure most everyone remembers the teenage stage.:eek:

Archived